Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 2 Post By melbsteve
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 1 Post By Quis89
  • 1 Post By Quis89
  • 1 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By firstborn80
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,282 Global Posts

Default I think no Headphone Jack because..

I'm assuming they want to charge through the roof for a wireless rechargeable one that Apple will likely sell separately.

Thoughts?

Default Re: I think no Headphone Jack because..

Since the lightning port on the iPad Pro charges the Pencil, is it possible that Apple plans to use the lightning port to charge the earphones as well as play music through it?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,671 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    Since the lightning port on the iPad Pro charges the Pencil, is it possible that Apple plans to use the lightning port to charge the earphones as well as play music through it?

Oooh!! Genius!
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,282 Global Posts

Ya I haven't read much of anything about the iPhone 7, even though I have AppyGeek on my devices.

I just think that at least before they always included the wired headphones but I suspect that will all change and it might make some peeps mad if they charge for the wireless but who knows.
    iMore Intermediate

this. In addition to that I read an article on how wired next-gen lightning earpods (perhaps iPhone8 rather than 7) could boast auto noise cancelling, something you cannot achieve with the old 3.5mm jack. Would be another huge step forward. I welcome that move 100%, makes total sense.
    Just_Me_D and nikkisharif like this.
    iMore Beginner

No we will not get a wireless charging station to put in ceiling.. But we will probably still loose the headphone jack. I welcome it, hate cables and use a bunch of different wireless headphones.

If we are forced to use wireless or lightning phones the will also come down somewhat in price.
    Also believe they will charge from the phone and from lightning. It wouldn't be such a bad idea if macbooks and mec pro had lightning ports so you could use the same wired headphones everywhere.

Would be even better with usb c...
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,282 Global Posts

I can't imagine how much "better" the sound could possibly be from what we have now.

It makes a person wonder at what point can something sound better than the human ear is capable of, or with 4K tv's now....for example.....how much better does it have to be visually before the technology is more advanced than what the human eye is capable of seeing so what is the point then? Bragging rights for that one particular company?

I heard on some radio show once that CD's are so clear for music that if is about on par with what the human ear can use.

So how much more is necessary?
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by melbsteve View Post
    this. In addition to that I read an article on how wired next-gen lightning earpods (perhaps iPhone8 rather than 7) could boast auto noise cancelling, something you cannot achieve with the old 3.5mm jack. Would be another huge step forward. I welcome that move 100%, makes total sense.
    The "Awareness" app and GunSonics! from Essency, is an example of programmable noise isolation for the iPhone that uses the traditional 3.5 mm headphone jack. It is totally achievable. Of course the apps are not compatible with Bluetooth headphones or Lightning port.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 07-13-2016 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Clarity

Unless this leads to higher quality audio I'm not sure I see the point in "charging" headphones that only work in the iPhone.

Personally I'm just not looking forward to the inability to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time without having to purchase extra equipment...

I do this every day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    Unless this leads to higher quality audio I'm not sure I see the point in "charging" headphones that only work in the iPhone.
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean that you won't if the rumors are true and after Apple explains their reasoning at next keynote event.

Personally I'm just not looking forward to the inability to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time without having to purchase extra equipment...

I do this every day at work.
    You're assuming you won't be able to long before the next iPhone is officially introduced.
    scruffypig likes this.

You're assuming you won't be able to long before the next iPhone is officially introduced.
    True. But isn't that all this thread is? Assumptions? I do hope my assumptions are wrong though.
    scruffypig likes this.

True. But isn't that all this thread is? Assumptions? I do hope my assumptions are wrong though.
    I hear you, but even if your assumptions are correct, you'll get by...

I hear you, but even if your assumptions are correct, you'll get by...
    I definitely will. Now whether or not that's is with Apple is a different story, lol. I'm already looking over the fence. That may be a change that will convince me to take a harder look. Especially if Apple provides a BS reason that doesn't offer any obvious advantages. At that point it will result in me paying more to "get by" due to their inconvenience. Doesn't make much sense to me. We all shall see when the Fall rolls around.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    iMore Pro

Of course, the Lightning port is an all digital port, unlike the old 30 pin dock connector, that featured analog audio and video output using the phone's onboard DSP and graphics processor to convert to analog output. Any headphone adapter that uses the Lightning port would need to include it's own DAC, just like Apple's own Lightning port to 30 pin dock adapter does. It is totally possible.

I just thought about the possibility of Apple included the Smart Connector on the new iPhones. I wonder if that could enable some sort of charging ability with a dock. Then you could charge with the smart connector while using the lightening port for your headphones? Probably a long shot. But would be cool.

I just thought about the possibility of Apple included the Smart Connector on the new iPhones. I wonder if that could enable some sort of charging ability with a dock. Then you could charge with the smart connector while using the lightening port for your headphones? Probably a long shot. But would be cool.
    That would be cool!

An add about lightning headphones.... I was listening to a reputable podcast this morning and they were talking about additional functionality that could be brought into lightning headphones. For example, sophisticated, active noise cancellation without having to purchase expensive headphones separately. There are other opportunities in the health sector as well. Who knows whether or not this is the direction Apple is taking but I can see a tremendous amount of value if it is.
    Quis89 likes this.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,282 Global Posts

I guess we will find out soon enough, is it the 16th they introduce the iPhone 7?
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Morgotch View Post
    I guess we will find out soon enough, is it the 16th they introduce the iPhone 7?
    It gets introduced on the 7th at the keynote.
    Ralph Morgotch likes this.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,282 Global Posts

I think this guy is forgetting to mention that Apple is including a headphone adapter so you can still use your wired headphones with your lightning port.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle31767127/