Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    I've gotten to spend a brief amount of time with the new iPhone 7. So, if you have any questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer!
    Annie_i6s and DarkKnight08 like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    In regard to the new home button, does it feel weird pressing it as opposed to the current home button the the 6S? Also, how sensitive is it in regard to fingerprint recognition?
    TwitchyPuppy and Tartarus like this.
  3. #3  
    jcstek's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    I've gotten to spend a brief amount of time with the new iPhone 7. So, if you have any questions, fire away and I'll do my best to answer!
    Scratches and fingerprints on the Jet Black???? And yes the home button as well. What is it like?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    In regard to the new home button, does it feel weird pressing it as opposed to the current home button the the 6S? Also, how sensitive is it in regard to fingerprint recognition?
    It feels just like 3D Touch. You can adjust the pressure in the same way too. Fingerprints are the same as iPhone 6s.
    Just_Me_D and Tartarus like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcstek View Post
    Scratches and fingerprints on the Jet Black???? And yes the home button as well. What is it like?
    Yup to both. It's like the black iPhone 3G/S.

    Home button is like 3D Touch. Takes a few minutes to get used to then it's great.
  6. #6  
    jcstek's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    Yup to both. It's like the black iPhone 3G/S.

    Home button is like 3D Touch. Takes a few minutes to get used to then it's great.
    Would you say the fingerprints and scratches are bad enough to avoid getting it? I don't usually use cases on my devices.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcstek View Post
    Would you say the fingerprints and scratches are bad enough to avoid getting it? I don't usually use cases on my devices.
    No. I ordered my 7 Plus in jet black. It's just something to be aware of.
    jcstek and MasterDarque like this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    With the extra ram did the OS seem snappier and smooth or about the same all around on the plus version?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    What were you most impressed with? Is the camera on the plus worth the larger phone?
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    With the extra ram did the OS seem snappier and smooth or about the same all around on the plus version?
    Apple doesn't talk about RAM because for iOS, it's not the same as a traditional computer. RAM will affect how many apps or web tabs it can keep in memory, and probably how much it can buffer in a game, but the code and processor probably affect interface rendering the most.

    In this case, yeah, A10 is a beast, iOS is still natively coded, so zoom zoom
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    What were you most impressed with? Is the camera on the plus worth the larger phone?
    Very. The camera has a lot of potential. Apple is doing a couple of cool things with it now, but devs have full access so I really want to see what Camera+, Obscura, and more do.
    eyecrispy likes this.
  12. #12  
    T48
    T48 is offline
    T48's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Could you or anyone can check the signal strength(dBm) for calls in comparison to the 6s?
    Just curious if moving the antenna lines has or had any effect. Thanks.
  13. #13  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by T48 View Post
    Could you or anyone can check the signal strength(dBm) for calls in comparison to the 6s?
    Just curious if moving the antenna lines has or had any effect. Thanks.
    I may be wrong, but I assume Rene does not have the 7 yet.. only tried it out at the Apple event on the 7th and is giving info based on the usage there.
  14. #14  
    T48
    T48 is offline
    T48's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I may be wrong, but I assume Rene does not have the 7 yet.. only tried it out at the Apple event on the 7th and is giving info based on the usage there.
    Ah. Thought they had a demo unit or something. Thanks.
  15. #15  
    TLD1's Avatar

    Posts
    738 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,897 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Hey, Rene...how much difference in real use (not games or graphics) does the new chip make in regards to snappiness & OA performance?
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by TLD1 View Post
    Hey, Rene...how much difference in real use (not games or graphics) does the new chip make in regards to snappiness & OA performance?
    Right now, since few if any apps are taking advantage of the new chip, it's like comparing a Veyron to a Lambo. They're both knock you back when they blow by.

    The biggest gain right now is power efficiency, thank to the fusion design. That translates into a couple extra hours of battery life, on average, on the iPhone 7.
    TLD1 likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Is the Rose Gold one as pretty as the 6s?
  18. #18  
    timja's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Hello Rene.

    I have been procrastinating about upgrading to the 6s (from a 4s!) for some time but have been unable to do so.

    I have had a good look at the 6s although obviously I've not held/used the 7. Now, as I plan to upgrade I'm thinking about whether to go for the 6s or the 7.

    Can you tell me the primary reasons I should opt for the iPhone 7 as opposed to the 6s please?
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    Is the Rose Gold one as pretty as the 6s?
    Prettier because less antenna lines.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by timja View Post
    Hello Rene.

    I have been procrastinating about upgrading to the 6s (from a 4s!) for some time but have been unable to do so.

    I have had a good look at the 6s although obviously I've not held/used the 7. Now, as I plan to upgrade I'm thinking about whether to go for the 6s or the 7.

    Can you tell me the primary reasons I should opt for the iPhone 7 as opposed to the 6s please?
    Better camera, water resistant, more advanced proc - you know all this
    Annie_i6s likes this.
  21. #21  
    timja's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    Better camera, water resistant, more advanced proc - you know all this
    Indeed I do, having watched the event live 7th and seen your coverage - I'm just trying to justify it to myself, with your help!
  22. #22  
    flybub's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Did you listen to any music/audio with the included earpods through the lightning port? Is there really a difference in audio quality between the 3.5 jack and the lightning?

    Is the glass on the screen the same on the 6s or is it a stronger more durable material?

    Posted via the iMore App for Android
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Quote Originally Posted by flybub View Post
    Did you listen to any music/audio with the included earpods through the lightning port? Is there really a difference in audio quality between the 3.5 jack and the lightning?

    Is the glass on the screen the same on the 6s or is it a stronger more durable material?

    Posted via the iMore App for Android
    No, just the AirPods so far.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    How were the AirPods? I am seriously considering getting a pair. I even took a pair of EarPods and cut the cables off to see if I would like the way they felt
  25. #25  
    mtcowdog's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've used iPhone 7: AMA!

    Speaker quality and volume? Matters to me.

    Second, is there anything about Siri that is an improvement with the iP7? I suspect Siri doesn't matter with hardware. But still I hope for any improvement. She -- thinking in concept -- is a big part of the future with smartphones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Wallpaper iPhone 7
    By pttptppt in forum Wallpapers & Ringtones
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2016, 03:04 AM
  2. WTS: Apple iPhone Cases - Silicone & Leather
    By phreddyl in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-23-2016, 07:28 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-14-2016, 06:16 PM
  4. Is it really worth it to buy the iPhone 7 over the 6S?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2016, 11:55 PM
  5. New Wallpaper iPhone 7
    By pttptppt in forum iPhone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2016, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions