Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts

Default Will it be another full year before the iPhone 8 drops?

Ok...found out that I'm two payments away on my 6s from being upgrade eligible to get the iPhone 7 or 7+. That was good news, since I can pay that up in the two weeks before the iPhone will be available at my local VZW store.

The upgrade from the 6s to the 7 is not as drastic as it was from the 5 to the 6, or even the 6 to the 6s was...and given that Apple isn't making any drastic changes in the iPhone hardware design until 2017 when the "8" (or whatever name Apple gives it) drops...I am questioning my upgrade at this juncture at all.

Do any of you think it will be a full year from now before Apple will drop the "8"...or will it be sooner? I ask that dumb question because I certainly would want to upgrade then!
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,667 Global Posts

Default Re: Will it be another full year before the iPhone 8 drops?

Yes, it is most likely going to be a full year until the next iPhone.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TripleOne View Post
    Yes, it is most likely going to be a full year until the next iPhone.
    Thank you for helping me justify my upgrade a bit more! Ha!
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,667 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TLD1 View Post
    Thank you for helping me justify my upgrade a bit more! Ha!
    No problem!

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts

Ok...found out that I'm two payments away on my 6s from being upgrade eligible to get the iPhone 7 or 7+. That was good news, since I can pay that up in the two weeks before the iPhone will be available at my local VZW store.

The upgrade from the 6s to the 7 is not as drastic as it was from the 5 to the 6, or even the 6 to the 6s was...and given that Apple isn't making any drastic changes in the iPhone hardware design until 2017 when the "8" (or whatever name Apple gives it) drops...I am questioning my upgrade at this juncture at all.

Do any of you think it will be a full year from now before Apple will drop the "8"...or will it be sooner? I ask that dumb question because I certainly would want to upgrade then!
    Apple seems very rigid about their iPhone upgrade cycles. They even have their 1 year iPhone upgrade program. So you can get a new iPhone every year. So there is a 95%+ chance all iPhones in the future will be almost exactly 1 year apart

Don't worry about whats coming up next. Enjoy your new iPhone now ^_^
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts

Yes, I don't think they will launch another before September next year.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts

It will be 2 years before the 8 using the current update cycle. the 7s will be out first....that will be my next phone as I am on a two year upgrade cycle....and recently got the 6s, which I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    It will be 2 years before the 8 using the current update cycle. the 7s will be out first....that will be my next phone as I am on a two year upgrade cycle....and recently got the 6s, which I love.
    Rumor has it there will be no S cycle this time around as the 7 is basically a 6ss so I'm betting on an iPhone 8 next year
    T48
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    Rumor has it there will be no S cycle this time around as the 7 is basically a 6ss so I'm betting on an iPhone 8 next year
    This. Remember that news dropping back in March when the Galaxy S7's & iPhone SE were being announced & were in the media. They were leaning heavily on the full resign coming in September 2017.
    iMore Intermediate

It will be 2 years before the 8 using the current update cycle. the 7s will be out first....that will be my next phone as I am on a two-year upgrade cycle....and recently got the 6s, which I love.
    There is a lot of speculation that next year will see a full version upgrade for the 10th anniversary, maybe to the iPhone 10 (wouldn't be the first time version numbers were skipped).
    iMore Intermediate

I don't think they are going to announce an iPhone 7s next year. They are going to skip that part and launch the 8 right away. The cannot stand with the same design along 4 years.