Apple Leather Case or Silicon Case?

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love the leather case... but I gotta ask, all you who recommend it over silicon, how do you guys clean it? Phones and their cases get DISGUSTING and without having a way to sanitize them with some wipes I just can't use them as my main case. Do you guys just not clean them??

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think it really depends on your use case. For example, I work in corporate america, so the leather looks more professional and since i'm no longer a spring chicken, it fits my age. On the other hand, I run a lot, so the silicone case fits that use case better since getting sweat all over a leather case is nasty. That's why I may get both. To each his own.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love the leather case... but I gotta ask, all you who recommend it over silicon, how do you guys clean it? Phones and their cases get DISGUSTING and without having a way to sanitize them with some wipes I just can't use them as my main case. Do you guys just not clean them??

I use compressed air to blow it out from the inside and then use a Lysol wipe that has been wrung out a bit and give it a quick wipe down. I never had any color loss or staining. But I am careful to not use a soaking wet wipe. Just remove surface germs. My cases have never gotten visibly "dirty" as I also keep the phone in a pouch on top of the case or my pocket w/o anything else in the pocket. So just dust, lint, oils from my hand, etc.

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
For those who have / use the leather (& I guess the silicone as well) how does the bottom of the phone "fare"?

I'm thinking about maybe getting a leather case, but curious about how the bottom of the phone looks after a few months. Usually, I get tech 21 or spigen cases, but would like to try an official case.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I went with ocean blue silicone for my matte black i7. Got it in the mail yesterday. It's sharp.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
For those who have / use the leather (& I guess the silicone as well) how does the bottom of the phone "fare"?

I'm thinking about maybe getting a leather case, but curious about how the bottom of the phone looks after a few months. Usually, I get tech 21 or spigen cases, but would like to try an official case.

The bottom of the phone? OR -- The bottom of the case?

I had the leather case on my 5S and there was no change to the bottom of the phone in or out of the case.

The case itself would depend on how you use it. I normally kept mine in my pocket or pouch. So the case stayed pristine.

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
The bottom of the phone? OR -- The bottom of the case?

I had the leather case on my 5S and there was no change to the bottom of the phone in or out of the case.

The case itself would depend on how you use it. I normally kept mine in my pocket or pouch. So the case stayed pristine.

Thanks, I was wondering about the bottom of the phone. The exposed bottom gave me pause, because I was curious about scratches, etc. (But I usually just keep it in my pocket when not in use, so I'm thinking I will be OK!)

I hear they are easy to take on / take off, so that was one of the other reasons I was interested. More variety!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I was wondering about the bottom of the phone. The exposed bottom gave me pause, because I was curious about scratches, etc. (But I usually just keep it in my pocket when not in use, so I'm thinking I will be OK!)

I hear they are easy to take on / take off, so that was one of the other reasons I was interested. More variety!

Was easy for the 5S, but with the 6 I went with Speck... so I don't know with the rounded edges. I would assume it's still easy. It's really a well built case. The new metallic buttons is a very nice touch. Mine arrived today, but I left it in the office, still in the package. I have not seen it yet.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I've used the Apple Leather cases for my iPhone 6 for the past two years and my iPhone's bottom edge is pristine. As long as you are careful with inserting the lightning cable and don't scratch the phone while putting it in, you should be fine.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm another fan of the leather cases. First discovered them when looking for an iPhone 6 case, then bought a black and a brown plus size case for the 6 plus and 6s plus I got later. Now I'm spoiled and won't use any other cases.
They are surprisingly protective for how low profile they are, too. My 6s plus took a few chest high spills onto concrete and the only damage was to the case.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I use the Apple leather case (my favorite) on my 6s however also like the Evutec Karbon - very slim and made from Karbon materials and covers bottom of phone nicely .

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
31e0e40fed7cb782e98e734ee90d733e.jpg
0286c69d78f5a04655bf4707f8afa83a.jpg

Ocean blue silicone.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have tried both, I prefer Silicone over Leather for these reasons:
1. As someone posted, the Leather gets dinged with little scratches very easily. In a month or two it looked almost ratty and I am VERY careful with my phone. The Silicone looks perfect.
2. The leather is slick to the feel, the Silicone has a tension that is the opposite of slick (hard to explain). In the winter I keep my phone in my shirt pocket and I was worried it would easily slide out - which it could. The silicone tension keeps it in the shirt pocket.
3. The new black Silicone looks AMAZING on the black matte iPhone 7! Visualize this - a black oreo cookie with a thin layer of dark chocolate (not milk chocolate - the picture has to be accurate :) ) on it.
4. Silicone $10 cheaper. NOt a big del for an expensive phone protector, but just fyi.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I prefer the feel of the leather. Tried silicone once and hated it. Yes it is grippy but it also feels yucky like the sticky floors at the movie theater! And if you put it a pocket good luck getting it out without standing up!

With water I'd be more concerned about the fuzzy liner that protects your phone's finish. That needs time to dry out and if left wet you could get some funky stuff growing in there. And any time you start dealing with microbes, you get acids and other nasties that can degrade the finish of your phone. IP does not cover chemical attack. ;)

TPU cases like Spigen and Diztronic (my preference) are best if used around water. Just remember if you use your phone at the beach and it gets sand on it, remove the case immediately and blow or use a dust can to remove the grains. NEVER use your hand or any kind of cloth. Unless you like scratches. They may not be deep but they will show any time your phone is under a bright light or in the sun.

And those kind so scratches, however so subtle, are like a sliver of metal or glass in your foot you cannot see. But every time you take a step you are painfully reminded they are there. At least a splinter can be pulled out. ;)

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I love the grip of the silicone but it catches lint and that drives me bonkers. Leather looks more refined. I went with leather for now but I may change my mind. Fickle.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods