Rumors for 2k/Quad HD for iPhone 7 plus and 1080p. for

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Whoops. Hit the button too early. Anyway, I have read that there are leaks purporting a 2k/quad had screen for iPhone 7 plus and 1080 p for iPhone 7. That is making me consider upgrading and getting excited about the new phones. Anyone else?

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Would love a 2k display.. but I much prefer 1080p with good battery life

Right. This is significantly more meaningful. If the rumors are true, and the iPhone 7S will be AMOLED, I wouldn't be surprised to see this IFS display as a stopgap.

But you hit the most important point: A 2k display is garbage if it kills your battery.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Right. This is significantly more meaningful. If the rumors are true, and the iPhone 7S will be AMOLED, I wouldn't be surprised to see this IFS display as a stopgap.

But you hit the most important point: A 2k display is garbage if it kills your battery.

I'm happy with a 1080p display with 3000mah++ battery capacity

Especially on an iPhone, it'll last for ages.

ChrisS9938

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Whoops. Hit the button too early. Anyway, I have read that there are leaks purporting a 2k/quad had screen for iPhone 7 plus and 1080 p for iPhone 7. That is making me consider upgrading and getting excited about the new phones. Anyone else?

Yes. The more I hear, the more excited I get. I think because the dummies weren't made of a magnesium/glass/unicorn horn alloy people freaked out. Can't wait to see what they are actually like. Oh yeah, and about black, it makes more of a difference than you know.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

This would be a non-factor if Apple would use battery sizes that are comparable to equally sized flagships on the market.

The iPhone 6S+ is as big as a Galaxy Note 3, but it has a battery smaller than a Galaxy S7. The Galaxy Note 7 has about 600mAh over the 6S+ in battery size, but it's a smaller phone... If the Note 7 was the same size as a Note 3, it would probably have a 4000+ mAh battery at this point. The S7 Edge (which the 6S+ is more applicably comparable to) has a 3600 mAh battery. I think the 6S+ has < 3000 mAh?

If Apple used comparable battery sizes, this would be completely non-factor.

I don't understand why they continue to use these tiny batteries. There is less "stuff" in an iPhone yet they are using the smallest batteries in the industry for phones those sizes. The iPhone 6S battery is barely bigger than that of the first Galaxy S phone that launched in 2010...

The battery life on my 6S+ isn't that great. In standby it's amazing, but once you start using the phone, particularly in places where the screen cannot be kept dim, it dissipates rapidly. The standby times can make up for that with moderate use over the course of a day, but the phone gets destroyed by heavy usage, even in spurts.

The battery on my Note 3 wasn't as good in standby, but the in-use battery life was actually better so it averaged out a bit better than my 6 Plus or 6S Plus, and that was with 2013-era hardware.

I'm sure the AMOLED screen helped, but that's neither here nor there. Bigger batteries are needed in these phones.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The battery life on my 6S+ isn't that great. In standby it's amazing, but once you start using the phone, particularly in places where the screen cannot be kept dim, it dissipates rapidly. The standby times can make up for that with moderate use over the course of a day, but the phone gets destroyed by heavy usage, even in spurts.

The iPhone 6S+ battery is excellent. Day and a half of battery life regardless of usage. Between the Samsung bloat and the Android inefficiencies, it's a miracle the Note gets half the battery the iPhone 6S+.

It's not about battery size. It has never been about battery size. It's about the interaction between software and hardware. Samsung still doesn't get it.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 6S+ battery is excellent. Day and a half of battery life regardless of usage. Between the Samsung bloat and the Android inefficiencies, it's a miracle the Note gets half the battery the iPhone 6S+.

It's not about battery size. It has never been about battery size. It's about the interaction between software and hardware. Samsung still doesn't get it.

It's about battery size.

The Platforms are different. Everyone knows this, but there is only so much you can do with a tiny battery.

I stand by my experience of the phone having great standby but mediocre life during active use. It's where "wall hugger" comes from.

The Note I had was better. The tech was superior for constant use. Smoked Screen, etc.

And why do you sound so angrily defensive?

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
And why do you sound so angrily defensive?

No one is angry, but everyone here knows what Apple does. It has never been about numbers, specs, or battery sizes. If anything, the iPhone 6S+ is physically too large. The bezels are too big.

Apple has no need to settle for admitting failure and throwing in a big honking battery. They either need to work towards installing a denser battery OR continue to make strides in power management in the chipset and the OS layer.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
A denser battery is a bigger battery. We aren't talking about size. We're talking about capacity. You're trying to disagree by agreement.

No specs don't matter to apple because using less hardware means more profit. That's what matters we know this. My point is that the engineering seems rudimentary because other OEMs can produce phones with superior durability at smaller sizes (with larger screens) and more internal components (but larger and denser batteries) when compared to the iPhone.

There is no rational explanation for this except they skimp on it to spend less money making them, so that they can make more money selling them.

And why anyone would argue about this, makes absolutely no sense. Are you an Apple shareholder or something?

I've already basically said the phones were too large. That's inferred when I clearly compare them to smaller phones with bigger screens, more internal components, but larger/denser batteries in a smaller housing.

They don't need to admit failure. They just need to see the plainly obvious disparities that exist. Not sure why you are using language no one has used not insinuated. It's equivalent to putting words in people's mouths. Exaggerating things to make a point doesn't work that well, and is a tactic used to make ones argument look way more logical than it is by appealing to biases that exist in readers.

But nice try there.

Everyone is increasing power efficiency. And when that happens, the disparity in battery size/density becomes an even bigger problem.

In 2012 the iPhones tiny batteries made it look like Apple was performing magic. In 2016, the competition has caught up and it's become a reason to deride the devices.

And the fact that competing platforms can do what they have despite being a lot more open about how things run on the phone is quite impressing on their parts, as well, and speaks to how much they have improved over the years.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. Now who's angrily defensive or maybe just offensive. Save your Android fanboy rant for Android Central.

His argument is okay in the android realm, but in iOS it's a completely different beast. I don't want to gang up on the poor guy or call him names, but his schtick is tired and worn out in the modern phone market.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
This would be a non-factor if Apple would use battery sizes that are comparable to equally sized flagships on the market.

The iPhone 6S+ is as big as a Galaxy Note 3, but it has a battery smaller than a Galaxy S7. The Galaxy Note 7 has about 600mAh over the 6S+ in battery size, but it's a smaller phone... If the Note 7 was the same size as a Note 3, it would probably have a 4000+ mAh battery at this point. The S7 Edge (which the 6S+ is more applicably comparable to) has a 3600 mAh battery. I think the 6S+ has < 3000 mAh?

If Apple used comparable battery sizes, this would be completely non-factor.

I don't understand why they continue to use these tiny batteries. There is less "stuff" in an iPhone yet they are using the smallest batteries in the industry for phones those sizes. The iPhone 6S battery is barely bigger than that of the first Galaxy S phone that launched in 2010...

The battery on my Note 3 wasn't as good in standby, but the in-use battery life was actually better so it averaged out a bit better than my 6 Plus or 6S Plus, and that was with 2013-era hardware.

I'm sure the AMOLED screen helped, but that's neither here nor there. Bigger batteries are needed in these phones.

The iPhone6S+ was introduced in Sept. 2015. The Galaxy S7Edge was introduced 7 months later in March 2016. The iPhone 6S+ is rated at 24 hrs talk time and 80 hrs music playback. The Galaxy S7 Edge is rated at 27 hrs talk time and 74 hr music playback. The iPhone has a smaller battery and gets six more hours of music playback than the Galaxy S7 Edge.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Ratings mean nothing are consistently overestimate as the conditions of testing are.... Not usually realistic.

The S6 still had a much larger battery.

So those dates are worthless to be frank.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Ratings mean nothing are consistently overestimate as the conditions of testing are.... Not usually realistic.

The S6 still had a much larger battery.

So those dates are worthless to be frank.

I use my iPhone for music playback more than anything. So, I appreciate having a more efficient operating system.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
No specs don't matter to apple because using less hardware means more profit.
Everyone seems to hype hardware specs, hell, I do when it comes to desktop and notebook computers. This comes from the ever popular idea in the computing industry that if there's a problem well... let's just throw more hardware at it; that will fix it. Right? Yes... and no. Yes, throwing more hardware at a problem will fix the issue in the short run but in long run what needs to be done is find out why some task needs that hardware.

Have you ever wondered why a lot of Android phones come with quad-core CPUs and gobs of system RAM? It's because it's needed. Android as an OS is a resource pig, it's not been nearly as optimized as iOS is. And the fun doesn't stop there. The OEMs then throw on top their own garbage on top of an already unoptimized OS and you have the makings for a system that needs that kind of hardware. Android is a general purpose OS, it's meant to run on a variety of hardware and do many types of tasks which is great but that has resulted in an OS that's a "one size fits nobody".

Android users used to laugh at iPhones because they didn't have fancy quad-core CPUs and gobs of system RAM yet apps ran just fine on them. Why? Because iOS is highly optimized to run on that hardware. Apple can marry iOS to the hardware in ways no Android OEM can even think about doing. This is the same reason why Samsung SSDs continue to kick the crap out of every one of their competitors in the SSD category. They make the NAND, controller, firmware, and main circuit board. They can marry all of those components together to create an SSD that positively kicks the crap out of their competition.

It's really only recently that Apple has been adding more system RAM and CPU power to their iPhones because people wanted to do more with their devices and that needs more hardware. iOS is still far more optimized and able to better use that hardware than Android can.

And the fact that competing platforms can do what they have despite being a lot more open about how things run on the phone is quite impressing on their parts, as well, and speaks to how much they have improved over the years.
It is interesting that despite the fact that Android devices have all of this massive hardware in it that they still do manage to lag like crap.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder: Please stay on topic and keep the conversation respectful. There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate but trolling will not be tolerated. Thank you.

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
So, anyway back to the original topic. Has anyone seen reports of the boost in resolution since last week? I'm hoping. I went and played with a Note 7 yesterday just to rule it out. Again. Can't do Android. Just don't like it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen