Is Apple care worth buying .

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The issue here is that it doesn't stop at $129. You continue paying into it. Unless this has changed recently, this is the reason I decided against it. After 24 months you've paid an extra $70 or so.

Interesting! I've never considered buying AppleCare through Best Buy and now it doesn't look like I will in the future either.

I thought the same, but if you change phone yearly, it's only 95.88 unless for some reason you are locked in longer. I think I'd still rather just pay for it outright but realize that's not always something that people can do.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought the same, but if you change phone yearly, it's only 95.88 unless for some reason you are locked in longer. I think I'd still rather just pay for it outright but realize that's not always something that people can do.

At that rate I'd opt for the iPhone Upgrade Program. After a year the AppleCare+ portion of the monthly payments have only amounted to $50.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

At that rate I'd opt for the iPhone Upgrade Program. After a year the AppleCare+ portion of the monthly payments have only amounted to $50.
Even better :) Then trade the device in for the next one!

Best Buy isn't in it to save you money on Apple Care!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Most of us here try to be helpful. Try it sometime! You might surprise yourself.

My response points out that if you buy Apple Care, you are subsidising a certain type of person. If you're not that type of person, it's probably better to save your money. I think that's very helpful. Don't you?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My response points out that if you buy Apple Care, you are subsidising a certain type of person. If you're not that type of person, it's probably better to save your money. I think that's very helpful. Don't you?

I'd imagine everyone is capable of an accident. Like I've said, I've NEVER broken a phone. Yet I purchase AppleCare+ on every device I purchase from Apple. Better safe than sorry.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd imagine everyone is capable of an accident. Like I've said, I've NEVER broken a phone. Yet I purchase AppleCare+ on every device I purchase from Apple. Better safe than sorry.

Sometimes peace of mind is worth the price. In six years I had never broken an iPhone but the unthinkable happened a month ago and I was certainly glad I had AppleCare.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Same here. It's peace of mind...

Twice we have had to use it but that's it. Three of you count my G3 iBook back in the early 2000s that needed a new logic board after the original warranty was up. But the other two were accidental.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I did the diagnostic test over chat yesterday for my iPhone 7, they emailed the payment and i have been thinking on it, this morning i sat it on some shorts on a chair while by the pool and fogot it was there and it hit the concrete, i have a Apple leather case and glass protector and only the case is torn in a few spots, got it for free anyway. Going to pay now. I have never wrecked a phone yet but as i got this on a 2 year plan and its a business phone not taking the risk.
Also i live 5 hours drive from a Apple store so having one sent overnight is also good if you have a problem.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

For you and me, it would be better to put the money you spend on Apple Care in a savings account. That's my point. I've never really understood the "peace of mind" argument - would you really be worrying about the cost of repairing your phone all the time if you didn't have Apple Care?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
For you and me, it would be better to put the money you spend on Apple Care in a savings account. That's my point. I've never really understood the "peace of mind" argument - would you really be worrying about the cost of repairing your phone all the time if you didn't have Apple Care?

If I didn't have AppleCare+, I probably wouldn't be worrying about the cost of repairing my phone...until I break my phone and need to repair it. Then that cost becomes important. Without AppleCare+ it costs $350 to fix my phone if it's beyond the screen. With AppleCare+ that cost is only $99. Include the $129 I spent for AppleCare+ and my total expense is $229. That's $120 cost savings by getting AppleCare.

Seems worth it to me. If nothing happens...then I've wasted $129. But that's worth it to me to be protected against those "What-ifs"...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Setting aside the money you would've spent on AppleCare will buy you an iPhone in 12 something years. That's simple math. New iPhone is $799, Apple care is $129
799/129= 6.19. AppleCare is for 2 years so you will have to multiple the 6.19 with 2. That is 12.38 years.

Now tell me again how setting that money aside is gonna do you any good if your iPhone has to be replaced because of an accident?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I guess it depends on needs. I've had iPhones since the 4S, back in 2011 and never broken any. I had to have one replaced under warranty for display issues.

Therefore, I never felt the need to get AppleCare. However I might regret it, if needed (I always protect my phones, though).

'Better safe than sorry' also applies (like a life insurance. I never needed it but just in case)!!

Alain_A

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Setting aside the money you would've spent on AppleCare will buy you an iPhone in 12 something years. That's simple math. New iPhone is $799, Apple care is $129
799/129= 6.19. AppleCare is for 2 years so you will have to multiple the 6.19 with 2. That is 12.38 years.

Now tell me again how setting that money aside is gonna do you any good if your iPhone has to be replaced because of an accident?

Why is it the when quoted the pricing changes?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods