Owners -- What does the new home button feel like?

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I like it. With the home button setting on 3 it almost feels like an actual button. On 2 it feels like something else is going on, 1 was a little too weak for my liking.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I like the way it feels. Actually I like it a lot! It feels very good and the double tap works pretty good. I have had my iPhone 7 for a couple hours and the old home button already seems outdated, lol. Just one less part to break

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It's different. But the more I use the phone the more I get use to the feel. I think for some long time iPhone users like me it may take a bit of use to become second nature to use.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't say I dislike it, I have been playing with my iPhone since it arrived 3 hours ago and I have to say: I like the feel of the new button so far.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Taking me some time. I was futzing with it a bit last night. But I had to take my iPhone back to AT&T and by the time I got home, did a restore to get my phone set.. did a sync and lost all my folders, I had no time to play before I passed out. Now it's 2:30am and I can't sleep. Will play more tomorrow. That being said, for me it's odd. I have to keep fighting with it to do stuff and not always get Siri. Also I my "iCloud Backup" won't turn on so was and am fighting that. I did not realize that you don't use the home button for a hard reset now. That was beyond frustrating. I thought I had a bad home button. But now I have a dozen screen captures of my home screen... All that to say.. will take me a while to adjust. It's odd. I set my feedback to 3, I like the stronger feel, will see how that works

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have my home button set to 3 on my new iPhone 7. I love how it feels. To me it doesn't feel like a click, but you do feel a vibration of sorts that registers to my hand as a click but I don't sense a movement. I think this is better, one less thing that could break. I've quickly become used to double or single tapping on this. The new home button is not a pain point.

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I set mine on 2. But i didn't have to adjust to it. Mine felt right straight out of the box. I was expecting this crazy experience, but to me it feels very natural.

ekneeiphone

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
It works. Set it at 3 and feels natural. Have no problem with it. My wife had a little more timing adjusting on her new 7.
Btw the crazy thing is when you shut the phone off or have no battery left, the button is not there , no feel at all when you press it. It really is a slight of hand, amazing.

Last edited:

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the fence about it TBH. I love the force touch trackpads on my macbooks (12" and 15" mbp) for sure.
I hope they come out with a user setting (say from 1-10 with a slider) AND adjustable duration. Right now the 1/2/3 just sets the intensity (amplitude). We need a duration (period) setting so when set shorter it can feel like an actual click. The stock duration feels too thick. The original button that actually moves is what our fingers have grown accustomed to since 2012 (prior models had the concave button which always felt mushy). However without physical movement there's nothing to foul it and therefore it should never get a crunchy feeling like the past.

The new haptic engine definitely feels different. It's a linear motor (like a voice coil) which is going to have much more precision than rotary devices which tend to have poorer decay (fall) response times. However, right now the software is in its infancy and cannot take advantage of its capabilities. I hope Apple eventually adds these features. It will make the touch experience so much better!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm fine with it. When I was in the store, I forgot about the new button for a min and gave it a really good mash and it surprised me when it didn't depress but since then I've adjusted. I have it set to the default of 2. I actually like it better bc it's more quiet.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I like it. I started with the 2 setting but I changed to 3 and I like that better. I even can do the triple home button tap to get the magnifying glass with no problems!

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
It felt so foreign at first but now I really like it a lot. It feels like you are pressing a button. Press on it when the phone is off and then when it is on and and you will understand. Also, all the double taps and all that stuff still work.

torini

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I really like it. Much more responsive than the old home button. Took me a while to get used to it but definitely prefer it over the old one.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
One day in still getting used to it... Today started out better than yesterday. Think should be fine in a couple more days.

Merlady

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Not really a button, it's solid state. You can set the tactile feedback strength- 1,2,or 3. I'm having a problem getting used to it; I keep invoking Siri. Going to take some time to develop new muscle memory.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'd like a stronger setting, even 3 sometimes feels a little weak, i think im used to it now, I appreciate the fact that t's one thing less to worry about ( home button failing )...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2