Does the iPhone 7 need a new form factor?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
IMO...Apple desperately needs to trim down or do away with the 1"+ bezels above and beneath the screen. I understand that the bottom one is to accomodate the home button, but although the 6s is a great size...the iPhone 6s+ is way too long of a device with the bezels in place. Apple could take one bit of engineering advice from Samsung, and all but do away with the bezels altogether. Heck, the 5"-plus-screened Galaxy s7 is actually the same size as the iPhone 6s! I'd love a 7s Plus model iPhone with a bigger screen in a smaller package. It would be perfect.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
IMO...Apple desperately needs to trim down or do away with the 1"+ bezels above and beneath the screen. I understand that the bottom one is to accomodate the home button, but although the 6s is a great size...the iPhone 6s+ is way too long of a device with the bezels in place. Apple could take one bit of engineering advice from Samsung, and all but do away with the bezels altogether. Heck, the 5"-plus-screened Galaxy s7 is actually the same size as the iPhone 6s! I'd love a 7s Plus model iPhone with a bigger screen in a smaller package. It would be perfect.
I agree. But the front stereo speakers should also be on board

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I'll be honest and say I thought there should have been one, but after more thought on it I figured why not wait for the anniversary iPhone to make a drastic change. History shows that next year should be a 7s in which the form factor would be the same as this year. I think Apple just decided to hold off.

Then I think more about all the people complaining (including me at one point) about the 7 having the same body as the 6/6s and I realized Apple probably changes the form factor on their phones more than a lot of other companies.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have zero issues with the physical design, I have been tickled pink with IOS eversince IOS8, I did have terrible luck with IOS7, and seeing what my iPad Pro can do, I can't wait to see what the 7 will have under the hood.
My phone right now does everything I need it to do.
I suspect the 7 will be faster, smoother, sleeker, more efficient at everything.
And I hear I'll be able to play on it with my Pencil.
It may not be innovation, but it's what it does better than everyone else.

What I don't need is the pi?ata style bells and whistles put out by Samsung every 5 minutes which look great, don't work and brick my device.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree. But the front stereo speakers should also be on board

As long as we're wishing...yeah, front-facing speakers (4- a la iPad Pro) and add another 2000mAh to the battery size while we're at it, Apple!! :laughing:

And, if the battery needed more room...I could handle the device being a little thicker. It doesn't need to be any thinner, IMO.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
As long as we're wishing...yeah, front-facing speakers (4- a la iPad Pro) and add another 2000mAh to the battery size while we're at it, Apple!! :laughing:

And, if the battery needed more room...I could handle the device being a little thicker. It doesn't need to be any thinner, IMO.
Totally agree. Stop the thinness versus more battery life battle.

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Note 7 looks awesome to me as a hardware design. I would love an iPhone that gave me maximum screen size for minimal overall size, like the Note 7. But alas, the iPhone 6 form-factor is just fine for now. It gets the job done with an OS I can use and know will get consistent updates. Works for me.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Note 7 looks awesome to me as a hardware design. I would love an iPhone that gave me maximum screen size for minimal overall size, like the Note 7. But alas, the iPhone 6 form-factor is just fine for now. It gets the job done with an OS I can use and know will get consistent updates. Works for me.
Are you saying you want more of the same? I don't want a 4K screen but I hope that Apple surprises us...