Are YOU ok with no audio jack??

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I know I posted before I got my 7+, after using it for a little over a week, the no headphone jack has been no issue for me. I've used the adapter, the lightning earphones, and the Bluetooth earphones I picked up. However I'm thinking about picking up a pair of AudioTechnica Bluetooth headphones, $40 more than the air pods, massively more battery life, comes with a cable in case the battery dies, and still allows controls on the headphones themselves.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I know I posted before I got my 7+, after using it for a little over a week, the no headphone jack has been no issue for me. I've used the adapter, the lightning earphones, and the Bluetooth earphones I picked up. However I'm thinking about picking up a pair of AudioTechnica Bluetooth headphones, $40 more than the air pods, massively more battery life, comes with a cable in case the battery dies, and still allows controls on the headphones themselves.

Which ones specifically?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Nice thanks. I'm still looking around for alternatives just in case.

No problem, if you're looking for in ear, Jaybird Freedom and Jaybird X2 are good options and $10 cheaper than AirPods, while still giving you more controls and with an included battery pack gets roughly 8 hours of battery life.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
No problem, if you're looking for in ear, Jaybird Freedom and Jaybird X2 are good options and $10 cheaper than AirPods, while still giving you more controls and with an included battery pack gets roughly 8 hours of battery life.

I was looking at those at bestbuy the other day. Hopefully more brands will be able to take advantage of the W1 chip later.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what QC15s or QC35s are but they sound expensive and presumably need to be recharged. Why not just include the headphone socket on the phone, then everyone is happy?

Bose Quite Comforts. The 35s are BT, and come with a wire. They recharge through USB. Perfect for those international flights, working in the yard, etc. best noise cancelling headphones available. Expensive is a relative term, what's costly for you may not be for someone else, but I find them worth every penny. I considered their new ear bud models, but those don't have wired capability, so you can't plug them into aircraft entertainment system.

If you don't need noise cancellation capabilities, there are hundreds of other BT headsets out there. Once you lose the wires, you'll never want to go back, but Apple includes lightning earbuds and an adapter if you insist, plus lighting headset from other manufactures have already hit the market.

According to iFixit, the new Taptic Engine and a larger battery occupies the spot the jack was in. Apple wasn't the first (I believe they are the fourth) to can the jack. Even if you switch to a new platform, you're only delaying it.

Lose it now and enjoy.

zwuncki

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
First I thought it was a dealbreaker for me. I always used wired headphones. But for maybe 5 months now I have used the Powerbeats 2 Wireless for listening to music on the go. Not good quality at all but it's ok for listening to it for maybe 30 minutes. So I was used to it.

Now with the iPhone 7 I wanted something better and bought the very small and ultra light Bose Soundlink On-Ear. And OMG. What a difference to the Powerbeats 2 Wireless. I am in no way an audiophile. But these headphones are great compared to any earphones. And the voice guide plus the 2 devices syncing is so comfortable. No much more expensive and bigger Beats Solo 3 needed here. Amazing headphones for this price. So I don't even need any wired headphones anymore. That's it.

I was always against wireless headphones. Not only because of quality, although I'm no audiophile in any way, but because of battery life and charging another device. But I got used to it and the iPhone doesn't use that much more battery compared to wired headphones and BT off.

And there is so much charging nowadays. Not only cellphone anymore. Watches, headphones, trackers etc.

adam13141

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
After the Apple announcement i see a lot of people are not ok with this change, and some even completely hate it. I'm wondering are there people out there OK with the change and don't mind the fact that there is no audio jack? or maybe you are happy about this change.

I for one don't mind it, i actually don't listen much with my headphones so i'm ok and can't wait to get a new iPhone.

It doesn't bother me. I use the lightening cable ear buds that came with the iPhone and Beats Studios. I never need to charge and listen with wired headphones at the same time. I do understand why some people would be upset. If you have really nice wired headset or you need to charge and listen at the same time and don't want to use an adapter.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It seems like Apple would be smart to make a couple of lightning port dongles, beyond the lightning port to headphone jack. Make one like Anker is that goes to two lightning ports, and a second one that goes to a lightning port and a headphone jack.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It seems like Apple would be smart to make a couple of lightning port dongles, beyond the lightning port to headphone jack. Make one like Anker is that goes to two lightning ports, and a second one that goes to a lightning port and a headphone jack.

I think there will be enough 3rd party companies making accessories to keep the marketplace happy. It's doubtful Apple will make one, for the simple reason by doing so.. it's sort of admitting it's an issue. Let companies like Belkin make the $ off those items with Apple's thumbs up!

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't bother me. I use wireless headphones for the most part and have Bluetooth in my car. Family member hinted at having bought me some wireless beats as well so I should be all set.

2ndHalfCor

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I find it very annoying. I've only had the phone for a week. I walk the dog in the morning before getting ready for work and have wired headsets all around the house. I listen to podcasts and business audios while I walk. This morning I missed my audio because I left both the lightning adapter and headset at the office. There are reasons for simple standards. Convenience is one of those.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I find it very annoying. I've only had the phone for a week. I walk the dog in the morning before getting ready for work and have wired headsets all around the house. I listen to podcasts and business audios while I walk. This morning I missed my audio because I left both the lightning adapter and headset at the office. There are reasons for simple standards. Convenience is one of those.

Question... if you left the "headset" at home.. why would having a jack or not having a jack matter. If you don't remember to bring the headset, why would the form of connection make a difference. Like saying the "iPhone sucks" because I left it at home, and I could not make a phone call without the phone. If you don't bring an umbrella, is it the manufactures fault you got wet?

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

BT is a simple standard.

I do the same thing you do, except I do it wirelessly.

Some people still write out checks, by hand.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Question... if you left the "headset" at home.. why would having a jack or not having a jack matter. If you don't remember to bring the headset, why would the form of connection make a difference. Like saying the "iPhone sucks" because I left it at home, and I could not make a phone call without the phone. If you don't bring an umbrella, is it the manufactures fault you got wet?

Because 2ndHalfCor mentioned having multiple headsets at home; with a headphone jack, if you leave one headset at the office you can still use one of the others that are at home. Kind of like, since umbrellas are made to fit in your hand, you can use any of the other umbrellas at home if you forget one at the office -- in fact you might intentionally leave one at the office. Of course, if one umbrella maker requires a special adapter to use the umbrella, and you leave that adapter at the office....

taeisme

Trusted Member
Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I am kinda of annoyed that I can't charge my phone and listen to music or talk at the same time but i am patiently waiting for the Airpods and life will be peachy again.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Because 2ndHalfCor mentioned having multiple headsets at home; with a headphone jack, if you leave one headset at the office you can still use one of the others that are at home. Kind of like, since umbrellas are made to fit in your hand, you can use any of the other umbrellas at home if you forget one at the office -- in fact you might intentionally leave one at the office. Of course, if one umbrella maker requires a special adapter to use the umbrella, and you leave that adapter at the office....

He said multiple at home, never said he brought any of them with him.. If he said he brought the "wrong one" I would have not mentioned it. However I have a few too, so I got 3 adapters and they are permanently attached to the headset. Solved that issue easily.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen