Volume indicator gone

StlVols

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
So every now and then the volume indicator when I press the volume buttons just disappears. The volume still goes up and down, and the ringer indicator still shows up, but the volume indicator just disappears. When I restart my iPhone 7, it comes back. However the problem comes back after about a week. How can I fix this? Has anyone else had this problem? My software is up to date btw

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! If the hard reset doesn't work permanently, you might try Reset All Settings.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

If that doesn't work, the only thing left to try is a restore as new. Not from a back up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not yet. You can try going to Settings → General → Reset to select "Reset All Settings" to see if that fixes the problem. If not, you might want to consider restoring your device.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So does this happen when playing videos or something. If so that's by design as to not cover up the viewing area. It's been noted in the early betas.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had this issue occasionally on my iPad mini 2 as well. I find that if I just reboot, the volume indicators return like normal.

StlVols

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
So does this happen when playing videos or something. If so that's by design as to not cover up the viewing area. It's been noted in the early betas.

No it happens at times when the indicator should be there, like while playing games. It's only happened twice to me and turning the phone off has fixed the issue both times.

Daniel Hall5

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! If the hard reset doesn't work permanently, you might try Reset All Settings.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

If that doesn't work, the only thing left to try is a restore as new. Not from a back up.

This is the worst cookie cutter advice in the world. "Throw away years of data and maybe fix the issue". It's a software bug that I'm seeing as well, and it will likely be fixed by a 10.x update

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is the worst cookie cutter advice in the world. "Throw away years of data and maybe fix the issue". It's a software bug that I'm seeing as well, and it will likely be fixed by a 10.x update

No, it is NOT the worst advice in the world. It's actually darn good advice. With the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, a mere reboot can solve a good deal of problems. "Resetting All Settings" does not "throw away years of data", but does exactly what was stated above, and furthermore, it often fixes problems. *If* it is a software bug, it might indeed be fixed via a future update, but it also could be a corrupt setting or something. Welcome to iMore, by the way, and I hope your subsequent posts will display kindness and appreciation. Take care.

Daniel Hall5

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
No, it is NOT the worst advice in the world. It's actually darn good advice. With the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, a mere reboot can solve a good deal of problems. "Resetting All Settings" does not "throw away years of data", but does exactly what was stated above, and furthermore, it often fixes problems. *If* it is a software bug, it might indeed be fixed via a future update, but it also could be a corrupt setting or something. Welcome to iMore, by the way, and I hope your subsequent posts will display kindness and appreciation. Take care.

My apologies if you were offended. I'll be s little more specific and hopefully diplomatic. Telling a user to do a restore that is not from a back up and bringing it back as effectively a brand new device to fix a cosmetic issue is irresponsible advice provided by the poster, especially if they have never performed this action before. Years of health data will be lost, and if they forget to unpair an Apple Watch tired to the iPhone, further data loss can be incurred.
Reset all settings is less destructive, but still potentially inconvenient.

jakeforslane1

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
So every now and then the volume indicator when I press the volume buttons just disappears. The volume still goes up and down, and the ringer indicator still shows up, but the volume indicator just disappears. When I restart my iPhone 7, it comes back. However the problem comes back after about a week. How can I fix this? Has anyone else had this problem? My software is up to date btw

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8102911
I have the same problem I updated in above thread.

Is your problem resolved? What exactly you did?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2