Watch crown dial for iPhone?

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Is the Apple Watch's Crown Dial Coming to the iPhone and iPad?

I remember seeing a video some months ago with this concept and thought it was really cool.

Now it turns up in a patent application so I hope its true.

I have thought about it for volume first but now after the rumors of dual camera setup on the Plus I guess this would be great for zooming and snapping photos. Also its a good reason for Apple to sell new cases even though the phones design don't change 😜

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I do not know if the Digital Crown is coming to the iPhone and iPad? I doubt it, but I cannot say for certain.

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site
For the iPhone 7 it's highly unlikely. But could be something for the future. It would be perfect for photos.

Maybe it could be for when the phone finally gets rid of the home button and has touchid over the whole display? Just choose your orientation as the Apple Watch?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
For the iPhone 7 it's highly unlikely. But could be something for the future. It would be perfect for photos.

Maybe it could be for when the phone finally gets rid of the home button and has touchid over the whole display? Just choose your orientation as the Apple Watch?

Apple is hugely concerned with aesthetics and a Digital Crown on an iPhone looks awkward IMO. I'd love the functionality though!

Also important to remember is that Apple loves patents. They have thousands of them. Some eventually show their faces to the public but many do not.

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
A Digital Crown on an iPhone would be the most retarded idea ever. It would look horrible, feel horrible, not be compatible with phone cases (think about it) and would be pretty useless in my opinion. Maybe 5 generations ago, not now.

Please just don't, Apple

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I remember seeing a video some months ago with this concept and thought it was really cool.

Now it turns up in a patent application so I hope its true.

I have thought about it for volume first but now after the rumors of dual camera setup on the Plus I guess this would be great for zooming and snapping photos. Also its a good reason for Apple to sell new cases even though the phones design don't change

To be honest, I don't want knobs or buttons jutting out from the sides and edges of my iPhone. It would be something more to break or damage. Leave the current form factor as is.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It should be noted that the patent they're discussing in the article was filed before the Apple Watch was introduced to the public.

One of the replies from PatentlyJack is quite interesting though;

Patent Figure 2, not shown in the report, shows that the digital crown could be used on an iPhone, iPod or Apple Watch as well. So they weren't hiding anything. Secondly, Apple notes for Fig. 2 that the "Device 200 can be any of mobile telephone 136, digital media player 140, watch 144, or any other wearable and/or electronic device."

cessex

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
For a company that is killing the headphone port to add a knob...just no. It won't happen. On a small screen, like the AppleWatch, I get it. There are uses...but on a phone it take it from sleek to gaudy real quick.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
For a company that is killing the headphone port to add a knob...just no. It won't happen. On a small screen, like the AppleWatch, I get it. There are uses...but on a phone it take it from sleek to gaudy real quick.

Agreed. And let's face it, crowns are a natural part of a watch. They have no business on a cell phone.

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. And let's face it, crowns are a natural part of a watch. They have no business on a cell phone.

It would be interesting thought if he home button also acted like a Digital Crown. Like the old scroll wheels on the iPods. You could us it to zoom, select music, all kinds of stuff. That also eliminates and extra hardware jutting out from the phone.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting thought if he home button also acted like a Digital Crown. Like the old scroll wheels on the iPods. You could us it to zoom, select music, all kinds of stuff. That also eliminates and extra hardware jutting out from the phone.

Not a bad idea but I'm not sure if twirling my finger around on the home button to zoom in and out is easier than pinching my fingers on the screen.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
No, this wouldn't work. Yeah, you can find uses for it, however it isn't aesthetically pleasing or natural to use on a phone. No worries, the home button isn't going anywhere, it may just not be a physical button anymore.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No, this wouldn't work. Yeah, you can find uses for it, however it isn't aesthetically pleasing or natural to use on a phone. No worries, the home button isn't going anywhere, it may just not be a physical button anymore.

If the rumors of a force touch home button with haptic feedback and no moving parts holds true it's already happening. Eventually it will be built into the display IMO.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh