Anybody else looking at both the iPhone 7 and Galaxy Note 7?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The note 7 in every way shape and forum blows the iPhone away in looks. I mean it's not even close. But if you want to see how your note will be in 6mo to a year, go read some note 4/5 forums. I cancelled my note 7 preorder instantly. I still think this note will be a touch different, but I'm not going to put a thousand bucks on it.

ogl > cal

I had a note 3 for almost 2 years. No issue.

There is no question about the design and the staleness of the iPhones. It looks the same. Unless you get a new color people may assume it's an iPhone 6 from two years ago.

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm going with the iphone 7 because I want to get back in a 2-3 year upgrade pattern after 10 months of switching android phones out to make it work. iOS for me is better because of the ecosystem Apple has built and most everyone I know has an iPhone. The Note 7 is sexy, but all the Androids seem that way to try to compete. But they can't. Apple makes 95% of the profits and has about 20-30% more of the market than Samsung and more than that with all others. Why? Because it works beautifully.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Looks like the Note 7 still lags behind the iPhone 6S in performance tests. :)

This is true in my tests. I held on to my iPhone 6S+ and tested it against even everyday tasks and load times with many of the same apps. More often that not, the iPhone beat my Note 7.

I really love the style and look of the Note 7 but I am really torn. My wife had me return hers this morning and now I am thinking I might be better off doing the same.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
This is true in my tests. I held on to my iPhone 6S+ and tested it against even everyday tasks and load times with many of the same apps. More often that not, the iPhone beat my Note 7.

I really love the style and look of the Note 7 but I am really torn. My wife had me return hers this morning and now I am thinking I might be better off doing the same.
I decided today im returning my note 7. I think im going to preorder the new iPhone and call it a day.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Welp... I came home after returning her Note 7 by dropping it off at UPS. I lasted about an hour before I knew I would hit the mark where I wanted to return and would be past the return. So initiated my return as well. Gonna miss that sexy hardware. The Note 7 is one hell of a looker but damn it I wish there was better system optimization.

dominion1

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Samsung does and always will lag compared to iphone, and stock Android. It's the reason I'll never buy another Samsung. I just don't see the point of all those features if the basic function on the phone is crap. Don't understand the allure.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm indeed interested in getting the next iPhone, but I'm not interested whatsoever in the Galaxy Note 7. In fact, until the iPhone no longer fits my needs, I will pay little to no attention to all other smartphone devices.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, I've posted this over at Android Central too, as I am genuinely interested to see if anybody else is looking at both the Note 7 and iPhone 7 like me.

The Note 7 will be an absolutely brilliant phone I reckon. I am waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out and will probably buy either the iPhone 7 or Note 7 depending on what the final specs and review of the iPhone 7 are. I hope nobody is offended by this post also talking about the Note 7, but I am genuinely looking at both the Note 7 and iPhone 7 as my next phone - the first time ever I have considered both OS at the same time, which says something I think.

This has been my reasoning so far:

Note 7:

Good bits:

* Fairly comprehensive waterproofing - no worries about getting caught in a rainstorm or carrying your phone in a damp, humid pocket whilst you dry out.
* Wireless fast charging - up until now I have thought wireless charging to be a complete waste of time. I have a Galaxy S6 at the moment and a Samsung wireless charging pad for it, and I NEVER use it because it is so slow and unreliable. However, the new wireless chargers with fast charge look a lot better.
* In addition to wireless fast charging, a good battery life! I have an iPhone SE at the moment, and the battery life is just amazing. If the Note 7 is comparable it will be fantastic. My Galaxy S6 battery is dreadful, and now using an iPhone SE has underlined just how incredibly bad it is.
* That screen - probably the best smartphone screen ever. I think the 'edge' screen is a bit of a gimmick, but having said that, the design of the Note 7 and the way it wraps down the sides looks stunning. As long as it doesn't keep getting accidentally activated by your hand...
* 64GB memory plus expansion - at last, Samsung nails it with super-fast memory and expansion by MicroSD
* Camera - an f1.7 lens, 1.4micron pixels and OIS mean a class-leading camera - can the iPhone better it?
* The S-Pen now has 4096 levels of sensitivity! So if you are an artist it should be a real joy to use.
* USB-C connector - at last.
* Colour: That coral blue and the black versions both look stunning IMHO

Bad Bits:

Well, not much but...

* Iris scanner - not necessarily 'bad' but a gimmick to be honest. Could really have done without that, fingerprint is much more useful. There are so many situations where the Iris is going to be a pain.
* Samsung's memory handling - I haven't heard much about the 7 Edge memory management, other than it is an improvement on the S6 (which was basically pretty awful) but still not perfect.
* Touchwhizz - it really is much better now than it was, has some really useful features... but I am a bit bored of it now and it will still probably lag and stutter here and there - if it doesn't it will be the first phone they have ever built which doesn't!
* Not a vast amount different from the S7 Edge - the Note used to be very different from the S series, but this is kinda like just an S7 Edge with a pen (and retina scan, which I can't imagine many people considering as being anything really useful)
* Price - ?750! Crazy expensive!
* No Android Nougat on release. How long will it be before Nougat arrives on it?
* Apparently still a horrendous finger-print magnet

iPHONE 7:

As for the iPhone 7, well, it's all still speculation at the moment isn't it, but potential interesting points will be:

* the camera - in particular the dual lens one; The camera on my iPhone SE is excellent and Apple spend a lot of time getting the camera right on iPhones; so it is possible they will be back on top here, although Samsung's camera is a hard act to beat. Can't wait to see!
* bluetooth taking over audio duties - this can be seen as both an advantage and disadvantage. For me, it's an advantage because I have been bluetooth headphones for over a year now. My Sony SBH80 earbuds are just superb - I'm on my third pair now due to the use and abuse they have had all over the world. Only thing at the moment is that whilst Android supports aptX, Apple doesn't. With the shift toward bluetooth audio, I am hoping Apple either add aptX or do something comparable.
* improved battery life and screen
* Waterproofing perhaps? Be great if it does.
* Force-touch home button perhaps? The whole force-touch screen stuff is a bit gimmicky at the moment, but iOS 10 seems to be putting it to more good use now.
* Of course, the smoothness of iOS is far superior to any version of android I have used (HTC Sense came close though). But Androids ability to drag and drop films and music is better than iOS (although you can add films and songs etc to dropbox and do it that way now on iOS)

The negative will be it just looks like a slightly warmed-over iPhone 6 (if all the leaks are accurate). That's a shame, but not a deal-breaker for me personally as I will be using O2's 30GB tariff and so get a free 12 monthly upgrade.

I have to say I think android now looks like a more mature phone IOS than iOS at the moment, which looks like it's had bits stuck on, which of course, it has. I was surprised how quickly I adapted to iOS again though, the transition was not difficult for me at all (going from iOS to android when I got a Galaxy S3 took months of pain).

I find myself for the first time completely ambivalent over using iOS or Android. Both OS's are very close now in terms of what they offer the user, and I am happy with either, although will make sure both my wife and I have the same phone OS (especially iOS with iMessage and integration with our MacBooks)

Is anyone else feeling like me? !

I preordered a note 7 on my other line. It will probably go back tomorrow. Just doesn't hold my interest. I'll get my upgrade back and get an iPhone 7.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You're free to believe whatever you choose. Have a nice evening.

LOL!!! So you're telling him his experience with his device isn't true?

Oh Lordy....

I've got zero issue with AirDrop. Just used it area family wedding in June. A few family members were trading pics. None of us had an issue.

Guess we were all outliers believing what we wanted to believe.

On the question posed by the OP, no more Samsung or Android for me. After several devices that lag into unusability (just made up a word) I've got no desire to torture myself needlessly.

Staying with iPhone.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The note 7 in every way shape and forum blows the iPhone away in looks. I mean it's not even close. But if you want to see how your note will be in 6mo to a year, go read some note 4/5 forums. I cancelled my note 7 preorder instantly. I still think this note will be a touch different, but I'm not going to put a thousand bucks on it.

ogl > cal

I think you might have saved yourself a headache. #Brickgate.

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-gala...-brick-complaints-start-plague-exynos-2408490

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Some...inexplicably-ours-included.-Brickgate_id84611

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-7/help/note-7-repeated-restart-bootloop-issues-t3444510

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well first my whole family has issues with airdrop. Not one of us could get it to work probably without switching to everyone. Contacts only isn't working, maybe an update messed this up, it use to work fine for me.

Also I've honesty considered the note 7 a lot, it really looks like the total package for a new phone. Hardware wise I think Samsung finally overtook Apple in the looks department, next year I think Apple will have a great new design though.

He only reason I've held off is because i know I will want the new iPhone and don't want both phones and I prefer iOS nowadays too. Also I really like my Apple Watch and have cared too much for android wear so far.

Now I can decide between the iPhone 7 or the 7 plus. I prefer the smaller size but the camera on the 7 plus might make me upgrade to it instead unfortunately. If Apple could shrink the size like the note 7 next year I don't think most will have as many complaints.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy to say that when I dropped Samsung and Android to come back to Apple, it was the best decision ever. I get the glitzy bells and whistles are attractive to some but my history with Samsung has taught me to not repeat mistakes, lol.
Too many "moving parts" in Samsung, the settings have to be watched constantly like a bunch of Vestal Virgins at a pro wrestling match, it's way too unreliable for my stress level.
For me, the biggest thing has to be continuity, though.
I don't see Samsung or Android matching that anytime soon.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR