Question regarding iMore article on easiest ways to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone 7

ekneeiphone

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Good morning colleagues:
I read the iMore article regarding the easiest ways to transfer data from an old iPhone to the new iPhone 7.

The article indicates that whether you are using iTunes encrypted backup or Icloud, after backing up the old phone, you should remove the OLD SIM card. Before restoring the backup, to the new iPhone 7 the article instructs to place "YOUR SIM card" into the new iPhone 7.

I am a little confused. Is it saying you take the SIM card from the OLD iPhone model and put it in the new iPhone 7. I have never done that or is it merely saying place the sim card for the NEW iPhone 7 into the iPhone 7. If i
IF You are supposed to place the SIM from the OLD. iPhone into new iPhone7, what is the reason for that?

Here is a link to the article for your convenience:
How to transfer data from your old iPhone to your new iPhone 7 | iMore

Thank you for your help.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If you have just the one SIM Card you used in your old iPhone, just take it out after the backup is finished, place it in the new iPhone before you turn it on, connect it to iTunes and follow the instructions from the article

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Yup! Unless there's a reason to get a new SIM card, you'll need to flip your existing SIM from the old to new phone (or get the store to do it for you.)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yup! Unless there's a reason to get a new SIM card, you'll need to flip your existing SIM from the old to new phone (or get the store to do it for you.)

What if ... the phone I ordered is tied to my wife's # and she is taking my iPhone 6. Should I use the new sim card they sent us, or use the Sim Card from her 5S when setting up my old iPhone 6 for her? For me, I will just use the sim from the 6 for the new 7. Opinion? New sim or 5s sim? Thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If there is a new SIM card, cut the old SIM card and throw it away. New is always better.
Just don't forget to activate the SIM card thru your carrier first.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If there is a new SIM card, cut the old SIM card and throw it away. New is always better.
Just don't forget to activate the SIM card thru your carrier first.

Thanks, we always just order the "new" phones based on what our plan allows for upgrades. I picked her number, since her SIM card is years old.. even though we have 3-phones off contract. I appreciate your reply, it's exactly what I hoped to hear.

ekneeiphone

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. So I would use the sim from my 6s plus for the 7plus. Never did it in the past.

As a follow up should I download and install iOS 10 to the old 6s plus before making the final backup on that old device in prep for restoring the backup on the new iPhone 7 plus?

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. So I would use the sim from my 6s plus for the 7plus. Never did it in the past.

As a follow up should I download and install iOS 10 to the old 6s plus before making the final backup on that old device in prep for restoring the backup on the new iPhone 7 plus?

You can just use the new SIM that comes with the phone. There is no need to update your old 6S to iOS 10 unless you want to use it before your new phone arrives. The new phone will come with iOS 10 installed / clean. Just make sure you have a good backup. Make two.. if you have space. I always make sure I have an iCloud backup and a computer backup (x2)

basboyblair

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Just heard the iPhone 7 has a Nano Sim Card... which is different from the iPhone 6s Micro Sim Cards... so what exactly am I to do?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Just heard the iPhone 7 has a Nano Sim Card... which is different from the iPhone 6s Micro Sim Cards... so what exactly am I to do?

Nothing. Just take your SIM card out of your 6s and put it in the 7.

iPhones have come with Nano SIM cards since the iPhone 5.
The iPhone 4s was the last iPhone to have the micro SIM card.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods