Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts

Default Re: Is Apple care worth buying .

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Just a few reasons why some may not..

#1. If you have been using the iPhone for years and never had a damage or loss. The $125 x 6 years... I already saved enough NOT having Apple Care + to buy a new phone (basically) if catastrophic damage. Minor damage a $300 fix.. I saved money.
    #2. Counting up I have owned 11 iPhones (myself / wife / father-in-law) so that's $1375 in insurance that would have not been used (in our case).. that we were able to spend on other things.
    #3. It does not cover against loss or theft, and that's my biggest concern.
    #4. Water Damage or Accident, is still $99 to replace/repair (add that to #1) and you can just buy a new phone
    #5. Must do all repairs at an Apple Store or mail it in, my closest Apple store is 140 miles (each way)
    #6. Apple care is 2-years, and I will be trading it in, next year.. (not sure if they transfer to the next phone, but guessing maybe not)

Square Trade is a better option for me, since I live further away and it's $36 cheaper and I can use any authorized repair location (If I want to buy Sq. Trade)

All that being said.. Apple Care + is a great option, I have nothing bad to say about it and I highly recommend it to everyone who wants it. Just was answering your question "why wouldn't you insure it" and I wanted to give a few reasons. Taking all this aside, yes, I would highly recommend Apple Care +
    This sums it up right here! Great post!
    iMore Nanite

I think it's definitely worth buying and especially if you're one to break your phone

Just replaced this phone last night for $79.

She's had it since December. The bend at the volume buttons was from putting it in her back pocket all the time. Screen finally cracked when she decided to go caseless with it, and apparently was plugged in charging when someone tripped over the cord and knocked it to a hard floor. She kept using it, but glass started coming out of it, and with 1 day left in Apple Care we went ahead and got it fixed.

Without Apple Care it would have been $299 to replace due to the bend. He couldn't just replace the glass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	111725

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	111726
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,486 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    Just replaced this phone last night for $79.

She's had it since December. The bend at the volume buttons was from putting it in her back pocket all the time. Screen finally cracked when she decided to go caseless with it, and apparently was plugged in charging when someone tripped over the cord and knocked it to a hard floor. She kept using it, but glass started coming out of it, and with 1 day left in Apple Care we went ahead and got it fixed.

Without Apple Care it would have been $299 to replace due to the bend. He couldn't just replace the glass.

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	111725

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	111726
    Yeah, you only appreciate it when something like that happens
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,951 Global Posts

Extends but also adds coverage for accidental damage (no loss or theft)
    Thats true, but there are also service fees of 79.00 you have to pay if the device needs to be replaced and you have only two incidences, still a good deal when you consider the cost of a new device. I always get the Apple care + option on any new iPhone I purchase and always recommend it to folks who are hard on their devices.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts

I have purchased AppleCare+ on a few occasions but my last few iPhones I have opted not to. My iPhone 6s Plus is still in perfect condition and it has now been handed down to my Mom. I always have a case and a glass screen protector on my phone and I am always extremely careful with how I treat my phone. That being said, with the addition of the water resistance on the iPhone 7, I may go ahead and purchase AppleCare+ next weekend when I stop at the mall.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts

Default Is Apple care worth buying .

If you are planning to not use a case then Apple Care plus is a must. But if you are using a case then don't think it's needed but some people just get it for the peace of mind. This year it's more worth it because screen replacement cost is only $29 which is the most common damage that can happen to a phone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marhorr View Post
    I think it's definitely worth buying and especially if you're one to break your phone
    No. It's only worth buying if you're someone who breaks their phone. As someone who has never broken a phone, I do not buy it and I have saved a lot of money - in fact enough to buy a new iPhone.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,712 Global Posts

I will be using it today, in fact. Last night my phone died. My brand new, 4 day old phone. Was using an app at around 4% battery. Died. Put it on the charger. Had the little battery icon on the screen. Usually, it pops back on in about 5-10 minutes if it was dead. Well, never did. I was like "hm." So I let it charge overnight. Woke up, got it from the charger, and thankfully don't rely on that as my main alarm because again, nothing. I wondered if maybe my cable got disconnected or something...nope. So I got in to work, put it on my work charger. Nothing. Still nothing. Been 20 minutes. Nothing. No idea wtf is going on. I have no way to do DFU til I get home, and really no time to do that this week. But I guess Ill be rearranging my entire week to go to Apple after work.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    I will be using it today, in fact. Last night my phone died. My brand new, 4 day old phone. Was using an app at around 4% battery. Died. Put it on the charger. Had the little battery icon on the screen. Usually, it pops back on in about 5-10 minutes if it was dead. Well, never did. I was like "hm." So I let it charge overnight. Woke up, got it from the charger, and thankfully don't rely on that as my main alarm because again, nothing. I wondered if maybe my cable got disconnected or something...nope. So I got in to work, put it on my work charger. Nothing. Still nothing. Been 20 minutes. Nothing. No idea wtf is going on. I have no way to do DFU til I get home, and really no time to do that this week. But I guess Ill be rearranging my entire week to go to Apple after work.
    But this will not be a replacement under Apple Care. If your phone dies after 4 days it will be replaced under normal consumer law.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,712 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anony_mouse View Post
    But this will not be a replacement under Apple Care. If your phone dies after 4 days it will be replaced under normal consumer law.
    True. But the 4S I had a couple years ago: That was AppleCare--Almost 40 times. And that's not a joke.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Look at SquareTrade as well. It's a bit cheaper and allows you to take it to an Apple Store and they will reimburse you.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts

True. But the 4S I had a couple years ago: That was AppleCare--Almost 40 times. And that's not a joke.
    If a product was so bad that it had to be replaced 40 times I would absolutely expect the supplier to do everything in their power to compensate you under normal consumer law.

In fact:
    1. I would expect a company to do more than simply keep replacing the phone, but to actually try to understand and fix the problem. This should not take 40 replacements.
    2. I would have given up on the phone around the 3rd replacement; asked for a full refund (which I would be entitled to as the product was clearly not fit for purpose); and bought something else.

I don't like that Apple seem to have programmed people to expect to have to pay extra to exercise their normal rights under consumer law.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

Like most everyone has already said, apple care is a for sure purchase.
    Have four 7+ running around daily in my family, like the peace of mind when they yell DAD... my phone.....
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,712 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anony_mouse View Post
    If a product was so bad that it had to be replaced 40 times I would absolutely expect the supplier to do everything in their power to compensate you under normal consumer law.

In fact:
    1. I would expect a company to do more than simply keep replacing the phone, but to actually try to understand and fix the problem. This should not take 40 replacements.
    2. I would have given up on the phone around the 3rd replacement; asked for a full refund (which I would be entitled to as the product was clearly not fit for purpose); and bought something else.

I don't like that Apple seem to have programmed people to expect to have to pay extra to exercise their normal rights under consumer law.
    You'd need to read my prior posts to understand what happened for why it was around 40 phones. I don't really have time to explain that for the 1000th time. I think it's even previously in this thread.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts

You'd need to read my prior posts to understand what happened for why it was around 40 phones. I don't really have time to explain that for the 1000th time. I think it's even previously in this thread.
    I have read your post and I really don't understand why you should have to buy insurance to help Apple and AT&T solve what looks like a serious issue with their security systems.
    I'm not so familiar with consumer law in the US but with or without Apple Care, I'd be looking for serious compensation if my phone needed to be replaced 40 times, with all the convenience that would cause.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,977 Global Posts

I don't care what the issue was however I would not exchange anything 40 times. Even if it was work related. I would just move on to something else. After a while your just wasting your time.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Also adds (extends) service/ tech support. More easily forgotten, yet no less important. Have never damaged a phone, but have had some really weird bugs that required extensive tech. With AppleCare+, no questions asked.

Also helps if you have trouble while traveling- they can send replacement quickly wherever you are.
    iMore Newbie

I have apple care purchased from Best Buy, it's only $7.99/month and I'm only keeping it for 12 months then canceling since I upgrade every year.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    Also adds (extends) service/ tech support. More easily forgotten, yet no less important. Have never damaged a phone, but have had some really weird bugs that required extensive tech. With AppleCare+, no questions asked.

Also helps if you have trouble while traveling- they can send replacement quickly wherever you are.
    I'm amazed at how many problems Apple users seem to have. In 18 years of phone and smart phone ownership, I've never experienced such difficulties!
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    969 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Hassle for me.. is there is no Apple store even close. To get to an Apple store, it's basically an overnight trip and a hotel. :-(
    Try square trade.
    iMore Intermediate

I used to get it on my phones, but at the current price it doesn't make mathematical sense (to me). After plan purchase if I totally destroy my phone it will cost me $230 to replace it. With Apples generous OOW replacement it's about $320. Based on my history of not buying AppleCare for my last iPhone, I am already $130 ahead.
    So, if I bought AppleCare plus last year and didn't need it, but had to completely replace my iPhone this year, I will actually spend less money over the last 2 years ($129+$129+99 vs. $319). That's assuming I only break a phone every 2 years. In reality I have not broken a phone since the iPhone 4 was released. Also, if just one screen repair per year it's $160 total with AppleCare plus vs. $130 without.
    Since I don't break phones very often it makes more sense for me to pay out of pocket if I need to instead of having "insurance".
    AppleCare plus is available because Apple makes money on it, not to do us favors. Also, most of these insurance/warranty plans make money for companies because most people never need to use it.
    Last edited by Nolander07; 09-26-2016 at 03:11 PM.
    iMore Pro

I always buy AppleCare for any of my Apple devices

Quote Originally Posted by xlovepink88x View Post
    I have apple care purchased from Best Buy, it's only $7.99/month and I'm only keeping it for 12 months then canceling since I upgrade every year.
    Is that Apple Care though? Unless bundled with the iPhone upgrade program, it's a flat fee (not monthly)

Is that Apple Care though? Unless bundled with the iPhone upgrade program, it's a flat fee (not monthly)
    Best Buy does actually offer AppleCare in a monthly installment plan.
    libra89 and xlovepink88x like this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast