Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nswenso
  • 1 Post By scruffypig
  • 1 Post By Sherry_B
  • 1 Post By metllicamilitia
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    twinlight's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    84 Posts

    Default Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Is the Apple Watch's Crown Dial Coming to the iPhone and iPad?
    Is the Apple Watch's Crown Dial Coming to the iPhone and iPad?

    I remember seeing a video some months ago with this concept and thought it was really cool.

    Now it turns up in a patent application so I hope its true.

    I have thought about it for volume first but now after the rumors of dual camera setup on the Plus I guess this would be great for zooming and snapping photos. Also its a good reason for Apple to sell new cases even though the phones design don't change 😜
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    I do not know if the Digital Crown is coming to the iPhone and iPad? I doubt it, but I cannot say for certain.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Doubtful, at least in the short run.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    twinlight's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    84 Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    For the iPhone 7 it's highly unlikely. But could be something for the future. It would be perfect for photos.

    Maybe it could be for when the phone finally gets rid of the home button and has touchid over the whole display? Just choose your orientation as the Apple Watch?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by twinlight View Post
    For the iPhone 7 it's highly unlikely. But could be something for the future. It would be perfect for photos.

    Maybe it could be for when the phone finally gets rid of the home button and has touchid over the whole display? Just choose your orientation as the Apple Watch?
    Apple is hugely concerned with aesthetics and a Digital Crown on an iPhone looks awkward IMO. I'd love the functionality though!

    Also important to remember is that Apple loves patents. They have thousands of them. Some eventually show their faces to the public but many do not.
  6. #6  
    nswenso's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    161 Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    A Digital Crown on an iPhone would be the most retarded idea ever. It would look horrible, feel horrible, not be compatible with phone cases (think about it) and would be pretty useless in my opinion. Maybe 5 generations ago, not now.

    Please just don't, Apple
    21stNow likes this.
  7. #7  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    610 Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by twinlight View Post
    Is the Apple Watch's Crown Dial Coming to the iPhone and iPad?
    Is the Apple Watch's Crown Dial Coming to the iPhone and iPad?

    I remember seeing a video some months ago with this concept and thought it was really cool.

    Now it turns up in a patent application so I hope its true.

    I have thought about it for volume first but now after the rumors of dual camera setup on the Plus I guess this would be great for zooming and snapping photos. Also its a good reason for Apple to sell new cases even though the phones design don't change
    To be honest, I don't want knobs or buttons jutting out from the sides and edges of my iPhone. It would be something more to break or damage. Leave the current form factor as is.
    Sherry_B likes this.
  8. #8  
    tlo07's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    479 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,494 Global Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Yuck, please no.
  9. #9  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,391 Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    It should be noted that the patent they're discussing in the article was filed before the Apple Watch was introduced to the public.

    One of the replies from PatentlyJack is quite interesting though;

    Patent Figure 2, not shown in the report, shows that the digital crown could be used on an iPhone, iPod or Apple Watch as well. So they weren't hiding anything. Secondly, Apple notes for Fig. 2 that the "Device 200 can be any of mobile telephone 136, digital media player 140, watch 144, or any other wearable and/or electronic device."
    Rob Phillips likes this.
  10. #10  
    chrisforpm's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Knobs seem so 70s/80s
  11. #11  
    cessex's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    62 Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    For a company that is killing the headphone port to add a knob...just no. It won't happen. On a small screen, like the AppleWatch, I get it. There are uses...but on a phone it take it from sleek to gaudy real quick.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by cessex View Post
    For a company that is killing the headphone port to add a knob...just no. It won't happen. On a small screen, like the AppleWatch, I get it. There are uses...but on a phone it take it from sleek to gaudy real quick.
    Agreed. And let's face it, crowns are a natural part of a watch. They have no business on a cell phone.
  13. #13  
    jcstek's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Agreed. And let's face it, crowns are a natural part of a watch. They have no business on a cell phone.
    It would be interesting thought if he home button also acted like a Digital Crown. Like the old scroll wheels on the iPods. You could us it to zoom, select music, all kinds of stuff. That also eliminates and extra hardware jutting out from the phone.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcstek View Post
    It would be interesting thought if he home button also acted like a Digital Crown. Like the old scroll wheels on the iPods. You could us it to zoom, select music, all kinds of stuff. That also eliminates and extra hardware jutting out from the phone.
    Not a bad idea but I'm not sure if twirling my finger around on the home button to zoom in and out is easier than pinching my fingers on the screen.
  15. #15  
    jcstek's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Not a bad idea but I'm not sure if twirling my finger around on the home button to zoom in and out is easier than pinching my fingers on the screen.
    Haha also true. Maybe when they eliminate the home button and it just becomes part of the whole screen?
  16. #16  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,034 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,734 Global Posts

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    No, this wouldn't work. Yeah, you can find uses for it, however it isn't aesthetically pleasing or natural to use on a phone. No worries, the home button isn't going anywhere, it may just not be a physical button anymore.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Watch crown dial for iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    No, this wouldn't work. Yeah, you can find uses for it, however it isn't aesthetically pleasing or natural to use on a phone. No worries, the home button isn't going anywhere, it may just not be a physical button anymore.
    If the rumors of a force touch home button with haptic feedback and no moving parts holds true it's already happening. Eventually it will be built into the display IMO.

Similar Threads

  1. Tim Cook said to be hosting a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton on August 24
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-09-2016, 12:56 PM
  2. can't restore disabled iphone
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2016, 01:54 PM
  3. Best Menu bar widgets for the Mac
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2016, 01:12 PM
  4. Square Enix launches its Apple Watch-exclusive RPG Cosmos Rings
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2016, 10:40 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2016, 10:30 AM

Posting Permissions