The IP degree of protection parameters comes from International Standards IEC 60528 specifications. IP stands for Ingress Protection. The first numbers indicates how much solid foreign objects are allowed to come in or not come in. The second number indicates the protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful effects due to the ingress of water.
    "Blah blah blah what does that all mean?!"
    The 6 means no ingress of dust near vulnerable parts PERIOD.

The 7 means it CAN be immersed in 1m (39.4 in, 3 1/4 ft) of water for 30 minutes.
    So if you drop it in the toilet you have some time get some tongs to retrieve the phone. If you fall in to the pool with it, it better be the kiddy pool end. LOL!
    09-12-2016 05:02 PM
    Thanks for the headsup! It's also important to note that Apple makes no warranty or guarantee of waterproofness, and will still not cover any damage caused my water immersion. That being said, the device should be fine when you get stuck in the rain or if dropped in a puddle and quickly removed.
    09-15-2016 10:30 AM
    Thanks for the headsup! It's also important to note that Apple makes no warranty or guarantee of waterproofness, and will still not cover any damage caused my water immersion. That being said, the device should be fine when you get stuck in the rain or if dropped in a puddle and quickly removed.
    It's because it's not waterproof. Just water resistant.
    John Yester likes this.
    09-15-2016 10:40 AM
    It's because it's not waterproof. Just water resistant.
    Nor was I suggesting that it was. Just saying Apple in no way covers any kind of water damage, despite the IP rating.
    09-15-2016 11:13 AM
    It says up to 30 minutes so you can take your time lol! You can go swimming with it but just don't exert high amounts of pressure when landing in water (cannon balls and high altitude dives)
    09-15-2016 11:21 AM
    I wonder how many lawsuits Apple will get in because of this rating? Oy vey!
    09-15-2016 11:25 AM
    i read somewhere that the first number relates to the 'Water Protection' and the second number relates to 'dust' protection. I think i saw a video on AndroidAuthority which mentioned this. Ill try find the link and post it here. (I May Be Wrong).

Edit: (so i was a little off)

IP67 vs IP68: Waterproof IP ratings explained
    09-15-2016 11:38 AM
    i read somewhere that the first number relates to the 'Water Protection' and the second number relates to 'dust' protection. I think i saw a video on AndroidAuthority which mentioned this. Ill try find the link and post it here. (I May Be Wrong).
    That's ok. I have the IEC 60529 spec in front of me.
    09-15-2016 11:45 AM
    Well, that is good to know.
    09-15-2016 11:54 AM
    Nor was I suggesting that it was. Just saying Apple in no way covers any kind of water damage, despite the IP rating.
    This is what I was referring to, note this Apple Support page regarding the IP67 rating and the iPhone 7/7+ https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043 Note this ....

.....Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.
    09-15-2016 11:58 AM