I'm coming back

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
That's your opinion. Which you are most definitely entitled to. But what makes it not real Android?
Skins aren't real Android. They're just not. Especially poorly executed ones. Nexus is real Android. OnePlus's OxygenOS is basically Android. Touchwiz isn't android.

I'm good with the additions that Samsung adds to their phones. If you look at the latest iteration of stock Android, a lot of their features are taken from previous Samsung phones. This is what I like about Android, options. What is Android to one person is not necessarily what it is to another. There's not just that one "this is Android and it is what it is" feeling.
Right, but the Android additions borrowed from Samsung are vastly improved from a usability standpoint by the time they make it into a Nexus device.

iOS is iOS as Apple intended it. True Android is Android as Google intended it. It's really unfortunate Google can't seem to crack the pure Android premium device market while Samsung continues to butcher Android as an OS.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Skins aren't real Android. They're just not. Especially poorly executed ones. Nexus is real Android. OnePlus's OxygenOS is basically Android. Touchwiz isn't android.

Right, but the Android additions borrowed from Samsung are vastly improved from a usability standpoint by the time they make it into a Nexus device.

iOS is iOS as Apple intended it. True Android is Android as Google intended it. It's really unfortunate Google can't seem to crack the pure Android premium device market while Samsung continues to butcher Android as an OS.

And I don't see it as poorly executed. Nor do I see how the only "real" Android is stock Android. One man's trash...

I do agree that it's a shame that stock Android hasn't cracked the mainstream, however.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
My daily driver is an iPhone 6s Plus. I have a note 5 to play with to satisfy my android curiosity. I finally used the N5 the last few days as my daily driver. As much as I love the different features I just can't sacrifice battery life. I'm down to 20% on the Note after a few days of normal use. My iPhone is rarely below 50%. I get it's different but I find the iPhone just uses power so much more efficiently

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
There's a reason why Samsung phones need all that system RAM and processor cores. Because TouchWiz is such a damn resource pig. Every other Android overlay isn't nearly as bloated as TouchWiz is.

4 GB of RAM is the standard for Android now. It has nothing to do with Touchwiz. The one plus 3 has 6 GB.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Having been gone for 3+ years, I'm most looking forward to imessage and flawless texting again. A lot has changed, including third party apps. I'm looking forward to trying gboard since I am a swiping/gesture input guy now.
Anything better than gboard for swiping?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Having been gone for 3+ years, I'm most looking forward to imessage and flawless texting again. A lot has changed, including third party apps. I'm looking forward to trying gboard since I am a swiping/gesture input guy now.
Anything better than gboard for swiping?

SwiftKey is another one. I LOVE swiping, but it just isn't the same on iOS as it is on Android. They don't have the same functionality. And you're still forced to use the Apple keyboard in certain situations. One of my biggest issues with iOS.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
SwiftKey is another one. I LOVE swiping, but it just isn't the same on iOS as it is on Android. They don't have the same functionality. And you're still forced to use the Apple keyboard in certain situations. One of my biggest issues with iOS.
What app can't you use swiping with?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
What app can't you use swiping with?

You can't use it on the lock screen and for inputting passwords. It switches back to the Apple keyboard. It also randomly switches back to the Apple keyboard. And you can't use the dictation microphone with any keyboard other than the Apple keyboard. So if you like to use voice to text, it won't work in third party keyboards.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
You can't use it on the lock screen and for inputting passwords. It switches back to the Apple keyboard. It also randomly switches back to the Apple keyboard. And you can't use the dictation microphone with any keyboard other than the Apple keyboard. So if you like to use voice to text, it won't work in third party keyboards.
Thanks...This is on ios10? Have you played with gboard? It looks interesting, and not on android yet

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. It was on iOS 9 too. But I'm on the iOS 10 beta and it's still this way. I like GBoard a lot. But I just don't like the way third party keyboards are implemented in iOS. Definitely not the same as in Android.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'll tell you the best Android manufacturers, in my humble opinion: Nexus, HTC. Period. Samsung, etc, they all suck because of their Android UI

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I also cancelled my note 7 pre order and I've sent my S7 edge off today to be sold. I'll be sticking with my 6S plus until next week and then I'm going to pre order the iPhone 7. The S7 edge/note 7 are nice phones but they are not iPhones and they don't work with my iPad, Apple Watch, MacBook, and Apple TV.

I also don't trust Samsung in the long term. I've used their phones before and the only way I could use them comfortably was to move onto another device after 6 months. I kept my first Samsung phone the original note for 15 months and it was a laggy, overheating mess.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Not looking to offend people & am sure I will get some heat for this. But not understanding the Samsung hate when Samsung makes parts for Apple phones. Both now & going into the future. The ram comments are off as well as we all know if Apple stacked that much ram into their devices it would be celebrated. There are pros & cons to most any product out there. I still have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that was purchased new June 2012 that is working with no issues. Have used it full time for four + years. Yes it is completely out dated, but still works every single day.

That said, came over here to learn about ios as I need to purchase a phone for someone who is 60+ years old that has not had a smartphone previously. She still has an old slider type phone that is also 4+ years old as well as a daughter who has either a 6 or 6s(she was unsure). I thought it may be nice for her to have the same op system. Have never used nor owned anything Apple personally, but there may be some benefits for them to be on the same op system vs a Galaxy S7 for example. Which is the direction I was headed until she mentioned her daughters phone. So still looking to learn & see what comes Sept 7th.

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Not looking to offend people & am sure I will get some heat for this. But not understanding the Samsung hate when Samsung makes parts for Apple phones. Both now & going into the future. The ram comments are off as well as we all know if Apple stacked that much ram into their devices it would be celebrated. There are pros & cons to most any product out there. I still have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that was purchased new June 2012 that is working with no issues. Have used it full time for four + years. Yes it is completely out dated, but still works every single day.

That said, came over here to learn about ios as I need to purchase a phone for someone who is 60+ years old that has not had a smartphone previously. She still has an old slider type phone that is also 4+ years old as well as a daughter who has either a 6 or 6s(she was unsure). I thought it may be nice for her to have the same op system. Have never used nor owned anything Apple personally, but there may be some benefits for them to be on the same op system vs a Galaxy S7 for example. Which is the direction I was headed until she mentioned her daughters phone. So still looking to learn & see what comes Sept 7th.

People have to argue about something, I guess. I have been guilty of judging Android but it comes down to preference. As for the 60 + year old iPhone would probably be fine. It's easy to use right out of the box. Just depends on what size. Tell them to check out the forums here for help too.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
People have to argue about something, I guess. I have been guilty of judging Android but it comes down to preference. As for the 60 + year old iPhone would probably be fine. It's easy to use right out of the box. Just depends on what size. Tell them to check out the forums here for help too.

Absolutely. It isn't surprising that this forum is biased toward Apple just like it isn't surprising for Android Central to be biased toward Android. When it all boils down both ecosystems have their positives and negatives. I've tinkered with some of the recent Galaxy devices and they are REALLY cool phones. That being said, Apple just works better for my particular use case.

Differing opinions are certainly welcomed here just as long as everyone stays respectful toward each other.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks...This is on ios10? Have you played with gboard? It looks interesting, and not on android yet

Yeah. It was on iOS 9 too. But I'm on the iOS 10 beta and it's still this way. I like GBoard a lot. But I just don't like the way third party keyboards are implemented in iOS. Definitely not the same as in Android.

It does this for security purposes since the third party keyboards can collect the information you type.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It does this for security purposes since the third party keyboards can collect the information you type.

True. But that's still a little too "Big Brother-ish" for me. I've never been worried about that. As long as I opt in, I think Apple should let me use whatever keyboard I want.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW