Charging and wired headset at the same time possible?

SL2

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Every day I see lots of people on trains and buses, charging their phones while using the headset.
The new iphones changes this. The included adapter won't do any good here, since all it does is letting you use an old headset INSTEAD of charging.

My question is, is this still possible without a wireless headset? Maybe an adapter with both connectors?

Garneth

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
If it's even possible for the Lightning port to conduct two actions at once (music player and charging), I'm guessing some third party will release a lightning adapter that permits for two connections.

SL2

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't have much against dropping the headset jack, it's more about having one connector less.

In the situation described in the OP you'll end up having to charge both the phone and the headset at some point. I don't even know if you can use the airpods while charging..

A lightning port spiltter would be great, one for charging and one for data/music.

smack518

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar concern. I drive a 2008 car, the only way to connect audio is through the Aux (3.5mm) port, and then charge through the 12W (cigarette lighter) port. I drive a lot and don't want to have to alternate between listening to music and podcasts (like iMore) and charging my phone. I also use the phone for GPS directions a lot which EATS battery and that audio also plays through my car speakers via the AUX port.

The included dongle doesn't solve this problem. Need a splitter. I appreciate apple forcing innovation, but I'm certainly not buying a new car to accommodate my phone. Headphones, sure. But the car is a bit of a different animal. Does anyone know of any splitters currently available? Enough 3rd parties probably had the headsup to get MFI certified for launch.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a solution that I've been using for ages, it's not pretty, but does the job.

Item 1 is a split cable that at one end has both a male USB and male 3.5mm plug, at the other end a male 30 pin.
eBay has quite a few of these, $5-$10, search for
Item 2 is a 30 pin to lightning converter (either from Apple or 3rd party)

Works perfectly for audio and charge over a single lightning plug into your phone.

IMG_3946.jpg

PS - I've been unable to find a split cable that has lightning, hence the slight complication with the 30 Pin to lightning adaptor.

Also not sure if links work, however here is a link to an example cable usb/3.5 on eBay - 3ft 30 PIN Dock TO USB AUX 3 5mm Audio Cable FOR Iphone 4s 3GS Ipod Touch 3 4 | eBay

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm also sure that over the next few weeks we'll see quite a few new cables get released by the major bands to address this issue. For me the major one is when I'm on a plane and I'd like to both charge and listen (bluetooth isn't certified for most airlines, so it's not a given that one can use wireless headphones).

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
That's the first thing that came to mind, boy are some people that like to listen to music while the phone charges are going to be pissed. Oh wait, AirPods?! Haha, that's how they get you, but those AirPods definitely look nice, would like to try them out.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I read online that some adapter will be shipping in the box. I assumed this to be the dual purpose adapter capable of charging and listening at the same time. Maybe I am wrong.

Edit: It seems like the legacy headphone adapter for converting 3.5mm jack to lightning, is included in the box.

Last edited:

SL2

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
I can only see two alternatives.

- Third party wireless headsets that can be charged while you use them.

- A port splitter.

Apple doesn't have any of those.

I have a similar concern. I drive a 2008 car, the only way to connect audio is through the Aux (3.5mm) port, and then charge through the 12W (cigarette lighter) port.
Edit: A third alternative for home stereos, cars and wired headsets AND headphones (it got a mic, volume control and answer button), I got mine for $25.
aptX low latency certified, can both send and receive.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-samsung-level-link-wireless-adapter

Last edited:

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
The lightning port is perfectly capable of charging while also sending data/audio...so it's simply a matter of time before someone creates a split component adapter for charging and audio.

SL2

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Using an adapter like that is a big price to pay just to get stereo speakers in the phone itself.

Apple could just have put a lightning port on top of the headset plug and all this would have been a non issue.

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Every night I plug in my iPhone and plug in my headphones. I listen to whatever I listen to and go to sleep. That's gone if I buy a new iPhone. I so want to be an Apple fan. I want to love the iPhone 7. I struggle.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro