Apple Leather Case or Silicon Case?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yea. I def see that on my black phone too. I just blow some air on it or wipe it and it goes away. But yea, kind of annoying. Much less visible on my rose gold 6s last year.

Yeah that's why I stopped buying SG iPhones in favor of ones with a white face. Jumped out the window with the matte black 7 and now my annoyance is back. LOL

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's why I stopped buying SG iPhones in favor of ones with a white face. Jumped out the window with the matte black 7 and now my annoyance is back. LOL

But the matte black is so sharp looking. I still love it.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thought I'd drop this in...since I've used the black leather Apple case on all my iPhones since the 5, but up until the most recent design update to fit the 7/7+ I have hated the way it takes so much pressure to press the power button. On the new 7/7+ leather cases, Apple has effectively addressed that issue (obviously, I wasn't the only frustrated one) by adding metal side buttons for the power and volume adjustments. They work perfectly, giving a great feel and satisfying "click" when depressed, and take little pressure to work.

Kudos, Apple! :)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thought I'd drop this in...since I've used the black leather Apple case on all my iPhones since the 5, but up until the most recent design update to fit the 7/7+ I have hated the way it takes so much pressure to press the power button. On the new 7/7+ leather cases, Apple has effectively addressed that issue (obviously, I wasn't the only frustrated one) by adding metal side buttons for the power and volume adjustments. They work perfectly, giving a great feel and satisfying "click" when depressed, and take little pressure to work.

Kudos, Apple! :)

I agree, the metal buttons are a great addition. I really like the black case on the matte black phone. My wife is using the Saddle Brown on a Gold iPhone, looks great too. I know they're $$$ compared to Amazon $4 deals, but it's a luxury.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree, the metal buttons are a great addition. I really like the black case on the matte black phone. My wife is using the Saddle Brown on a Gold iPhone, looks great too. I know they're $$$ compared to Amazon $4 deals, but it's a luxury.

It's not just a luxury, it's a better value in my opinion. The Amazon cases don't fit, are not nearly as well built, or hold up as good as the Apple ones. I've dropped my iPhones with the Apple case several times and all it did was put a gash in the leather...but the phone was fine. There are some $50 cases that won't do that! Yeah, the Amazon dealios are $4 or whatever but you're using a flagship smartphone...one that a lot of people paid $600-800 for. If you'd spend that much for a phone, and then cheap out on a case for it...I don't know what to say.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It's not just a luxury, it's a better value in my opinion. The Amazon cases don't fit, are not nearly as well built, or hold up as good as the Apple ones. I've dropped my iPhones with the Apple case several times and all it did was put a gash in the leather...but the phone was fine. There are some $50 cases that won't do that! Yeah, the Amazon dealios are $4 or whatever but you're using a flagship smartphone...one that a lot of people paid $600-800 for. If you'd spend that much for a phone, and then cheap out on a case for it...I don't know what to say.

It's why I have two leather cases from Apple.. one I am using now, and a back up for if/when it gets damaged or too dirty. Many say they find the leather slippery. I don't find that to be true. However if you compare it to a Speck Grip case, than of course the leather feels slippery. It's a good leather case, that fits like a glove. That being said, the bottom right side of the phone does pop out of the case on occasion.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's why I have two leather cases from Apple.. one I am using now, and a back up for if/when it gets damaged or too dirty. Many say they find the leather slippery. I don't find that to be true. However if you compare it to a Speck Grip case, than of course the leather feels slippery. It's a good leather case, that fits like a glove. That being said, the bottom right side of the phone does pop out of the case on occasion.

Mine fits nice and snug. And I have 3 different colors that I have used. No way it would pop out. That case may not but cut right.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine fits nice and snug. And I have 3 different colors that I have used. No way it would pop out. That case may not but cut right.

Same here. Never had any part of the phone pop out of the leather case.

I have, however, been noticing that the left edge of the case -- the few inches just below the volume buttons creaks when I squeeze it. Anyone else see that? It is annoying if you're walking with phone in hand and tighten your hand around the phone. The sound and feel get annoying after awhile.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Same here. Never had any part of the phone pop out of the leather case.

I have, however, been noticing that the left edge of the case -- the few inches just below the volume buttons creaks when I squeeze it. Anyone else see that? It is annoying if you're walking with phone in hand and tighten your hand around the phone. The sound and feel get annoying after awhile.

I had that problem a couple of years ago on a iPhone 6 leather case. I swapped it for a new one.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I am always pushing the bottom right back into the case. You're right, it may be a cut issue. Not sure where I can exchange it, since Apple is 120 miles away. Hmmm...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I am always pushing the bottom right back into the case. You're right, it may be a cut issue. Not sure where I can exchange it, since Apple is 120 miles away. Hmmm...

Order a new one. Then return/ship the old back. Just a thought.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I love my leather case. I've consistently been an advocate of the leather since the 6. But I will say, there are absolutely some $10 cases on Amazon that will protect these phones just as well as my leather. I say that because I own three of them. I've always cycled through them. I get the one leather case, and then a couple of the cheaper cases on Amazon. I've never noticed a difference in protection. I recommend a few of them for those who don't want to spend the Apple premium.

I personally side with the idea that these cases are a luxury. Because there are absolutely cheaper options that protect the phone just as nicely. And theres nothing wrong with that. We like nice things and we are willing to spend the money on them. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods