I'm not saying that this might not be the future, but it's ridiculous to just keep accepting this nonsense without questioning the practicality of it.
    It's a headphone jack ... get over it! 1980's called they want their technology back ...
    What is this?-sony-cassette-walkman-original-1200-80.jpg
    09-08-2016 04:17 AM
    I'm not buying it, I never was when I turned my phone on to find out what unfolded at the keynote. But its been 2 years and the best Apple could do was a slightly bigger battery, something they reduced last year, and removing the headphone jack? No better display, faster charging or anything? I was actually looking forward to seeing if Apple was releasing a good phone this year. But you know, look at this really cool integrated home button that really does nothing for you.
    I strongly agree with you here. That's my point as well. Not headphone jacket, as I said I even noticed it exist in last 3 years, but lack of innovation. This really annoy me. It seems to me this year iPhone is a kind of "gap wait" (sorry I don't know if there is a word to say that), a model Apple released just in order to make us wait for the next big one, with new design and really relevant news next year, when iPhone makes 10th anniversary. This is not good.

But, look, I don't see just Apple doing this. All manufacturers are quite boring last years. Even Samsung (and I say this looking for my S7 Olympics Edition); more processor, more software gimmicks, better camera, better battery (but, sorry, still not a par with my 6 Plus), theoretically better screens with bigger resolutions (but, really, do you really notice any practical difference between the "I-don't-know-how-old" retina displays resolutions and these world cracking 4K screens Sony want to convince us is the unique 21st century experience??) and... What news? What really news? I'm a bit old, so I remember choosing in the past between Sony Cli and a lot of Palm devices, then between PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Symbian, all with different main points and downfalls and extremely different designs.

Today what do we have? Here, in Brazil, all Samsungs (the only manufacturer which really do care about this huge market), all iPhones very late and very overpriced (our iPhone is the world's most expensive every year, for the last eight consecutive years), some Motorolas, some overpriced LGs and, now, some Chinese brands. And that's all. All almost the same. So, lack of news is really a very tough question for me too. I just don't see it as a "just Apple" problem.

And relax, for me at least we are not fighting, in any meaning. I won't ever defend Apple or someone else. I just like to debate ideas, nothing more than this.

Cheers,
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-08-2016 05:14 AM
    That's what I've been doing the last two hours. Guess it's wireless headphones then!
    Yeah. The only solution
    09-08-2016 05:56 AM
    An amateur musician and sound engineer here. Although I personally don't use iPhone a lot of musicians do, some even use a bunch of iPhones as their musical instruments. And although I'm not really that crazy about Apple tech their touchscreen and software integration is so good that using the touchscreen as an instrument feels pretty much natural due to the lowest latency in the industry.

Now Apple pretty much shown a huge middle finger to all of these musicians. There is literally no way I can connect (a bare) iP7 to my PA. Yes, I can use the adapter but what if I also want to charge the phone? There is nothing worse that a dead battery in the middle of a performance and it is ALWAYS good practise to have your device plugged in. So by removing a dedicated audio output Apple crippled the use of their device for some nondescript reason that stands under scrutiny.

Now, I don't mean we shouldn't go digital, not at all. I am using a fully digital PA system. But Apple's solution to removing an industry-standard interface is - either use an inferior interface (Bluetooth) with limited usability (and pretty much unusable in professional audio) or use a proprietary digital interface that no one supports (Lightning). Will they integrate USB audio? Or HDMI? Or AES/EBU, MADI or Dante for professionals? Naaah, screw that! We use our own solution! Because we can.

I'm not saying that this is how majority uses their iPhone, not at all (majority uses it as an Instagram/Snapchat/Facebook client anyway). But there is a strong Apple presence in professional audio and there are acts that use mobile Apple devices as part of performance. Apple knows this yet they are alienating this (faithful) part of their customers.

Trust me, I tried but I can not find a single positive reason for removing the connector.
    RumoredNow and RECON1 like this.
    09-08-2016 06:36 AM
    An amateur musician and sound engineer here. Although I personally don't use iPhone a lot of musicians do, some even use a bunch of iPhones as their musical instruments. And although I'm not really that crazy about Apple tech their touchscreen and software integration is so good that using the touchscreen as an instrument feels pretty much natural due to the lowest latency in the industry.

Now Apple pretty much shown a huge middle finger to all of these musicians. There is literally no way I can connect (a bare) iP7 to my PA. Yes, I can use the adapter but what if I also want to charge the phone? There is nothing worse that a dead battery in the middle of a performance and it is ALWAYS good practise to have your device plugged in. So by removing a dedicated audio output Apple crippled the use of their device for some nondescript reason that stands under scrutiny.

Now, I don't mean we shouldn't go digital, not at all. I am using a fully digital PA system. But Apple's solution to removing an industry-standard interface is - either use an inferior interface (Bluetooth) with limited usability (and pretty much unusable in professional audio) or use a proprietary digital interface that no one supports (Lightning). Will they integrate USB audio? Or HDMI? Or AES/EBU, MADI or Dante for professionals? Naaah, screw that! We use our own solution! Because we can.

I'm not saying that this is how majority uses their iPhone, not at all (majority uses it as an Instagram/Snapchat/Facebook client anyway). But there is a strong Apple presence in professional audio and there are acts that use mobile Apple devices as part of performance. Apple knows this yet they are alienating this (faithful) part of their customers.

Trust me, I tried but I can not find a single positive reason for removing the connector.
    The musicians I know don't plug their iPhones directly into any amp, using the headphone jack. Here is a good alternative that has been in existence for some time that some friends use:

Mackie DL1608 - Lightning Connect

Focusrite iTrack Studio - Lightning Connector

Focusrite iTrack Solo - Lightning Connector

Pro-Ject Dock Box S Fi

There are a lot f professional options.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 09-08-2016 at 08:09 AM.
    09-08-2016 07:26 AM
    When I listen to music while driving, I use ONE earbud, the other one hangs down my neck. That way I can hear traffic and stay safe.
    09-08-2016 08:28 AM
    I strongly agree with you here. That's my point as well. Not headphone jacket, as I said I even noticed it exist in last 3 years, but lack of innovation. This really annoy me. It seems to me this year iPhone is a kind of "gap wait" (sorry I don't know if there is a word to say that), a model Apple released just in order to make us wait for the next big one, with new design and really relevant news next year, when iPhone makes 10th anniversary. This is not good.

But, look, I don't see just Apple doing this. All manufacturers are quite boring last years. Even Samsung (and I say this looking for my S7 Olympics Edition); more processor, more software gimmicks, better camera, better battery (but, sorry, still not a par with my 6 Plus), theoretically better screens with bigger resolutions (but, really, do you really notice any practical difference between the "I-don't-know-how-old" retina displays resolutions and these world cracking 4K screens Sony want to convince us is the unique 21st century experience??) and... What news? What really news? I'm a bit old, so I remember choosing in the past between Sony Cli and a lot of Palm devices, then between PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Symbian, all with different main points and downfalls and extremely different designs.

Today what do we have? Here, in Brazil, all Samsungs (the only manufacturer which really do care about this huge market), all iPhones very late and very overpriced (our iPhone is the world's most expensive every year, for the last eight consecutive years), some Motorolas, some overpriced LGs and, now, some Chinese brands. And that's all. All almost the same. So, lack of news is really a very tough question for me too. I just don't see it as a "just Apple" problem.

And relax, for me at least we are not fighting, in any meaning. I won't ever defend Apple or someone else. I just like to debate ideas, nothing more than this.

Cheers,
    I don't mind the headphone jack being removed since I'm not going to deal with it, but its been two years without a decent upgrade. They are boasting a battery that is better than the iPhone 6S's which was smaller than the iPhone 6's. Its like comparing an iPhone 7 battery to that of a 5S. Not even the ram got upgraded. They're boasting about a camera that can record 4k but a screen that's still 1080p.
    09-08-2016 10:19 AM
    I still don't see the reason for removing the headphone jack. Maybe for water resistance? I won't be able to use my square card reader if it isn't compatible.
    More money to be made with a lightning port Square card reader!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-08-2016 10:23 AM
    Hey Gravity I see your doing what you do best.

Stir the Pot. Lol

I feel it's definitely time to drop the Jack.  even accommodated there customers with an adapter and the new Airpods have background noise adjustment.

Honestly it doesn't really matter to me I've gone wireless over a year ago.
    09-08-2016 10:30 AM
    So now instead of just taking your headphones with you when you go somewhere, you also have to remember to bring an adapter.
    If you're bringing your headphones, just keep the adapter attached to them. You still only have to bring your phone and the headphones. It's not that complicated. Still only 2-items.
    Tartarus, kch50428 and kataran like this.
    09-08-2016 11:36 AM
    I will just leave these here...all are good reads and raise valid points.

Better to move the conversation forward, improve knowledge about the subject and of course still have an opinion and rant about it. That is what comments on online forums are all about...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkow...rld#.hg3N2ZDXj

Apple's Phil Schiller says the biggest criticism of removing the headphone jack is 'pure conspiracy theory' | The Verge

The biggest winner from removing the headphone jack is Apple | The Verge
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-08-2016 12:39 PM
    Amen, I hate when I see folks driving with headphones on!!! Being a motorcyclist, I have had more close calls from young folks texting and listening to music with headphones while driving. I am for having a large on the spot ticket with points for the violators.
    I drive with headphones in :^) but I'm cautious so it doesn't bother me. Also I tend to drive when no one is around so it's a win win for me.
    09-08-2016 12:58 PM
    Hey Gravity I see your doing what you do best.

Stir the Pot. Lol

I feel it's definitely time to drop the Jack.  even accommodated there customers with an adapter and the new Airpods have background noise adjustment.

Honestly it doesn't really matter to me I've gone wireless over a year ago.
    nb4 they bring back the headphone jack next year and act like they invented wired sound
    kataran, krazyatom and RumoredNow like this.
    09-08-2016 01:19 PM
    WOW, and Thank You for the thread/topic Ambassador iOS Gravity. I remember a long time ago when I first heard this phrase "If nothing changes, then nothing changes", I really didn't know what that meant at first, but with a little maturity I now understand. I too was taken back when I first saw that the new iPhone 7/7 Plus would be without a "normal" 3mm headphone jack, I thought to myself, "what is Apple doing here", then with a little explanation and a little thought, it actually made sense. The 3mm type jack has been around for quite some time and Apple noticed that and wanted to improve it (as with everything). I really like the way Apple makes things better. Is it better for everyone....not at all.
    I remember hearing Steve Jobs saying "people don't know what they want until you give it to them". This is so true in my book. You have the ability to listen to better quality sounding music, so why not take advantage of this using whats already part of the iPhone...The Lightening Connector.
    Will the 3mm jack be missed...sure, will we have to adjust...sure....will headphone manufacturers start making lightning connectors on their products...sure...Is this the future/present....sure is.
    For me the bottom line is, If I don't like it I move on.
    Edit. 3.5mm jack
    Last edited by Spencerdl; 09-08-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    09-08-2016 01:43 PM
    WOW, and Thank You for the thread/topic Ambassador iOS Gravity. I remember a long time ago when I first heard this phrase "If nothing changes, then nothing changes", I really didn't know what that meant at first, but with a little maturity I now understand. I too was taken back when I first saw that the new iPhone 7/7 Plus would be without a "normal" 3mm headphone jack, I thought to myself, "what is Apple doing here", then with a little explanation and a little thought, it actually made sense. The 3mm type jack has been around for quite some time and Apple noticed that and wanted to improve it (as with everything). I really like the way Apple makes things better. Is it better for everyone....not at all.
    I remember hearing Steve Jobs saying "people don't know what they want until you give it to them". This is so true in my book. You have the ability to listen to better quality sounding music, so why not take advantage of this using whats already part of the iPhone...The Lightening Connector.
    Will the 3mm jack be missed...sure, will we have to adjust...sure....will headphone manufacturers start making lightning connectors on their products...sure...Is this the future/present....sure is.

I remember when I wanted phones to get smaller and smaller, and swore I would never give up my Motorola Razr. But been with iPhone since the 3... and can't imaging what I was thinking! Wacky flip phones LOL
    Spencerdl and pr1nce like this.
    09-08-2016 03:47 PM
    Technology is moving towards bluetooth/wireless everything, headphones, cars, watches, thermometers, speakers, etc. Why is everyone pushing back so hard on this? We had rumors for the last 9 months of this happening. Apple has forced the consumer to accept change in the past and this is no different. This company is proprietary as hell, and you know that once you get immersed into the ecosystem. You don't like it, you don't have to buy it, the 6S/6Splus has a several years of runway in front of it.
    Spencerdl and pr1nce like this.
    09-08-2016 03:56 PM
    I for one want to know why they removed it.
    Despite what was stated during the keynote, let's say the answer is "because we wanted to". What then? Is it not their choice to make since they are the creators of the device? As a consumer, we can choose to buy the device or not buy it. We can also complain about it of which some are doing here in the forums. Yet, I predict that 90% of the people who are upset about Apple excluding an earphone jack from the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus will still go out and buy an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. They will still listen to audio with it and go about their daily business, and after some time has passed, they'll no longer be ticked about the excluded earphone jack.
    It's the same thickness as the iPhone 6S and my iPhone 6 is still thinner. What did they fit into that same space?
    Let's say that nothing was put in that space. What then?
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 09-08-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    09-08-2016 04:22 PM
    OP has a legitimate point. Apple is Apple, but this Apple is new. We are consumers, supposedly informed. Some losses and gains don't add up to a sale. This is, to date, the hardest iPhone sell I have seen. It screams profit *****, next year is great, but this year is money in our pockets transition. Well, I don't transition. I use my phone. I feel like Apple broke the social contract and decided to give us so much more, technically, with nothing really new functionally or, more importantly, creatively,, for same old pricing. I feel kind of cheated. And yet the competition is tough to swallow. I acknowledge that. But that's weak sauce. Apple's ecosystem is hard to break. Every year I feel frustration with Apple. I want more and based on experience expect more. This interactive version is standard, but it is a year beyond standard. This year I am exacerbated with Apple. You move the bar forward, every two years I buy. That's our agreement. You try to sell me on nothing new, just a little better here and there, and I think the agreement is not in my best interest. In my heart I want to support you, champion you Apple. But you give me more with less, and I don't know what to do.
    Just_Me_D and RumoredNow like this.
    09-08-2016 04:24 PM
    We are watching consumer electronics trend resistance in real time these days because we have 24/7 coverage and discussion outlets via the internet. There's nothing new about people complaining about the "next big thing" in any consumer product arena. The newest car, the newest TV, the newest video game console, the newest smart phone, it's all relevant. We are subject to around the clock scrutiny and praise and this, sometimes, prevents people from using the ol' noggin and taking a breath every once in a while when it comes to rational thought.

The OP presented the question "What is this?" Well, amongst other things, it is the newest smart phone variant from Apple with a plethora of new features focused on what Apple feels represents the largest % of their consumer base. They have plans for the next several years, and some of the choices on this device probably reflect things they will implement down the road.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-08-2016 04:42 PM
    .... In my heart I want to support you, champion you Apple. But you give me more with less, and I don't know what to do.
    I do. Enjoy more with less...
    09-08-2016 04:51 PM
    We are watching consumer electronics trend resistance in real time these days because we have 24/7 coverage and discussion outlets via the internet. There's nothing new about people complaining about the "next big thing" in any consumer product arena. The newest car, the newest TV, the newest video game console, the newest smart phone, it's all relevant. We are subject to around the clock scrutiny and praise and this, sometimes, prevents people from using the ol' noggin and taking a breath every once in a while when it comes to rational thought.

The OP presented the question "What is this?" Well, amongst other things, it is the newest smart phone variant from Apple with a plethora of new features focused on what Apple feels represents the largest % of their consumer base. They have plans for the next several years, and some of the choices on this device probably reflect things they will implement down the road.
    'Nuf said...
    09-08-2016 04:52 PM
    There's nothing new about people complaining about the "next big thing" in any consumer product arena.
    You can say that again. Check out this thread from 2001 when the first iPod was announced.

Apple's New Thing (iPod) | MacRumors Forums
    09-08-2016 05:23 PM
    Edit. 3.5mm jack
    I can only imagine Beats mass producing lightning headphones. It would've been way more reasonable if they ditched the headphone jack and used a USB C port for charging and listening to music. USB C is going to be the new standard, not lightning. Lets just forget about this entire headphone jack thing for a second. What did Apple actually ADD to the new iPhone other than the usual camera changes, processor upgrades, and cameras? 256GB isn't that much of a difference, and a darker color option is not even relevant,
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-08-2016 08:15 PM
    I can only imagine Beats mass producing lightning headphones. It would've been way more reasonable if they ditched the headphone jack and used a USB C port for charging and listening to music. USB C is going to be the new standard, not lightning. Lets just forget about this entire headphone jack thing for a second. What did Apple actually ADD to the new iPhone other than the usual camera changes, processor upgrades, and cameras? 256GB isn't that much of a difference, and a darker color option is not even relevant,
    What would have liked to see in the iPhone 7?
    Frankly?I can't think of anything.
    09-08-2016 08:20 PM
    Despite what was stated during the keynote, let's say the answer is "because we wanted to". What then? Is it not their choice to make since they are the creators of the device? As a consumer, we can choose to buy the device or not buy it. We can also complain about it of which some are doing here in the forums. Yet, I predict that 90% of the people who are upset about Apple excluding an earphone jack from the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus will still go out and buy an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. They will still listen to audio with it and go about their daily business, and after some time has passed, they'll no longer be ticked about the excluded earphone jack. Let's say that nothing was put in that space. What then?
    I'm just saying that I am not going to get a new iPhone and the offerings, including the OS updates have been lame this year. Probably would've been better received had it been USB C instead of lightning. :P Like I said I'm not here to stir fights, I'm just questioning what everyone else just willingly accepts from Apple.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-08-2016 08:21 PM
152 12345 ...