Are YOU ok with no audio jack??

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm cool with it, I have Bluetooth in my car and I plan on getting the EarPods so everything works great for me.

I agree. Been having Bluetooth audio on my last 3 car leases. I never use a headphone jack. So for me it's better. All that headphone jack on my iPhones did was collect dust. I remember always using a q-tip to clean. Not anymore :)

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I am not ok with it. It?s just a way for Apple to make more money. My headphones are fine just as they are now. And the adapter is easily lost.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
If your not happy with it that's fine. Your entitled to your opinion. I get it. If you dot mind it that's fine also. Why some feel the need to constantly post and push their ideals on others in attempt to proves those wrong or force them to believe what they want is beyond me. It's fine. Like whatever you want.

Personally I don't mind losing the jack. I see why some are upset. I don't go around arguing and trying to prove anything.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I use Bluetooth headsets and connect to my pioneer head unit through it as well. I've never used my iPhone 6 audio jack so I could care less if they get rid of it.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's a hyperbole. But if we want to use Apple products we have to buy Apple- specific accessories. Most phones use a mini-USB to charge for example. We have to have an Apple only charger. Now it's the same with earbuds unless we use and/or adaptors.

Yes, the charging cables are Apple specific, but I've upgraded a bunch of outlets throughout the house and added USB charging ports. I have them in my car, quite a few aircrafts while flying domestic, and haven't flown international in years without one.

I've been using BT for a few years. I have speakers in the bedroom and kitchen, plus a traveling speaker, and BT headsets. You won't catch me buying a car without it, or without USB ports.

Yea, once a month I plug in an analog earpiece, but I'll simply toss the adapter in my bag, just in case. But I'll never break up my work / life flow over an old analog port that I may use less than an hour a month.

Last edited:

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm still getting use to the idea, I'm most likely not going to be upgrading but
Only because I have a 6s and feel I can wait 1 more year, but I do feel it would take me a while to get accustomed to this change because I do listen to music or talk on the phone with my headphone often while I am charging the phone

ski542002

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I love the convenience of wireless, and it's amazing how "in-the-way" the wire from ear-to-ear seems to be. BUT, if the fidelity of this new convenient wireless tech isn't as clear-sounding for voice communications, and some music, then is it really a step forward? This has been mentioned before in this thread; can't wait to hear how good the voice quality is of the new Apple $150 pair. If it's as good as a wire, I'll be all for it!

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I was really ticked off about it at first until I sat and thought about it. My car is a 2016 Mazda6 and has an auxiliary jack, two USB ports, and Bluetooth. I've owned it for a year as of next month and I've never used the auxiliary jack. In fact, I don't even have an aux cord in the car. I just use Bluetooth or USB when I want to listen to music from my phone (most of the time I listen to XM).

At work, I use some cheap Skullcandy headphones I got on clearance at Best Buy. They are wired with the 3.5mm jack, but the supplied Apple lightning headphones will work fine. I've never had a problem with the EarPods, really. I've charged my phone and listened to music at the same time at work roughly 2-3 times in the 2 years I've had the phone. That's the good thing about the Plus model - I hardly ever have to charge it during the day.

So, it appears as though the lack of a headphone jack really doesn't matter to me like I thought it did.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in another thread.

Good read. Please take some time to look over it, let it sink in, and last be open minded.

If you survey Android users about what it would take to get them to switch to iPhone, none of them would say "I want an iPhone without a headphone jack." And if you survey iPhone users about what would tempt them to upgrade, none of them would say they want an iPhone without a headphone jack either. People want more battery life. Or a faster processor. Or a better camera. Or more waterproofing. Or less breakability. Or something. But not the removal of the headphone jack. Nobody wants that.

Personally, I don’t particularly want it either. But to understand Apple’s success over the years, you have to understand that nobody was asking for a teardrop-shaped laptop before the release of the MacBook Air. Nor was anybody saying that the big problem with BlackBerry’s smartphones was that they had a physical keyboard.

You don’t ship great products by doing surveys and giving people want they want. You ship great products by coming up with ideas that are better than what people think they want. Apple has been successful over the years in part because their integrated business model makes them uniquely capable of taking this kind of big crazy risk.

Apple has an advantage that nobody else in the industry does: They know that if they make a new iPhone, a whole bunch of people will buy it. What Apple wants, of course, is a hit product. They want sales to go up rather than down, and they’d like to see sales go up a lot rather than up a little. But they have the luxury of knowing that the absolute number of units sold is going to be enormous — even if for one reason or another people don’t love the product as much as earlier iterations.

That’s in part because Apple has a loyal customer base (fanboys, reality distortion field, etc.) but it’s more fundamentally because only Apple makes iOS devices. If Apple releases several years’ worth of disappointing iPhones in a row, their market share will decline and the company will collapse. But in the short-term, the company is basically disaster-proof because switching away from iOS to Android is enough of a hassle that people won’t do it en masse over one bad iPhone update.

The makers of Android smartphones don’t have this luxury. Even a very mild dissatisfaction with a new Samsung product could cause a cataclysmic loss of market share to HTC or LG or vice versa.

The practical upshot of Apple’s short-term guarantee of sales is that they have the luxury of thinking more about the long-term future of their product line. Competition among Android smartphone makers creates a collective action problem. Anyone who drops a feature of any kind will immediately fall behind the competition in terms of feature lists and lose sales. This means the progress of the platform is essentially limited by consumers’ current view of what they want. Apple, by contrast, can force consumers to change their behavior and adopt a new paradigm. On the PC side, that’s why it was Apple that led the way in terms of dropping CD drives, VGA ports, and Ethernet jacks in favor of smaller, lighter machines.

Apple’s judgment about such matters hasn’t been flawless — neither the FireWire nor the Thunderbolt standards that Apple has pushed over the years have proved all that successful — but they do have the strategic opportunity to try to exercise their best judgment about what people will like best, while competitors are limited to consumers’ current judgment and natural conservatism about technology.

Steve Jobs used to discuss this in terms of a hockey metaphor. Apple would skate to where the puck is going. Competitive pressures force other smartphone makers to skate to where the puck is right now, which means that they’re always a step behind. In this case, Apple is betting that reducing the number of holes in the phone will let them build smaller, more robust, more waterproof devices and people won’t miss their old earphones much once they’re used to going wireless. That, however, merely returns the conversation to the central doubt investors and analysts have raised about Apple over the past several years: Steve Jobs is dead.

Jobs was never all there was to Apple — far from it. But having a unique ability to push platforms forward in ways that consumers don’t even know they want hinges crucially on whether your product people can, in fact, come up with things that consumers don’t even know they want. Jobs’s product vision sometimes faltered — people turned out not to want a perfectly round mouse or a desktop computer that looked like a Kleenex box — but he had enough big wins to more than compensate for the losses.

Apple’s unique strength is that from top to bottom it was — and remains — the kind of company where visionary product thinking can succeed. An equally brilliant product guy embedded in a company with a very different overall structure and business model would have simply failed. But Apple’s structural openness to bold visions didn’t — and doesn ’t — guarantee success. The visions need to make sense. In this sense, the removal of the headphone jack is a crucial test for Apple.
The post-Jobs trajectory of Apple has given fodder for both sides of the argument over the company’s dependence on its founder. On the one hand, they have in fact come out with some pretty exciting and innovative new products. On the other hand, those products haven’t been iPhone-scale hits. But back on the first hand, no other product in human history has been an iPhone-scale hit.

Messing in a fundamental way with the iPhone itself provides a much clearer test. Not so much in terms of how this new iPhone sells, but in terms of how many people buy the iPhone after this one. Apple is unique in its ability to make people go try something that sounds crazy and new. If customers still hate it in a couple of years, it will show that Apple is deeply vulnerable. It will mean that Apple not only lacks a Jobs-like innovator, it lacks the ability to recognize that it has lost its Jobs-like innovator and needs to switch to a more conventional approach. But if people do end up liking a product that it sure seems like people would hate, it will be the best proof possible that Apple still has the old magic.

Winchesters

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
At some level, this feels like DejaVu with BB users and the keyboard...
I think we will all look back 5 years from now and wonder why we kept the 3.5 jack ancient tech for so long.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner