What is this?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You got a $600 phone with a 750p display that can record video at 4k resolution? Got rid of the headphone jack for no apparent reason except to charge more money for their own lightning headphones or bluetooth options.

What is this? The new iPod iPhone 7.

Last edited:

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
It gives a stereo sound, they include the 3.5 mm to Lightning adapter in the box (as well as the lightning EarPods) and, wait for it, the lightning EarPods can also fall out of your ears!!

Scoop!

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Phones will deliver with lightning earbuds and a lightning adapter for standard headphones...

So you need an adapter to listen to music and if anything happens to that adaptor you need to buy a new one? If the phone is charging in a car or plugged into a battery pack you can't listen to music.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It gives a stereo sound, they include the 3.5 mm to Lightning adapter in the box (as well as the lightning EarPods) and, wait for it, the lightning EarPods can also fall out of your ears!!

Scoop!

So now instead of just taking your headphones with you when you go somewhere, you also have to remember to bring an adapter.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The good news is you don't have to buy it. The 100 year old 3.5mm jack needs to be retired. Apple just has the guts to pull the trigger. Other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.

I'm okay with it. Bring on the lightning headphones and the HOT jet black iPhone 7 Plus.

ekneeiphone

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
So you use headphones when you are driving a car? That is one of my biggest pet peeves.
You can't hear your surroundings. Just slightly worse than texting and driving. Very dangerous.
If the new phone has stereo speakers and is louder, you don't have to use headphones in the car.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The good news is you don't have to buy it. The 100 year old 3.5mm jack needs to be retired.

I don't use the headphone jack that much. Maybe less than 1% of the time that I use audio on my phone. Mostly use bluetooth headphones. But to play devil's advocate here; why does the headphone jack need to be retired? Just curious people's reasoning for this is.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Crazy thought - leave the adapter connected to the headphones you've always remembered to take with you.

For as hacky and messy I think the dongle is, this is the silver lining with this thing. I assume most people just use one type of wired headsets pretty much all the time and just leaving the dongle connected to the wire no matter what is pretty much all that is needed.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Phones will deliver with lightning earbuds and a lightning adapter for standard headphones...

I need to watch the keynote to see how to use the headphones and charge at the same time. I use an external pack and listen to audible, music, podcasts, etc

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I need to watch the keynote to see how to use the headphones and charge at the same time. I use an external pack and listen to audible, music, podcasts, etc

I saw the keynote and I really think you can't charge you phone and listen to music at the same time. Unfortunately they didn't mention nothing about that.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the headphone jack that much. Maybe less than 1% of the time that I use audio on my phone. Mostly use bluetooth headphones. But to play devil's advocate here; why does the headphone jack need to be retired? Just curious people's reasoning for this is.

Fair question. The headphone jack doesn't technically NEED to be retired. Perhaps my wording was a little harsh. That being said, mobile device real estate is extremely valuable. I mean, phone manufacturers are looking at fractions of millimeters for room to fit components. If Apple can use that freed up real estate for something that benefits the end user I'm all for it. I'm perfectly fine using lightning headphones or the adapter that comes with the phone.

I am not in love with the fact that Apple is removing the headphone jack, but I'm also not all torn up over it.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
So you use headphones when you are driving a car? That is one of my biggest pet peeves.
You can't hear your surroundings. Just slightly worse than texting and driving. Very dangerous.
If the new phone has stereo speakers and is louder, you don't have to use headphones in the car.

Amen, I hate when I see folks driving with headphones on!!! Being a motorcyclist, I have had more close calls from young folks texting and listening to music with headphones while driving. I am for having a large on the spot ticket with points for the violators.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
if you're not mobile, one of these: iPhone Lightning Dock - Black - Apple -- you can plug headphones into the dock and the dock can connect to a computer or Apple Charger... and I wouldn't put it past 3rd party accessory makers to come up with other solutions like an adapter that has an audio jack and USB-c connector to facilitate charging while using headphones.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

I can't accurately speak for how iOS Gravity listens to music in his/her car, but there are many people who use the 3.5 mm jack to plug into their car stereo system. My previous car didn't have Bluetooth audio streaming capabilities, so this was how I had to play music from my iPhone on my car stereo.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

No... how do you expect me to listen to anything other than the music with my headphones in. I was referring to the passenger seat or when using an aux cord.