Problem with iPhone Upgrade Program and Discover.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have to say the program was a fail to me. I went in to pick up my 7 plus that I was going to get and return the 7. Arrived, they got the phone and did everything and when it came to payment, my Discover card was declined. I was amazed since I had the money available on the card and we pulled up my account to look at it and nothing was sent through. I called Discover and she looked at her system and seen the problem right away. The way its sent through is as a cash advance and not a credit charge. I only have a $50 cash advance since it was the min they would met me get and they were trying to get $107. Asked about changing the cash advance to a higher level and she said it could be done but would not process until next cycle which I thought was weird.

I went ahead and took the 7 back to T-Mobile and ordered the 7 plus which is what I really was wanting and returned the apple battery case to the apple store. The guy at this store (different than the upgrade store I went to) said that it happens with Discover a lot and there are a lot of customers declined due to that.

I got the e-mail from Citizens and it sure enough said I was denied to due declined card.

To me, its a failure of the system. If they know its an issue, they should fix it instead of letting it continue. They are losing out on plenty of qualified customers and such.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apple upgrade program=Fail

Wow, sorry. Sounds like Discover Card fail rather than Apple. Or Citizen's Bank... Apple more the messenger in this scenario.

Still, the experience sucks. Sorry, dude :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

That stinks but I have to agree with @Rocket_Girl on this. It's more of an issue with Citizens and Discover than with Apple. No different than getting mad at the car dealership because the bank declined your loan.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, totally seems like a fail on the part of the card you chose to use not a fail on the part of Apple's program.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I see it as a fail on the way they attempt to withdraw the money. They, as discover put it, ran it as a cash advance and not a normal charge. The way Citizens bank attempts to pull it is the problem.