Memory Usage

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Long time iPhone user here. Just set up my new 7. Fresh install, set up as new. I noticed that when I look at settings>general>storage&iCloud usage, I am using memory for saved messages and mail. Now, I have no messages on the phone and why would mail use memory? I understand over time messages will use memory until I delete them however why would I show usage now with nothing saved?

As far as mail, what does that number mean? I have nothing stored so to say, just use gmail in my mail app. What is it saving that requires memory usage?

One last question, I heard a rumor a long time back that every message you send or photo, the iPhone retains a copy so even if you delete all the messages and messages with photos, some memory is still locked away in use. Is there any truth to this and what can I do besides restoring monthly?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Your storage takes into account emails in your sent and trash folders. You should check them out.

As for the last question, that's false.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that's a rumor I heard a long time ago.

As far as G-Mail using memory, that kind of confuses me because I'm not purposely saving anything as I thought that was all managed online? I thought the mail app was more of a tool to access the online account. So, the only way to reduce what is used is to delete anything I see in trash or sent? It seems as I pull down on sent or trash to refresh it loads more messages thus using more memory? If I i open say one of my folders with saved messages in it will it then downlaod that to my phone and if so short of deleting them how to I keep them from using my memory?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Note that this is storage and not "memory".

How many days of email is your iPhone set to sync? Settings > Mail > Accounts > select the email account > "Mail Days to Sync" (note this only applies to certain types of email)
Also check each email account to see what the settings are for handling deleted emails.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The mail app itself takes a little storage space. Other than that, it's your mail. If you have set up your email account /accounts, there should be something there. Also where are you looking? Phone storage or iCloud storage?
Did you set up the phone as new, or with a back up?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I set go as new. In iPhone storage is where I see it.

The messages app takes up space without messages. It now has some new features. I think what you see are the apps themselves. No messages or emails. When I got on the iOS 10 beta, I noticed messages took more storage space than I thought should have. I deleted all my messages, but it still took over 300 mb. I then realized it was the new features.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Right now it showing about 58 mb. It grows as I get more messages. When I click on it it shows as messages then in parentheses saved

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Right now it showing about 58 mb. It grows as I get more messages. When I click on it it shows as messages then in parentheses saved

Yeah, nothing to worry about. You can reduce a lot by deleting the images and videos in messages. Also you can tap on "attachments", and delete those.
My messages:
fdc4cb950debacacf4fc86caa7217b80.png

Looks like I need to delete some.
deb22c15627fe4a1a045a845f314df52.png

Attachments:
c2538684438e4b3750e15b143c241bdb.jpg

Esthersunny

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I wonder which kind of storage of i7 you got, 32G or 128G? I just wanna know whether 32G is enough for me if I download games like Asphalt 8. And btw, I also love taking and saving pictures and videos for fun. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I wonder which kind of storage of i7 you got, 32G or 128G? I just wanna know whether 32G is enough for me if I download games like Asphalt 8. And btw, I also love taking and saving pictures and videos for fun. :)

You do all that and 32 (which is more 28) won't last long. Depends on how many huge games, photos and videos. Videos take a lot of space, especially 1080p and 4k. 720p not so bad. Any music?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set to back-up when I'm plugged in and on wi-fi so I'm always covered in case I forget. I'll keep your suggestion in mind and also use the expires after 30days to keep them cleaned up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have mine set to back-up when I'm plugged in and on wi-fi so I'm always covered in case I forget. I'll keep your suggestion in mind and also use the expires after 30days to keep them cleaned up.

If you do the auto back up, be sure to keep your "deleted Photos" album cleared out. Those can add up and take up a lot of iCloud storage space. It's why I no longer do the auto back ups. I started getting emails from Apple telling me I was almost out of iCloud storage. It was the deleted photos album taking space. Also app cache and messages.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow, I just checked mine and my messages is over 2GB. But I guess I don't worry much with my 64GB iPhone. But thank you as I at least know how to delete this stuff if the need ever arises.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Gotca, I will keep an eye on that! Do you use the standard 5 GB or do you pay extra for more space?

I've stayed within my 5 free gb since my first iPhone 4? years ago. I currently have 2.5 gb available in iCloud. But I don't back up photos to iCloud. I use Box and Dropbox.