I think no Headphone Jack because..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since the lightning port on the iPad Pro charges the Pencil, is it possible that Apple plans to use the lightning port to charge the earphones as well as play music through it?

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Since the lightning port on the iPad Pro charges the Pencil, is it possible that Apple plans to use the lightning port to charge the earphones as well as play music through it?

Ya I haven't read much of anything about the iPhone 7, even though I have AppyGeek on my devices.

I just think that at least before they always included the wired headphones but I suspect that will all change and it might make some peeps mad if they charge for the wireless but who knows.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

this. In addition to that I read an article on how wired next-gen lightning earpods (perhaps iPhone8 rather than 7) could boast auto noise cancelling, something you cannot achieve with the old 3.5mm jack. Would be another huge step forward. I welcome that move 100%, makes total sense.

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site
No we will not get a wireless charging station to put in ceiling.. But we will probably still loose the headphone jack. I welcome it, hate cables and use a bunch of different wireless headphones.

If we are forced to use wireless or lightning phones the will also come down somewhat in price.
Also believe they will charge from the phone and from lightning. It wouldn't be such a bad idea if macbooks and mec pro had lightning ports so you could use the same wired headphones everywhere.

Would be even better with usb c...

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I can't imagine how much "better" the sound could possibly be from what we have now.

It makes a person wonder at what point can something sound better than the human ear is capable of, or with 4K tv's now....for example.....how much better does it have to be visually before the technology is more advanced than what the human eye is capable of seeing so what is the point then? Bragging rights for that one particular company?

I heard on some radio show once that CD's are so clear for music that if is about on par with what the human ear can use.

So how much more is necessary?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
this. In addition to that I read an article on how wired next-gen lightning earpods (perhaps iPhone8 rather than 7) could boast auto noise cancelling, something you cannot achieve with the old 3.5mm jack. Would be another huge step forward. I welcome that move 100%, makes total sense.

The "Awareness" app and GunSonics! from Essency, is an example of programmable noise isolation for the iPhone that uses the traditional 3.5 mm headphone jack. It is totally achievable. Of course the apps are not compatible with Bluetooth headphones or Lightning port.

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Unless this leads to higher quality audio I'm not sure I see the point in "charging" headphones that only work in the iPhone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm just not looking forward to the inability to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time without having to purchase extra equipment...

I do this every day at work.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless this leads to higher quality audio I'm not sure I see the point in "charging" headphones that only work in the iPhone.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that you won't if the rumors are true and after Apple explains their reasoning at next keynote event.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm just not looking forward to the inability to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time without having to purchase extra equipment...

I do this every day at work.

You're assuming you won't be able to long before the next iPhone is officially introduced.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I hear you, but even if your assumptions are correct, you'll get by...

I definitely will. Now whether or not that's is with Apple is a different story, lol. I'm already looking over the fence. That may be a change that will convince me to take a harder look. Especially if Apple provides a BS reason that doesn't offer any obvious advantages. At that point it will result in me paying more to "get by" due to their inconvenience. Doesn't make much sense to me. We all shall see when the Fall rolls around.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Of course, the Lightning port is an all digital port, unlike the old 30 pin dock connector, that featured analog audio and video output using the phone's onboard DSP and graphics processor to convert to analog output. Any headphone adapter that uses the Lightning port would need to include it's own DAC, just like Apple's own Lightning port to 30 pin dock adapter does. It is totally possible.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I just thought about the possibility of Apple included the Smart Connector on the new iPhones. I wonder if that could enable some sort of charging ability with a dock. Then you could charge with the smart connector while using the lightening port for your headphones? Probably a long shot. But would be cool.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just thought about the possibility of Apple included the Smart Connector on the new iPhones. I wonder if that could enable some sort of charging ability with a dock. Then you could charge with the smart connector while using the lightening port for your headphones? Probably a long shot. But would be cool.

That would be cool!

An add about lightning headphones.... I was listening to a reputable podcast this morning and they were talking about additional functionality that could be brought into lightning headphones. For example, sophisticated, active noise cancellation without having to purchase expensive headphones separately. There are other opportunities in the health sector as well. Who knows whether or not this is the direction Apple is taking but I can see a tremendous amount of value if it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2