Black or Jet Black?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I was 100% matte black until I read some first impressions this morning. Many are indicating the jet black is sort of "sticky" and not nearly as slippery as the matte finish iPhones. So that has me pondering things now. I think I will have to hold each one this time before I buy.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Simple question, but am wondering what your choice would be. For me it has to be one of the two, but am concerned with scratches and smudging on the Jet Black...

I am going with matte. The jet black looks nice, but too much of a fingerprint and scratch magnet.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I was 100% matte black until I read some first impressions this morning. Many are indicating the jet black is sort of "sticky" and not nearly as slippery as the matte finish iPhones. So that has me pondering things now. I think I will have to hold each one this time before I buy.

Do you have links? I would love to read this because the being less slippy would make me choose it.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Seems like the consensus is matte black! That said, I'll probably go to the store to check 'em out ... unless I can get an earlier look :)

Did not want to open a separate thread for this. But when does Apple historically send out the demo units to stores. Do they wait until official launch day or are they there sooner?

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Struggled with this decision but went Black versus Jet Black. As cool as I bet the Jet Black is, I couldn't get hi res photos showing any major Face Plate differences. Also, I think I might like what appears to be a textured back to the Black and other colors. Who knows. Can always return...paid full retail so I get 30 Days versus 14 if they still do it that way.

ekneeiphone

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
This is the bottom line:
Last night I woke up at 3 am eastern to reserve jet black 7 plus 256 thru the my existing apple upgrade program. CI got thru within a minute of the store coming back online. At this point there were no jet blacks AT ALL to reserve in ANY. Of the stores in my state.. In fact, I checked preorders as well at 3:05 am est and it said all jet black 7 plus shipping 4 to 6 weeks,
Based on the foregoing as well as the fact that I keep my phone in a case and the apple disclaimer that the jet black is more prone to scratching,- a no brainier. MATTE BLACK was reserved.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
This is the bottom line:
Last night I woke up at 3 am eastern to reserve jet black 7 plus 256 thru the my existing apple upgrade program. CI got thru within a minute of the store coming back online. At this point there were no jet blacks AT ALL to reserve in ANY. Of the stores in my state.. In fact, I checked preorders as well at 3:05 am est and it said all jet black 7 plus shipping 4 to 6 weeks,
Based on the foregoing as well as the fact that I keep my phone in a case and the apple disclaimer that the jet black is more prone to scratching,- a no brainier. MATTE BLACK was reserved.

Possibly because a few hours prior the the App Sore was open and people put in their orders in all the way up to Payment Confirmation and then Favorited it. So at 3am you had to go through the whole process and other people opened the app, hit my Account, and confirm order. Their device, payment, and shipping info was already there. You can order in under 15 seconds that way. Seems Apple for wise and took that loophole down 2-3 hours before go time.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I went with the iPhone 7 matte black. I was teetering between the two blacks but ultimately went matte. Can't wait for that 256gb memory, I have almost 80 gigs of pics and videos and my 6s is full to the max. I should be able to rock 256 GB for 2-3 years before I fill that up.