Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Craig
  • 1 Post By luvesuga
  • 1 Post By Craig
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Here's my deal. I reserved my iphone 7 using my daughter's line. Don't ask me why. It was 2am and none of my orders were going through. Anyway, now I can't activate the phone with my sim. It's forcing me to do it on hers. Question is - if I do that, it will probably automatically deactivate her current active sim, right? Will I be able to just swap out her current sim with the newly activated sim once I get through activation?

    Reason I'm being careful is because I don't want to mess up her line just bc I want to play with my new phone. At the same time, I really want to avoid having to go to AT&T tomorrow to straighten this out. I've already called Apple and they were totally clueless.

    Anyone have ideas?
  2. #2  
    sx4dude2013's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    617 Global Posts

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    Here's my deal. I reserved my iphone 7 using my daughter's line. Don't ask me why. It was 2am and none of my orders were going through. Anyway, now I can't activate the phone with my sim. It's forcing me to do it on hers. Question is - if I do that, it will probably automatically deactivate her current active sim, right? Will I be able to just swap out her current sim with the newly activated sim once I get through activation?

    Reason I'm being careful is because I don't want to mess up her line just bc I want to play with my new phone. At the same time, I really want to avoid having to go to AT&T tomorrow to straighten this out. I've already called Apple and they were totally clueless.

    Anyone have ideas?
    Should be able to swap sims once it's active. Or power off and restart with your sim out of your old iPhone in your new iPhone. I had trouble activating on Verizon with the preinstalled sim. I turned off my new iPhone. Took my old sim out of my iPhone 6s and put in my new iPhone and powered it up and it activated no problem
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by sx4dude2013 View Post
    Should be able to swap sims once it's active. Or power off and restart with your sim out of your old iPhone in your new iPhone. I had trouble activating on Verizon with the preinstalled sim. I turned off my new iPhone. Took my old sim out of my iPhone 6s and put in my new iPhone and powered it up and it activated no problem
    I've already tried your second suggestion. My sim didn't work in the new phone. It wants to activate using her sim. I guess I could try putting her current sim in there and see if that works.
  4. #4  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    That was my problem.. it's why I went to AT&T

    Based on the followings "IF"
    If her phone still has her SIM
    If your new phone has a NEW SIM (even if on her #)
    If your old SIM is compatible (we know it is...)

    You use the NEW sim to activate the phone.. when you go to activate you will see HER number. Activate anyway and go through the set up. Once activated you swap sims at that time. You take that sim out of that phone, put it in the one you're giving her.. you take your sim out of your phone and in the one you're keeping.

    I got scared when I saw my wife's phone number tied to the IMEI number. So I went to AT&T and we're good now. I could have done it at home, but was worried in case I locked the phone post activation.
    eyecrispy and luvesuga like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    That was my problem.. it's why I went to AT&T

    Based on the followings "IF"
    If her phone still has her SIM
    If your new phone has a NEW SIM (even if on her #)
    If your old SIM is compatible (we know it is...)

    You use the NEW sim to activate the phone.. when you go to activate you will see HER number. Activate anyway and go through the set up. Once activated you swap sims at that time. You take that sim out of that phone, put it in the one you're giving her.. you take your sim out of your phone and in the one you're keeping.

    I got scared when I saw my wife's phone number tied to the IMEI number. So I went to AT&T and we're good now. I could have done it at home, but was worried in case I locked the phone post activation.
    I actually JUST took her current sim out of her phone and activated my 7 with it and it activated just fine. I am not sure why I didn't think of it earlier. Anyway, things seem to be working. Hopefully, I didn't mess anything up for her.
  6. #6  
    luvesuga's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    I had to do the same with my husband's. He has the new sim and it's working well. Getting all his calls and texts.
    eyecrispy likes this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by luvesuga View Post
    I had to do the same with my husband's. He has the new sim and it's working well. Getting all his calls and texts.
    Good to know. Hopefully, ATT doesn't auto-activate her new sim and mess her up sometime down the road.
  8. #8  
    luvesuga's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    Good to know. Hopefully, ATT doesn't auto-activate her new sim and mess her up sometime down the road.
    That's why I went ahead and activated the new one for him. Just in case.
  9. #9  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    Good to know. Hopefully, ATT doesn't auto-activate her new sim and mess her up sometime down the road.
    Finally smooth for us, my wife is using my iPhone 6 and I am on the 7 w/o issue. The only issue i had is unrelated and I lost my folders when doing a sync.. that's my own mess.. my OCD is kicking in and I need to organize!!!! LOL
    eyecrispy likes this.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Finally smooth for us, my wife is using my iPhone 6 and I am on the 7 w/o issue. The only issue i had is unrelated and I lost my folders when doing a sync.. that's my own mess.. my OCD is kicking in and I need to organize!!!! LOL
    Good luck with that!
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    I always remove the pre installed SIM before I ever turn it on and put mine in then turn it on .. then toss the new back up SIM in the box lol phone goes to correct line on account reguardless of how upgrade was processed ...
  12. #12  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    I always remove the pre installed SIM before I ever turn it on and put mine in then turn it on .. then toss the new back up SIM in the box lol phone goes to correct line on account reguardless of how upgrade was processed ...
    Did no work for my phone.. I took out the sim that came with the phone, put mine in from the iPhone 6 and it showed up to activate my wife's number. Even though it was my sim on my number, the phone was registered through the IMEI to her number.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Did no work for my phone.. I took out the sim that came with the phone, put mine in from the iPhone 6 and it showed up to activate my wife's number. Even though it was my sim on my number, the phone was registered through the IMEI to her number.
    I forgot to mention I'm on Verizon not att
  14. #14  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: Activating iPhone 7 on different number

    Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    I forgot to mention I'm on Verizon not att
    Well there is that! ;-)

Similar Threads

  1. Whites are off on 7 plus
    By MiXoLoGiSt in forum iPhone 7 Plus
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-20-2016, 09:30 AM
  2. Why isn't the SIM opening tool provided with the iPhone 7?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-18-2016, 08:44 PM
  3. How to get bold letters on iPhone 7 keyboard.
    By knotsure in forum iPhone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2016, 08:38 AM
  4. Any IOS 10 problems on iPhone 6 (Telus carrier) ?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 11:17 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 10:43 PM

Posting Permissions