How much better can lightning headphones be (technical details appreciated)?

NinjaMom

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
credit card payment methosd that use the headphone jack have noted they will still work with the adapter so theres no loss here.

You obviously did not read the part of the thread where I explained why in this particular service field the dangling dongle does not help.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You obviously did not read the part of the thread where I explained why in this particular service field the dangling dongle does not help.

I do not see anything in the now 22 messages in this topic... where you reference the "dangling dongle" issue. Only that manually entering takes longer.

IF you don't like it this way.. you can...

#1 Use the dongle and live with it.
#2 Use an iPhone 6 or 6S and live with it
#3 Wait until Square or PayPal or whomever releases a lightning connector version
#4 ... other options.

Just don't get the iPhone 7 for your fleet.. until you feel it works.

NinjaMom

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I do not see anything in the now 22 messages in this topic... where you reference the "dangling dongle" issue. Only that manually entering takes longer.

IF you don't like it this way.. you can...

#1 Use the dongle and live with it.
#2 Use an iPhone 6 or 6S and live with it
#3 Wait until Square or PayPal or whomever releases a lightning connector version
#4 ... other options.

Just don't get the iPhone 7 for your fleet.. until you feel it works.

My ONLY point in bringing this up was to remind people that music IS NOT the only use for the headphone jack and I gave an example. No where did I ask for someone to tell me how to run my business or what equipment to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If the service that you use for payment acceptance wants to keep iPhone users as customers, they will make it work.

Shadowfalx

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Also, newer readers (the chip enabled and NFC enabled ones) use Bluetooth instead of the headphone jack, so you'd be going to those eventually anyway (liability shift).

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Nope must've missed that

Edit: just checked your posts where I "obviously didn't read" where you explained why you can't use the dongle/adapter. Um you never mentioned anything about that. And so what, it dangles. It still works and you keep your low fees and precious time. So yes, you're new dangly dongle does help. You just don't want to use it on principle because you feel Apple screwed you.

Last edited:

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
My ONLY point in bringing this up was to remind people that music IS NOT the only use for the headphone jack and I gave an example. No where did I ask for someone to tell me how to run my business or what equipment to buy.

You're getting very grouchy over this for no reason.

No one is telling you how to run your business. The other poster was giving you valid alternatives to your current and inevitable issue.

Obviously businesses that rely on the headphone jack for POS payments are going to be slightly displaced by this. But as the other poster said, these companies may start using Bluetooth or NFC readers soon or may even make an upgraded lightening adapter.

We understand your frustration and are well aware the headphone jack isn't only used for music. But I'd say 90% of people use it for that and Apple looked at the numbers when deciding to nix it. If a dongle is something you will have to temporarily live with, yelling at us won't fix it. Why don't you reach out to Square and others and see if they are already prototyping lightening adapters for their products. Maybe they will let you test one.

NinjaMom

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
You're getting very grouchy over this for no reason.

No one is telling you how to run your business. The other poster was giving you valid alternatives to your current and inevitable issue.

Obviously businesses that rely on the headphone jack for POS payments are going to be slightly displaced by this. But as the other poster said, these companies may start using Bluetooth or NFC readers soon or may even make an upgraded lightening adapter.

We understand your frustration and are well aware the headphone jack isn't only used for music. But I'd say 90% of people use it for that and Apple looked at the numbers when deciding to nix it. If a dongle is something you will have to temporarily live with, yelling at us won't fix it. Why don't you reach out to Square and others and see if they are already prototyping lightening adapters for their products. Maybe they will let you test one.

I'm not grouchy. I'm not yelling at anyone. I most definitely never asked anyone to fix my situation but I have had unsolicited advice crammed down my throat and I have simply been "forced" time and time again to justify why the dongle is not the perfect solution even though discussing how the dongle is not the perfect solution was never my intention to begin with.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS: Once again. I only brought up this scenario to explain that MUSIC was NOT NECESSARILY the ONLY REASON for the headphone jack. It had other uses. Period. That is all I wanted to throw out there.

In a perfect world everyone would have read what I had typed and instead of offering unsolicited advice they would have simply said "Yeah, there is that other use for the headphone port".

BrayBreBai

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I think Apple wasn't thinking about themselves when they removed the headphone jack but they thought about the millions of consumers who want things like "longer battery life" or "water resistance". They figured since the consumers keep us in business, we have to meet those needs even if we have to give them an "ALTERNATIVE" method of listening to music which if everyone thought about, isn't so bad. The only way they saw fit was to remove it so that it would create more space for the bigger battery and water resistance. They even threw in the adapter so you don't have to buy new headphones or pony up the 160 for their wireless headphones. I really don't think it's that big of a deal

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not a big deal. They are offering workarounds until companies decide to make lightning adapters. The poster above is just pissed off because she feels slighted by Apple. It makes sense to get rid of the port as its natural progression of technology.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I think Apple wasn't thinking about themselves when they removed the headphone jack but they thought about the millions of consumers who want things like "longer battery life" or "water resistance". They figured since the consumers keep us in business, we have to meet those needs even if we have to give them an "ALTERNATIVE" method of listening to music which if everyone thought about, isn't so bad. The only way they saw fit was to remove it so that it would create more space for the bigger battery and water resistance. They even threw in the adapter so you don't have to buy new headphones or pony up the 160 for their wireless headphones. I really don't think it's that big of a deal

Things change, and some people don't like change. Fire years from now it might be that you can't buy a single phone with a 1960's jack incorporated into the design.

I don't think Apple was "thinking" about Music or Credit Card readers when they decided to do this. They were thinking about the space that a 3.5mm jack and it's associated "parts" require in a design. And maybe not specifically for the iPhone 7, but for future hardware designs.

garfieldthecat

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Things change, and some people don't like change. Fire years from now it might be that you can't buy a single phone with a 1960's jack incorporated into the design.
Is it so hard to keep this discussion ON TOPIC??

The question is on the technicalities of how much better (if any) lightning headphones can potentially be.

As explained very clearly at the beginning, it was NOT about whether you agree with the removal of the jack or not; if that's what you want to talk about, there are other discussions, on this site and elsewhere

Most answers had NOTHING to do with the original question.

NinjaMom

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
It's not a big deal. They are offering workarounds until companies decide to make lightning adapters. The poster above is just pissed off because she feels slighted by Apple. It makes sense to get rid of the port as its natural progression of technology.

Lol. Once again. You are completely wrong. I am not pissed. I do not feel slighted by Apple. I am actually finding you acting like you know how I feel very humorous. You obviously can not understand a simple concept that I was never mad at Apple but that I was just bringing to light that the headphone jack was for more than music.

NinjaMom

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I doubt the lightning headphones will truly be better than the standard headphone jack. I think it is more about making for less ports to help with waterproofing and streamlining the design.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Once again. You are completely wrong. I am not pissed. I do not feel slighted by Apple. I am actually finding you acting like you know how I feel very humorous. You obviously can not understand a simple concept that I was never mad at Apple but that I was just bringing to light that the headphone jack was for more than music.

It is for a lot of us.. I use Square and will have to deal with the adapter until Square sends us all a lightning jack connector. Granted I don't use it every day.. so not a big deal for me. Your mileage may vary.

As for the actual topic, even if the lightning connector would provide better sound over the old jack, not sure I would really hear the difference. I think my hearing is pretty good, but that minor change for a MP3 file is (lack of a better term) microscopic. Maybe for a true audiophile, there could be a subtle difference. All that being said, I think now they can come out with better headsets because of the options that the port allows. That part I am excited to see... what progresses in the next year.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

This is what happens when you go against the Apple norm. People jump out and attack and make you feel like you were wrong.

I understood your point. It was quite clear. I honestly saw more hostility towards you than you directed towards anyone else.

NinjaMom

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
This is what happens when you go against the Apple norm. People jump out and attack and make you feel like you were wrong.

I understood your point. It was quite clear. I honestly saw more hostility towards you than you directed towards anyone else.

Thank you.

cunningbrad

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You guys are almost treating this like a philosophical question. "Why did the creator do what the creator did" and while we are trying to answer this question lets complicate it as much as we can. The creator, in this case Apple, listened to the humans when they cried out "We want better battery life in our electronics!". And the creator says "Ok then I will make the phones bigger."
Then the humans screams out "We keep on dropping our phone in the toilet because we put them in our back pockets because our phones with its bigger batteries can't fit in our front pockets!"
So the creator pondered for 2 generation. I will make the phones water resistant by getting rid of this big fat 16mm x 3.5mm diameter gaping hole in our device and make the humans us this already available thin, small connecter to get their music. And since we are removing the humans ability to insert this long mini phallic looking device in our phones, we can make our batteries bigger!
Period end of story.

garfieldthecat

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
So the creator pondered for 2 generation. I will make the phones water resistant by getting rid of this big fat 16mm x 3.5mm diameter gaping hole in our device and make the humans us this already available thin, small connecter to get their music. And since we are removing the humans ability to insert this long mini phallic looking device in our phones, we can make our batteries bigger!
Period end of story.
Totally off topic! Why on Earth is it so hard to keep this discussion on topic? Again, if you want to talk about how you like this change or not and why, there are other discussions! This was meant to be about the technicalities of lightning vs non-lightning headphones.

By the way, not only are you off topic, you are also blatantly wrong, because you forget that many of Apple's competitors have managed to make their phones waterproof and with bigger batteries without removing the audio jack.

I haven't been able to find anything that could even remotely suggest why lightning headphones could be any better. I'd be very, very surprised if lightning headphones come to the market which are better than Shure, Westone, etc. Those who don't know these brands should not even dare say anything on a discussion about the quality of headphones. And, to those who talk about hi-res 24 bit audio, I say I'd be very very surprised to see lightning headphones better than these shure with their own DAC: KSE1500 Electrostatic Earphone System | Shure Americas

In other words, I had always thought it was a marketing move which had nothing to do with sound quality, and I haven't found the slightest piece of information which could even remotely suggest the opposite.