First iPhone ever

justins24

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Well I love tech and wanted to give the iPhone a try and used my jump on demand at t-mobile and got the ip7. I'm really trying to like this phone but there are so many limitations with it.

No real customization what so ever. The lack of a real back button is frustrating. The image quality from the camera is not that great. The keyboard is atrocious. The fact that you can't download files is another thing that's mind boggling. You can't side load apps with out apple blocking it even though it's your phone. This is some of my observations. Also no real widgets.

The one thing I can say I like is how the apple does release the os on set date and time.

I really want to like this device, but it is not meeting up to its expectations.

stefanbechen

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, at the end of the day you might realise that an Android phone would serve you better. It is not the phone or the OS that is the issue, it is what you plan to do with it and what UX actually makes you productive.

So no good phone or bad phone - just one fits while the other does not.

FWIW

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Give it a few days. Everyone feels differently and the iPhone may not be the right device to meet your use cases.

Welcome to imore!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

Those are all valid observations but you must understand that iOS is not, and will never be, like Android. You can download Swiftkey, if you used that on your Android devices (I did, it was a no-brainer for me to use it on iOS too) and that may alleviate your keyboard concerns.

You get used to not having a back button. Trust me, if you stick around, after a while you'll not even notice it is missing.

The fact that you can't sideload apps is a plus, in my opinion. It means that iOS is potentially far more secure than Android. Just looks at the recent legal cases against Apple by the FBI etc trying to get into iPhones That just does not happen with Android.

I feel you on the file downloading. I wish I could too but then that goes against the security point above, so it will never happen. You can get apps to download files into. I use Goodreader for .pdfs, .docs and many more. You can link it to many of the popular loud storage apps to help facilitate moving docs about. Again, after a while you get used to it.

The camera is something only you can solve though. I think my phones give me adequate pictures. If I want top-end photos, I pull out my Nikon but for a point-and-shoot camera in my back pocket, it's perfectly fine for me. If you want a high-end camera in your phone then you are going to have to look back at Android.

the thing is, iPhones are either love or hate. If you come from Android, you either except the 'imitations' Apple puts on their devices in the name of security, or stability, or whatever, and appreciate what you have is a phone that largely 'just works' without tinkering under the hood, or, you go back to Android to get the exact user experience you desire.

Either way, as an Android and iOS owner myself, they are two totally different ecosystems that cater to different people with different requirements.

You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, I kind of feel you went into it comparing it to android. You didn't really give it a fair try. Everyone knows android is better at customization so you knew that from the beginning. You should of just stuck with your android if you wasn't going to give it a fair try. Just my opinion

mariusfilip

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Well I love tech and wanted to give the iPhone a try and used my jump on demand at t-mobile and got the ip7. I'm really trying to like this phone but there are so many limitations with it.

No real customization what so ever. The lack of a real back button is frustrating. The image quality from the camera is not that great. The keyboard is atrocious. The fact that you can't download files is another thing that's mind boggling. You can't side load apps with out apple blocking it even though it's your phone. This is some of my observations. Also no real widgets.

The one thing I can say I like is how the apple does release the os on set date and time.

I really want to like this device, but it is not meeting up to its expectations.
what device did you own before?

justins24

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I was using the note 7 but we all know how that turned out. I was originally not going to get the IP7 but decided to because I wanted to give it a fair shot as I am sure some of you may have used android before but moved over to the iphone. I have 13 days now to return it and will still give it a try for now.

anon(9408097)

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I was using the note 7 but we all know how that turned out. I was originally not going to get the IP7 but decided to because I wanted to give it a fair shot as I am sure some of you may have used android before but moved over to the iphone. I have 13 days now to return it and will still give it a try for now.

I used Apple for 3 years. Then Android for three years. And now I'm using Apple again.

And let me tell you, all of your concerns are valid. I adapt quickly. So i did. And i started seeing things at which the iPhone was better and tried to forget about the compromises. The only pros I found were that the hardware ages flawlessly and that the apps work smoother and better on the iPhone.

Have to mention here too that I really really believe from the bottom of my heart that material design and app designs are better on Android. But none of the Apple people agree with me. Anyways.

Because I adapted well I asked a friend to give the iPhone a shot too after using Android from the beginning. And he had the EXACT issues you're having. He couldn't do it. He switched back to Android. And i remember the message he sent the day he went back. It was 'It feels like I'm home again. I can finally breathe'.

Give it a try. IPhone isn't for everyone. Android is definitely built for everyone. But sadly it doesn't have the Apple logo on it so it eliminates a few percentage of people. If you don't like it then return it.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I, too, have given android 2-3 "fair shakes" and could never truly love it. It was too laggy and buggy for me. And too fragmented so I couldn't get updates or have consistency across devices. And this is coming from someone who was obsessed with jailbreaking and tweaking devices for years. I thought android would work great for me.

My husband love android. Refused to try iPhone until his LG G4 suddenly crapped out and he had to use my 6s for a few weeks. He, like you, could not adjust. But he really never gave it a chance. Not sure that he would ever give it a chance, but whatever. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I liked android also but have been iPhone since the screens got bigger (iPhone 6 plus, 6s and now the 7). I came from the note 2. It was a good phone but I don't miss the pen or anything really. Actually I do miss split screen, that is the only thing I miss.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
You said iPhone 7 doesn't live up to its expectations. You're wrong it does. It just doesn't live up to your expectations

Edit: also why is a screen full of widgets not good enough widgets? I rather have them in one place then lose them on multiple screens like android does

Last edited:

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I have tried and enjoyed both operating systems. I've even used a windows phone and didn't mind that either except for the lousy app support. As others have said, to really give it a fair try will take several days. When I switched to iPhone from Android, I wanted to return it so badly the first few days but now if I try to go back to android I can't. Both are good platforms, but iOS works best for me. Good luck with your decision. You'll end up with something good one way or the other.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Since the 7 plus is back ordered, will be interested to see what your view is in another 10 days if you keep it that long. I too am currently on the android side. But want to give a fair shot between, well the 7's from Apple & Samsung.

Curiously & think I am the only person that ever asks this. Is there difference in signal/reception for you between your Note 7 & your iPhone 7?

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Prior to having an iPhone I was a die-hard android user. I never would have made the switch. I was very anti iPhone. Prior to that it was blackberry. I can say that I have been on an iPhone since the 5 was released, having purchased the 4s and then getting the 5 not long after. So I have had the 4s,5,5s,6 plus and 6s plus prior to getting the 7 plus. I could never go back to android. It just does not work as efficiently as an iPhone does. At all. That is just my opinion. If you want your phone to do what android devices do, you should consider going back to an android device.

robsawalker

May 17, 2015
Visit site

You really need to give it some time. It's different with different strengths and weaknesses. You'll get it, and begin to appreciate it I'm sure.

arkfirefighter

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I am anxious on how the experience will go for me as well. I've been an android user since the day the first Droid came out. Ordered the Iphone 7 plus and should be here next week. MY gf talked me into giving it a shot so had to return the note 7 anyways so decided why not.

optimummind

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site

I feel you. I recently bought an iPhone SE for the wifey who wanted a second, smaller phone for when leaving the house and I ran into limitations that were pretty frustrating. Her daily phone is the pink Note 4 N910C.

The gallery app is a huge friggin mess b/c despite moving pics into albums, the pics still exist inside the Camera Roll and if I delete the pics inside the Roll, they also get deleted inside the albums. I find that very stupid & unintuitive.

The lack of a back button - hardware or software - is also inconvenient. Even on the small 4" iPhone SE, having to stretch my hand every time to go back is a pain.

And as you mentioned, the lack of customization options feels very stuffy & suffocating (no deep automation apps like Tasker and Macrodroid, no truly custom keyboards, no personal homescreens, no way to change icons, etc).

But the iPhone has good points too, I have learned. I love its superb battery standby time (Google has serious wakelock issues), decent camera, and prompt app updates.

When at home, my wife uses the Note 4 but carries the iPhone SE when going out b/c it fits better into her bags & clothes.

If Apple would make a few changes, I would consider trying the iPhone as my daily driver.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR