After replacing the screen or battery, how can I ensure that my iPhone 7 will remain water resistant?

alveree

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
After replacing the screen or battery, how can I ensure that my iPhone 7 will remain water resistant?

Hey people,

Tomorrow, finally, I will get my iPhone 7, MB,128GB (I was thinking to skip the 7, but I'm tired of the size of my 6+, and from the 16GB as well. At least hope the battery of 7 won't be worse than 6+) but I was thinking ....

If some day, I need to replace my battery, screen or something, ok, I will change them but after that - how I can be sure that the phone will be water resistant again(I know that there's something like a 'black silicone glue' between the screen and the main base of the phone, but how it can be recovered?). There is no Apple Store in my country. Also, I don't trust to the Resellers (they charge a lot more expensive, as well. For example, I order iPhone screen for 60Euro and replace it by myself, but they charge for the same - between 150 - 200 Euro(?!?!?!))

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: What about the water resistant of i7?

Welcome to iMore.

I am not sure how you could ensure the seal of the iPhone if you replace the screen yourself. Only way to guarantee the seal is to have  do the repair. I suggest being careful with your phone, but I do understand that accidents happen.

alveree

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site

Thank you :) and thank you for your reply.

So, at all, the phone is water resistant if only stays in the box .... After some drops (which is normal) or after some replacement of parts .... all is gone. Potty  marketing.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Thank you :) and thank you for your reply.

So, at all, the phone is water resistant if only stays in the box .... After some drops (which is normal) or after some replacement of parts .... all is gone. Potty  marketing.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with Apples marketing of the waterproofness/resistance as clearly they expect the phone to be in top condition for it to be so.
Any device that is deemed as such will have certain tolerances and if those are compromised, all bets are off. I've got a dive watch, but if I were to crack the screen or damage the casing then it would stand to reason that it may not be water tight anymore.
One thing though, if you're that concerned about it and do damage the phone, just make sure Apple fix it and not a 3rd party.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

I believe every other manufacturer should follow apple and offer water resistance smartphones

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I believe every other manufacturer should follow apple and offer water resistance smartphones

Most do. In fact, Apple was a little late to the party by just now offering water resistance.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What about the water resistance of iPhone 7?

Sorry, but most don't. Apart from Samsung and Sony, which do you think that do?

I was just stating that Apple certainly isn't a leader in the water resistance game. In addition to Samsung, Sony and Apple, HTC and Motorola also have water resistant phones. It's slowly becoming a standard feature in flagship devices. The Pixel probably would have been but I think Google was just trying to get a new phone on the market sooner rather than later.

alveree

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site

I'd say there is nothing wrong with Apples marketing of the waterproofness/resistance as clearly they expect the phone to be in top condition for it to be so.
Any device that is deemed as such will have certain tolerances and if those are compromised, all bets are off. I've got a dive watch, but if I were to crack the screen or damage the casing then it would stand to reason that it may not be water tight anymore.
One thing though, if you're that concerned about it and do damage the phone, just make sure Apple fix it and not a 3rd party.

A device that is a main part of the user's life ... nobody can't expect to be in top condition. Absoluteley Utopia! But also, why would Apple expect that when they even can't guarantee that the phone is water resistant (there are many options that they could wrote when the guarantee is not valid, but even as a new phone - they don't)? And I'm not talking about cracked screen or something 'big', just normal use, which includes drops.
I use iPhone from 8 years and all possible Apple products, as well, but for first time I got the feeling that Apple become more commercial and unsure than user-friendly and reliable.

The cracked screen replacement of iPhone 6 Plus (updated info to 31.10.2016) is 140?, the battery is 70? if I go to Apple auth service (as I said we don't have any Apple
Store). Sum - 210?. In Bulgaria, an European country, it's insane! I bought the phone TWO years ago for 550?. I would NEVER EVER pay tha half of the price of something or something which is TWO years old.
But! I changed the screen and the battery by myself for 55? - screen, 20? battery. - 75? sum.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: What about the water resistance of iPhone 7?

I was just stating that Apple certainly isn't a leader in the water resistance game. In addition to Samsung, Sony and Apple, HTC and Motorola also have water resistant phones. It's slowly becoming a standard feature in flagship devices. The Pixel probably would have been but I think Google was just trying to get a new phone on the market sooner rather than later.
Your right, they are not the first. Lately Apple is known for following another manufacturer idea and marketing has they invented it, in my opinion. What HTC smartphone is water resistant?

Cheers

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What about the water resistance of iPhone 7?

Water resistance is not an important feature for 99% of phone users

It's reassuring if nothing else. I don't make a habit out of getting my phone wet but the one time I did I wish it had been water resistant. My iPhone 6s Plus was destroyed from less than 30 seconds in the water.

Last edited:

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

It's reassuring if nothing else. I don't make it a habit out of getting my phone wet but the one time I did I wish it had been water resistant. My iPhone 6s Plus was destroyed from less than 30 seconds in the water.
Exactly! When it happens your screwed

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Exactly! When it happens your screwed

Yep! Luckily I had AppleCare+ but it was still $100 I would have rather spent elsewhere and a wasted afternoon going to the Apple Store and setting up a new phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73