Live Photos

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So I have an iPhone 7 now and looks like I have the ability to do Live Photos. What exactly is the purpose of that or benefit of that or when does it start and when does it and as far as the timeframe that you're taking the picture?

Also, I noticed when I did a back up to the Amazon photo cloud it does not retain the feature. Will that be true when I take the photos and put them on my computer? I'm wondering how you retain that feature of the live photo?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It starts recording when you open the app. It saves 1.5 seconds before you snap the picture and 1.5 seconds after.. so 3-seconds. It's like a mini-video. I don't know a way to save them on Amazon, will leave that for someone else.

Reason for it? Not sure.. like emoticons, not sure if there is a reason, just another way of expressing something.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, three seconds thank you.

Is there a back-up service that will save them? Also, I just put them on my PC and they don't play. Why is that and is there a way to save them so they will? Seems stupid if they can't be saved.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Is there a back-up service that will save them? Also, I just put them on my PC and they don't play. Why is that and is there a way to save them so they will? Seems stupid if they can't be saved.

I believe (as I am just trying to remember what I read, as I don't use them) that they do back up to iCloud so you can store / sync with other iOS devices like an iPad. I a not sure about saving to a PC or even a Mac.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
WEll, found the flaw. They will back-up yes however can't view them in Windows so theoretically if I wanted to save from Google photos to my hard drive they will be a regular picture. So, yes on ios app but no if I actually want to save them to my PC for posterity Guess I need to make sure I download photos to my PC on a regular basis to be safe.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
WEll, found the flaw. They will back-up yes however can't view them in Windows so theoretically if I wanted to save from Google photos to my hard drive they will be a regular picture. So, yes on ios app but no if I actually want to save them to my PC for posterity Guess I need to make sure I download photos to my PC on a regular basis to be safe.

Was guessing it was a proprietary to ios feature. Samsung has motion photos, but they do not have audio.

For me, while taking a live photo of a flag blowing in the wind would be cool, per the Apple advertisement last year. The key for me is the audio. For example if you are taking a family photo at a holiday gathering or something. Have not purchased an iPhone yet, so have zero experience though.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You can save them or upload them to several cloud based apps. They will work in that app. But they will no longer work if you save back to the camera roll. I use 2 apps. One I change the live photo to a video. Then upload it to Box. Then if desired, I save back to the camera roll as a video, then use the other app to change it back to a live photo. LOL A gif would have no sound. But you could keep them as a short video. There's not anything else you can do that I'm aware of.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't get the point to them? I mean it takes a 3 second video around the photo you take but that's it. You can't edit the photo to be a still from the video, you have to use VLC to get them to play on Windows and you'd need video editing software to grab a still from them.

I turned them off because I just didn't want the room wasted on my phone having however many movie files that are no use to me sat in my camera roll

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't get the point to them? I mean it takes a 3 second video around the photo you take but that's it. You can't edit the photo to be a still from the video, you have to use VLC to get them to play on Windows and you'd need video editing software to grab a still from them.

I turned them off because I just didn't want the room wasted on my phone having however many movie files that are no use to me sat in my camera roll

How to extract a still shot from a Live Photo | iMore

:)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I make very few live photos. My Christmas tree is my favorite. It's cool on the lock screen and my grandkids got a kick out of it. Kids love it, especially if they are in the photo or if their pet is in it. Pets are cool in live photos. So are waterfalls and...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73