My phone is dead. Like dead.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Last night my phone died. My brand new, 4 day old phone. Was using an app at around 4% battery. Died. Put it on the charger. Had the little battery icon on the screen. Usually, it pops back on in about 5-10 minutes if it was dead. Well, never did. I was like "hm." So I let it charge overnight. Woke up, got it from the charger, and thankfully don't rely on that as my main alarm because again, nothing. I wondered if maybe my cable got disconnected or something...nope. So I got in to work, put it on my work charger. Nothing. Still nothing. Been 20 minutes. Nothing. No idea wtf is going on. I have no way to do DFU til I get home, and really no time to do that this week. But I guess Ill be rearranging my entire week to go to Apple after work.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
You have tried a few things. Here are my suggestions. Try another cable. Try charging it both with a computer and a wall charger. This will eliminate several things. I have had a phone do this before. Not a new phone mind you. How I solved it was leaving it plugged in for 24 hours and it came to life. Has never happened again. But seeing as your phone is new, your idea of going to Apple is probably the best thing to do. Good luck and I hope you get it solved.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I am working with Apple Support right now. The one that I used overnight is the one that came with this phone, so that's not a good thing, though it worked fine the first time. I am using a third cable right now, one that I actually just opened the other day and haven't used yet. The phone has been on that cable for a half hour, and popped on about 2/3 of the way through the Apple chat (the options the site gave me were chat, send in for service or bring in for service. I thought I'd start with chat...) He has had me reset it three times in a row, the new way which is just weird. So far it's charging correctly. I am supposed to take my new cable and other cable in to the store at my convenience for replacements, just to rule out that those are the issues.

I am going to try to get to the store tonight. They can't make an appointment prior to like next Friday.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I am working with Apple Support right now. The one that I used overnight is the one that came with this phone, so that's not a good thing, though it worked fine the first time. I am using a third cable right now, one that I actually just opened the other day and haven't used yet. The phone has been on that cable for a half hour, and popped on about 2/3 of the way through the Apple chat (the options the site gave me were chat, send in for service or bring in for service. I thought I'd start with chat...) He has had me reset it three times in a row, the new way which is just weird. So far it's charging correctly. I am supposed to take my new cable and other cable in to the store at my convenience for replacements, just to rule out that those are the issues.

I am going to try to get to the store tonight. They can't make an appointment prior to like next Friday.

Ugh. So sorry. Go to the Galleria location let us know how it goes.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I spent like 4 hours at the Galleria, and after a clean restore, and hardware check we think we figured it out...it was that speck case.

I think the hole for the charging port is not big enough and the cable connection isn't working. When I took the case off, perfect. If I tried to charge with it on? It would not fully connect. I returned it.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I spent like 4 hours at the Galleria, and after a clean restore, and hardware check we think we figured it out...it was that speck case.

I think the hole for the charging port is not big enough and the cable connection isn't working. When I took the case off, perfect. If I tried to charge with it on? It would not fully connect. I returned it.

Whoa. You'd think they would quality test that! Glad it wasn't the hardware.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Whoa. You'd think they would quality test that! Glad it wasn't the hardware.

NO KIDDING! I got the clear one today with a pattern and that one also looks like it could be snug. But I sent the inked one back the other day, so I am going to find out tonight if the clear one is also an issue. I do like this clear one though. Need to snap a pic.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Frustrating. Glad everything has seemingly worked out for you

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Frustrating. Glad everything has seemingly worked out for you

It was very frustrating. But thankfully it has worked out. I am keeping an eye on everything, and if something weird happens again, I will be heading back.

I have a speck inked case and I use the apple dock and it works fine with a case. That's strange.

Yea it was VERY weird. I use a different dock but it was a really oddball situation. So far I haven't had a repeat though.

Yes, try another cable. If it doesn't work, go to Apple Store.

Problem was already resolved a day or so ago.. it was the case, not allowing the phone to be fully connected / plugged in.

This. And so far no further replication of said issue.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77