Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78
Like Tree91Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    TLD1's Avatar

    Posts
    738 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts

    Default From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    This isn't a troll thread, and certainly not a thread slamming the iPhone 7 or those who are choosing to upgrade. But, as I am facing a peculiar quandary this time as far as whether to upgrade from my "perfectly good" 6s to the 7 or not...I am very curious to know why some members are making the jump...and why some are not!

    Please feel free to chime in!
    tech_fan likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    My current iPhone 6S Plus is the best iPhone "I've" ever used, and to be quite honest, there is no need whatsoever for me to get an iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 6S Plus is fast, still looks new and runs all of my installed apps without a hitch. Having said that, I will get the iPhone 7 Plus for ONE REASON ONLY. I simply want one. Period...��
  3. #3  
    jkmasi's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    The only reason I would upgrade, is that I like to have the best/fastest phone period. I have a lovely 6S that is working just fine, with all sorts of cases, so it doesn't make sense from a practical/financial viewpoint, but I would like a better camera. I have even been tempted to pick up a Galaxy S7 just for the better camera. Also, slightly better battery life would be awesome. Mine isn't that great. I had a 6S+, which was better in the camera and battery life department, but I just couldn't stand the size. I think I should try to wait for the 7S.... but not sure if I can do it. Highly tempted by the shiny jet black!!
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
  4. #4  
    diggity's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    For me, there doesn't appear to be enough difference between the 6s and 7. Yes, I know about the new and improved camera and faster processor. But they say that pretty much every year, and I usually don't see that much of a difference with speed and photos between old and new models when I upgrade every year. I guess it's safe to say that I have finally realized it's not necessary for me to upgrade every year. I need to emphasize the 'for me' part... I am definitely not speaking for anybody but myself.
    TwitchyPuppy, ladyc0524 and H_D like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    TLD1's Avatar

    Posts
    738 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    My current iPhone 6S Plus is the best iPhone "I've" ever used, and to be quite honest, there is no need whatsoever for me to get an iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 6S Plus is fast, still looks new and runs all of my installed apps without a hitch. Having said that, I will get the iPhone 7 Plus for ONE REASON ONLY. I simply want one. Period...��
    Now, how can you fault logic like that?
  6. #6  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,006 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TLD1 View Post
    This isn't a troll thread, and certainly not a thread slamming the iPhone 7 or those who are choosing to upgrade. But, as I am facing a peculiar quandary this time as far as whether to upgrade from my "perfectly good" 6s to the 7 or not...I am very curious to know why some members are making the jump...and why some are not!

    Please feel free to chime in!
    I did it for battery, better camera, and the water resistance is a nice touch. Mainly it is for the larger battery. My 6s has been pretty meh in terms of battery life.
    Trooper27 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by diggity View Post
    For me, there doesn't appear to be enough difference between the 6s and 7. Yes, I know about the new and improved camera and faster processor. But they say that pretty much every year, and I usually don't see that much of a difference with speed and photos between old and new models when I upgrade every year. I guess it's safe to say that I have finally realized it's not necessary for me to upgrade every year. I need to emphasize the 'for me' part... I am definitely not speaking for anybody but myself.
    Well stated, diggity......I take photos with my iPhone for work purposes more than I do for personal reasons, and they all look the same or slightly better than last year's iPhone. In fact, the camera is not even a consideration for me with respect to buying an iPhone. I mean, I'm glad it's available, but it wouldn't really bother me if it wasn't.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    TLD1's Avatar

    Posts
    738 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    I did it for battery, better camera, and the water resistance is a nice touch. Mainly it is for the larger battery. My 6s has been pretty meh in terms of battery life.
    Battery life is probably the leading reason I would upgrade...that, and like Jus_Me_D said, "because I want it".

    From the time I pull my 6s off the charger in the morning, until I get home after a 12-hour+ day, I'm usually at 20% or less...and I'd say t'm a moderate user. If I go out after work or do anything extracurricular...I'm looking for a charge. If I could be sure of even a 10-20% improvement in that...I'd be happy. Camera improvement & faster processor...meh. Same yadayadayada each year, IMO. Battery life would be the key to my upgrade too.
    Premium1 and Trooper27 like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TLD1 View Post
    Now, how can you fault logic like that?
    (Laughing)....You know me. I tell it like it is...
  10. #10  

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    I'm getting one because I have an addiction to gadgets and I just have to upgrade every year. It's an illness that my husband happily supports so he's helping feed the addiction.
  11. #11  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,926 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,491 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    High color gamut screen, new chip, and new camera, plus water resistance does it for me. But I'm abnormal.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    TLD1's Avatar

    Posts
    738 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    High color gamut screen, new chip, and new camera, plus water resistance does it for me. But I'm abnormal.
    Not to worry...we're all abnormal on this bus, Rene!
    Nonsenseinsd8 likes this.
  13. #13  
    iphone2291's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    I always say "there's no need to upgrade" but there's something in me that just needs a new iPhone every year. I ordered the iphone 7 matte black. Upgrading from iPhone 6S.
  14. #14  
    Jamie Wooten's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,158 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    I'll probably wind up with one VERY soon. Not rushing out to get one as I have a perfectly good 6s and a galaxy S7 edge. I'd say the camera and battery life is what interest me though.
    Trooper27 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Not for me. My 6s Plus still perfectly does the job.
    I upgraded from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus because of the increase in RAM, which made a huge difference, and because of Rose Gold . I'm happy with the pictures it takes, battery life (I'm a heavy user) and 64GB is the right amount of storage. 128GB would feel like wasted space.

    I'm not someone who upgrades only to have the latest, but because I need to (so, to me, latest =/= greatest).
    ladyc0524 likes this.
  16. #16  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    Not for me. My 6s Plus still perfectly does the job.
    I upgraded from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus because of the increase in RAM, which made a huge difference, and because of Rose Gold . I'm happy with the pictures it takes, battery life (I'm a heavy user) and 64GB is the right amount of storage. 128GB would feel like wasted space.

    I'm not someone who upgrades only to have the latest, but because I need to (so, to me, latest =/= greatest).
    I am upgrading because my wife's 5s camera is totally scratched and each photo looks like an alien is hiding in the corner. She wants my 6. I was not going to upgrade from the 6 to 6s or the 7. I wanted to wait for the 8. But we all have our reasons. Many we are good with, others seem to have the need to justify why they're not getting it. It's your money.. spend it how you want.
  17. #17  
    iBill 100's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    10 Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    I'm upgrading because I have the Apple upgrade program and I can replace my 6S with a 7. Since Apple increased the storage on the new iPhones, the new 128GB iPhone 7 will cost less per month than the old 128GB iPhone 6s. Also, did I mention that I just want one!

    The 256GB iPhone 7 will cost the same per month as the 128GB iPhone 6S. I'll take a 128GB black one please, lol!!
    jenmeow78 likes this.
  18. #18  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by iBill 100 View Post
    I'm upgrading because I have the Apple upgrade program and I can replace my 6S with a 7. Since Apple increased the storage on the new iPhones, the new 128GB iPhone 7 will cost less per month than the old 128GB iPhone 6s. Also, did I mention that I just want one!

    The 256GB iPhone 7 will cost the same per month as the 128GB iPhone 6S. I'll take a 128GB black one please, lol!!
    As long as you don't mind waiting.. I am not sure there will be many 128GB Matte Blacks in store until around November. I could be wrong.
  19. #19  
    iBill 100's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    10 Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Hi Craig,
    I hope you are wrong about the wait. BTW, I read that the new Jet Black iPhone is susceptible to light scratches which led me to chose the black iPhone.
    Per Apple's website:
    The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.
  20. #20  
    SnapThrow's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    I've always "treated" myself to the newest iPhone every year since the 3GS... and now that I have T-Mo Jump-on-Demand it is easy to upgrade every year. However, my other family members that have 6s iPhones are not upgrading this year -- they are more "normal" and are basically on a two year upgrade cycle
  21. #21  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by iBill 100 View Post
    Hi Craig,
    I hope you are wrong about the wait. BTW, I read that the new Jet Black iPhone is susceptible to light scratches which led me to chose the black iPhone.
    Per Apple's website:
    The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.
    Yes, thanks.. numerous posts about the finger prints and scratches re: Jet Black, it's why I ordered the Matte Black instead. Was not related to my initial reply. I only said that black was the first to go, and may not be available in stores for your trade in right away. It may be a wait. Some are showing back orders into November for online. However we all know store quantities are different. But if the black in store is as popular as online, they will sell out on day 1, at least in 32GB and 128GB. May have a shot for 256GB for Matte Finish. However Jet Black does not come in 32GB option.
  22. #22  
    nikkimd11's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    78 Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    I would love to get the iPhone 7, it'd be nice to have the latest tech and specs at my hands, nevertheless my iPhone 6s is like new and I've only had it for a year, and thinking realistically I don't need to update and I should wait till next year, and thus I'm gonna stick to my iPhone 6s
    Just_Me_D and johnmed3 like this.
  23. #23  
    paulxxwall's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    How's this " high color gamut " screen standing up to these Samsung 2k displays or just a gimmick?
  24. #24  
    w00cash1020's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    166 Posts
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    I'm not switching to a 7. Just no features that would make me wanna do it. Also I got my 6 s in December so I think it's gonna last me for a while still.
  25. #25  
    anon(9733642)'s Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

    Default Re: From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

    Look maybe it's my opinion, and maybe I'm wrong, but to say the 6s and 7 or 6s Plus and 7 Plus are too similar is to change is wrong. I get it, with 6s and 6s Plus all "Needs" are met easily with a great barely year old device.

    But realistically the devices are completely different in so many ways. Question is whether those differences are enough to make the switch. With the Home Button changes its clear iOS 10 is optimized for the 7 series. It's faster in all aspects, better camera. The software IS better.

    But if you're just hardware guy or gal which is cool, than yeah...the 6s or 6s Plus are both still great devices and will continue to be.

    But again, the 7 series is an upgrade in so many ways, just not as aesthetically upgraded as some fans would like. In some instances no feature in the world be good enough to get a person pay to switch to a phone that looks so similar.

    After using the 6s on iOS 10.0.1 last few days it's becoming obvious something's missing and I can't wait to see how the new 3D Touch Home Button is incorporated.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-17-2016, 01:14 PM
  2. How to Know Which Country has Most Icloud Email users ?
    By icloudcustomercare in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2016, 10:09 AM
  3. A Single Raster line... fixable or not?
    By evangel77 in forum iPad mini 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2016, 08:50 AM
  4. How to take a screenshot on your iPhone 7
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2016, 08:30 AM
  5. Problems after updating to iOS 9.3.5
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2016, 07:57 AM

Posting Permissions