Is Apple care worth buying .

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps they changed the coverage, I know they USED to cover it!

Don't think so.

Originally it was just warranty then they added the "Plus" which covered damage. To my knowledge / memory it never covered loss/theft. It's always required you to bring it in.

If you can find something showing otherwise I would love to be corrected! That was always a benefit to the warranty programs.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, always. I buy it the same time I buy my phone and since I usually sell my other phone, the last few have gone to my parents for whatever Gazelle would have paid me, I know they're covered for a year more. It helps with drops, and if your phone loses its MIND/the battery is a mess and you need help that requires a visit to the store. I've had it happen in the 2nd year before (the first year I skipped was the 5, since I started with iPhones)--Ive burned thru over 30 iPhones in a year and a half when my 4S kept trying to find my old account after my phone got stolen, and the jerk that stole it activated it. ATT and Apple could not make it stop, so they just.kept.replacing.the.phone. We kept that line going because we were doing research on how and why it kept doing that, it was just so frustrating. And when they could not figure out why it was frying the radio, or rather they wouldn't tell me why, then we changed my number, put the old one on a go phone (I didn't have to pay for that line, since it was an experiment, they just credited me.) Eventually I upgraded this line to a 5S, and ported the old line to a GoogleVoice account. It was worth it then, and it's been worth it every time. I also pay for insurance on my phone lines (all three active PHONE lines) since we've had stolen phones and my husband's phone has been washed at least once.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't think so.

Originally it was just warranty then they added the "Plus" which covered damage. To my knowledge / memory it never covered loss/theft. It's always required you to bring it in.

If you can find something showing otherwise I would love to be corrected! That was always a benefit to the warranty programs.
I don't believe they ever covered loss/theft.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Not personally. My  silicone case and tempered glass protector cost me half that and perfectly do the job.

But for some (careless) persons, it's definitely worth it.
I have a mobile phone shop and trust me, I've seen my share of shattered screens.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I would say if you're the type who easily breaks phones, go with AppleCare. I personally don't have it and see no reason to, but my boyfriend recently got an iPhone SE and 2 years of AppleCare, which I think is worth it for him. He had two iPhone 5s models that died within a year of each other (first died in August last year after getting the blue screen of death multiple times, the other suffered a screen problem).

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I think it is a good idea for a brand new phone After all by the time you've bought a case,and lost or stolen insurance for a year, the thick end of a grand has just flown out of the window, why wouldn't you insure the bit that works against dropping and drowning ?? I will add here that I have never done either, but I've always had second hand devices (cheapskate !!) and the minute I have to buy a new one I'll have applecare

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it is a good idea for a brand new phone After all by the time you've bought a case,and lost or stolen insurance for a year, the thick end of a grand has just flown out of the window, why wouldn't you insure the bit that works against dropping and drowning ?? I will add here that I have never done either, but I've always had second hand devices (cheapskate !!) and the minute I have to buy a new one I'll have applecare

Just a few reasons why some may not..

#1. If you have been using the iPhone for years and never had a damage or loss. The $125 x 6 years... I already saved enough NOT having Apple Care + to buy a new phone (basically) if catastrophic damage. Minor damage a $300 fix.. I saved money.
#2. Counting up I have owned 11 iPhones (myself / wife / father-in-law) so that's $1375 in insurance that would have not been used (in our case).. that we were able to spend on other things.
#3. It does not cover against loss or theft, and that's my biggest concern.
#4. Water Damage or Accident, is still $99 to replace/repair (add that to #1) and you can just buy a new phone
#5. Must do all repairs at an Apple Store or mail it in, my closest Apple store is 140 miles (each way)
#6. Apple care is 2-years, and I will be trading it in, next year.. (not sure if they transfer to the next phone, but guessing maybe not)

Square Trade is a better option for me, since I live further away and it's $36 cheaper and I can use any authorized repair location (If I want to buy Sq. Trade)

All that being said.. Apple Care + is a great option, I have nothing bad to say about it and I highly recommend it to everyone who wants it. Just was answering your question "why wouldn't you insure it" and I wanted to give a few reasons. Taking all this aside, yes, I would highly recommend Apple Care +

sx4dude2013

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Just a few reasons why some may not..

#1. If you have been using the iPhone for years and never had a damage or loss. The $125 x 6 years... I already saved enough NOT having Apple Care + to buy a new phone (basically) if catastrophic damage. Minor damage a $300 fix.. I saved money.
#2. Counting up I have owned 11 iPhones (myself / wife / father-in-law) so that's $1375 in insurance that would have not been used (in our case).. that we were able to spend on other things.
#3. It does not cover against loss or theft, and that's my biggest concern.
#4. Water Damage or Accident, is still $99 to replace/repair (add that to #1) and you can just buy a new phone
#5. Must do all repairs at an Apple Store or mail it in, my closest Apple store is 140 miles (each way)
#6. Apple care is 2-years, and I will be trading it in, next year.. (not sure if they transfer to the next phone, but guessing maybe not)

Square Trade is a better option for me, since I live further away and it's $36 cheaper and I can use any authorized repair location (If I want to buy Sq. Trade)

All that being said.. Apple Care + is a great option, I have nothing bad to say about it and I highly recommend it to everyone who wants it. Just was answering your question "why wouldn't you insure it" and I wanted to give a few reasons. Taking all this aside, yes, I would highly recommend Apple Care +

This sums it up right here! Great post!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just replaced this phone last night for $79.

She's had it since December. The bend at the volume buttons was from putting it in her back pocket all the time. Screen finally cracked when she decided to go caseless with it, and apparently was plugged in charging when someone tripped over the cord and knocked it to a hard floor. She kept using it, but glass started coming out of it, and with 1 day left in Apple Care we went ahead and got it fixed.

Without Apple Care it would have been $299 to replace due to the bend. He couldn't just replace the glass.

IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_0996.jpg

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Just replaced this phone last night for $79.

She's had it since December. The bend at the volume buttons was from putting it in her back pocket all the time. Screen finally cracked when she decided to go caseless with it, and apparently was plugged in charging when someone tripped over the cord and knocked it to a hard floor. She kept using it, but glass started coming out of it, and with 1 day left in Apple Care we went ahead and got it fixed.

Without Apple Care it would have been $299 to replace due to the bend. He couldn't just replace the glass.

View attachment 111725
View attachment 111726
Yeah, you only appreciate it when something like that happens ;)

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Extends but also adds coverage for accidental damage (no loss or theft)

Thats true, but there are also service fees of 79.00 you have to pay if the device needs to be replaced and you have only two incidences, still a good deal when you consider the cost of a new device. I always get the Apple care + option on any new iPhone I purchase and always recommend it to folks who are hard on their devices.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have purchased AppleCare+ on a few occasions but my last few iPhones I have opted not to. My iPhone 6s Plus is still in perfect condition and it has now been handed down to my Mom. I always have a case and a glass screen protector on my phone and I am always extremely careful with how I treat my phone. That being said, with the addition of the water resistance on the iPhone 7, I may go ahead and purchase AppleCare+ next weekend when I stop at the mall.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
If you are planning to not use a case then Apple Care plus is a must. But if you are using a case then don't think it's needed but some people just get it for the peace of mind. This year it's more worth it because screen replacement cost is only $29 which is the most common damage that can happen to a phone.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think it's definitely worth buying and especially if you're one to break your phone

No. It's only worth buying if you're someone who breaks their phone. As someone who has never broken a phone, I do not buy it and I have saved a lot of money - in fact enough to buy a new iPhone.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I will be using it today, in fact. Last night my phone died. My brand new, 4 day old phone. Was using an app at around 4% battery. Died. Put it on the charger. Had the little battery icon on the screen. Usually, it pops back on in about 5-10 minutes if it was dead. Well, never did. I was like "hm." So I let it charge overnight. Woke up, got it from the charger, and thankfully don't rely on that as my main alarm because again, nothing. I wondered if maybe my cable got disconnected or something...nope. So I got in to work, put it on my work charger. Nothing. Still nothing. Been 20 minutes. Nothing. No idea wtf is going on. I have no way to do DFU til I get home, and really no time to do that this week. But I guess Ill be rearranging my entire week to go to Apple after work.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I will be using it today, in fact. Last night my phone died. My brand new, 4 day old phone. Was using an app at around 4% battery. Died. Put it on the charger. Had the little battery icon on the screen. Usually, it pops back on in about 5-10 minutes if it was dead. Well, never did. I was like "hm." So I let it charge overnight. Woke up, got it from the charger, and thankfully don't rely on that as my main alarm because again, nothing. I wondered if maybe my cable got disconnected or something...nope. So I got in to work, put it on my work charger. Nothing. Still nothing. Been 20 minutes. Nothing. No idea wtf is going on. I have no way to do DFU til I get home, and really no time to do that this week. But I guess Ill be rearranging my entire week to go to Apple after work.

But this will not be a replacement under Apple Care. If your phone dies after 4 days it will be replaced under normal consumer law.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro