A friend told me he read that Apple wasn't doing the "S" model every other year anymore. Said smaller "SE" would release every other year, rotating with standard iPhone.

Has anyone else heard that?

I always waited for the "s" model to come out, but if that's going away, may just jump on the 7 ship this year.
    09-09-2016 05:08 AM
    As long as they put in 3D Touch anyway, I won't mind.
    09-09-2016 05:44 AM
    Unless your friend is a high level Apple executive who has a say in strategic planning and product development, his guess is as good as any of ours. Is Apple going to move to a lengthier refresh cycle and adopt a "tic-toc-toc" rather than a "tic-toc" pattern, probably. They've already done that. I doubt the SE will see an annual upgrade but I don't think it's going to be every three years either.
    There are rumors that suggest that Apple is going to call next year's model iPhone 8 and that it's going to be a major refresh. I don't disagree with that but, as usual, take it with a grain of salt.
    ladyc0524 and KarmelVixen like this.
    09-09-2016 06:05 AM
    Rob said it best above.. can't top his answer!

I tend to agree that next year can't be an "S" with the anniversary etc.. it should be an iPhone 8, but who knows.

But for now, we enjoy what we have!
    09-09-2016 01:39 PM
    I'm looking into a crystal ball. It isn't a very good crystal ball. LoL.

I think Apple is re-setting the clock as much as giving themselves time. I have this hunch the 7 gives them time to polish the 8 and start a new timeline for the iPhone as a product. I won't be surprised when we hear the new iPhone is available earlier than the current standard of Sept. And I won't be surprised when the "8" and the next version are the same design.. But will Apple call it the 8 and then 8s? Or do they move on to a new naming convention? I think they move on. Does the new iPhone need numbering? We don't have that with Macs. My crystal ball is blurry and not very accurate. But the funny part is that I don't think I will be that far from reality.
    09-09-2016 02:24 PM
    Your friend pulled it out of his you know what.
    09-09-2016 02:32 PM
    I'm looking into a crystal ball. It isn't a very good crystal ball. LoL.

I think Apple is re-setting the clock as much as giving themselves time. I have this hunch the 7 gives them time to polish the 8 and start a new timeline for the iPhone as a product. I won't be surprised when we hear the new iPhone is available earlier than the current standard of Sept. And I won't be surprised when the "8" and the next version are the same design.. But will Apple call it the 8 and then 8s? Or do they move on to a new naming convention? I think they move on. Does the new iPhone need numbering? We don't have that with Macs. My crystal ball is blurry and not very accurate. But the funny part is that I don't think I will be that far from reality.
    They have never done a number increment and added and S before.. only added the S to an existing model. Never did they go from 5 to 6S they went from 5 to 5S to 6 to 6S to 7. No reason to even imagine the next would be 8S only 8 or 7S.
    09-09-2016 02:42 PM
    Rumors and rumors of rumors say next year is the biggie with major design changes and whatnot. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they call next year's iPhone the iPhone 10. It would, after all, be the 10th iPhone, not counting the additional Plus, 5c, and SE.
    09-09-2016 02:45 PM
    Skipping numbers seem odd, maybe iPhone Anniversary? Not sure.. but to go from 7-10 seems odd.

Like Heinz 57 sauce, still wondering what happened to #1-56
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    09-09-2016 02:49 PM
    They have never done a number increment and added and S before.. only added the S to an existing model. Never did they go from 5 to 6S they went from 5 to 5S to 6 to 6S to 7. No reason to even imagine the next would be 8S only 8 or 7S.
    I don't think the past will be a good model for the future. They broke that model in spectacular fashion wth the 7. My cheap, uninformed crystal ball is that we will get the "new" iPhone without a number. And I am happy to eat crow. Follow up then. I will be here.
    09-09-2016 03:09 PM