FYI: iPhone 7's IP67 rating, For those who want to know.

cunningbrad

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The IP degree of protection parameters comes from International Standards IEC 60528 specifications. IP stands for Ingress Protection. The first numbers indicates how much solid foreign objects are allowed to come in or not come in. The second number indicates the protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful effects due to the ingress of water.
"Blah blah blah what does that all mean?!"
The 6 means no ingress of dust near vulnerable parts PERIOD.

The 7 means it CAN be immersed in 1m (39.4 in, 3 1/4 ft) of water for 30 minutes.
So if you drop it in the toilet you have some time get some tongs to retrieve the phone. If you fall in to the pool with it, it better be the kiddy pool end. LOL!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the headsup! It's also important to note that Apple makes no warranty or guarantee of waterproofness, and will still not cover any damage caused my water immersion. That being said, the device should be fine when you get stuck in the rain or if dropped in a puddle and quickly removed. :)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the headsup! It's also important to note that Apple makes no warranty or guarantee of waterproofness, and will still not cover any damage caused my water immersion. That being said, the device should be fine when you get stuck in the rain or if dropped in a puddle and quickly removed. :)

It's because it's not waterproof. Just water resistant.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It says up to 30 minutes so you can take your time lol! You can go swimming with it but just don't exert high amounts of pressure when landing in water (cannon balls and high altitude dives)

cunningbrad

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
i read somewhere that the first number relates to the 'Water Protection' and the second number relates to 'dust' protection. I think i saw a video on AndroidAuthority which mentioned this. Ill try find the link and post it here. (I May Be Wrong).

That's ok. I have the IEC 60529 spec in front of me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice