Who's upgrading to the iPhone 7?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
OK, no offense to the people who are complaining about how Apple hasn't done anything with the screen but here goes. Here's some questions that I have for those people...

• When you take your phone and move it really close to your face, can you see the pixels?
  • Is the text, regardless of all small it is on the screen, still clean and sharp?
  • No jagged edges?
If you have answered "no" to the first question and "yes" to the last two questions then why are you complaining about the screen? The screen is good enough. The whole Android ecosystem has been pushing the idea that you need to have higher and higher resolution screens and for what? This is what I don't understand. There comes a time where you reach the point of diminishing returns and if you ask me, many Android OEMs have not only reached that point but they blew past it at Warp 9.

You kids and your high resolution screens, my God, I remember CRTs. Hell, I remember monochrome monitors as well. I remember the very first add-on graphics cards, EGA. And you know what? We liked it!

Hey kids...
View attachment 110701

High resolution screens are great and all (I don't doubt it) but if you don't have the GPU power behind them to be able to sustain high enough graphical frame rates, who cares? I certainly don't! If you have been reading some of the stuff regarding the new Galaxy Note 7 many people have had to drop the resolution of the display to 1080p (or worse 720p) just to get acceptable frame rates in games. Hello! That's a problem!

Not only that but many people have been saying that to get any kind of acceptable battery life they need to drop the resolution of the screen as well. Again, that's a problem!

In my opinion I'd like to have a lower resolution screen that's good enough (I find the screen even in the 6 Plus to be good enough) and have acceptably high frame rates. Who cares if the screen is high resolution if it looks like you're watching stop-motion animation on the screen when you're playing games?

Thanks guys for excellent posts. I TOTALLY agree .

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Oh wait... which came first? CGA or EGA? I don't remember, it's been years; decades even. Hell, I remember when the fastest CPU was an 8086 and 8088. That's about as far back as I remember. And hard drives were measured in MBs, yes... MBs! And to buy even 4K of RAM cost your arm and your first born.

But I digress. Again, hey kids... GET OFF MY LAWN!

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Apple will include better screens as battery technology gets better. They aren't going to sacrifice the user experience just to get a slightly sharper picture. Not like the display is horrible by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess Apple could could stretch performance and cripple any significant battery life to have a better display. Samsung has been there and look at the complaints coming in on android forums.

Michael#IM

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Even though it maybe true about not seeing pixels when you kiss your phone, yes the screen is good enough but when you look at a Samsung phone it really is a nicer screen to look at and it just feels more premiumn and the difference is big.If you look at a photo on the screen it actually looks like a photo it's that clear. Camera is better on the Samsungs too. Also they have the same size phone and manage to have a bigger screen! As far as i know a battery on a Samsung lasts longer too, the iPhone 6s battery is absolutely pathetic.

My point is, yeah the iphone is a good phone, no denying that but it's not worth the money Apple ask for them. They should only cost in the same price bracket as S7's when Apple update the hardware better...way overpriced for outdated spec.

I think i'm going to try an Edge or a Note for a year then see what Apple bring out next year. I have a feeling their sales will be down even further this year.

Last edited:

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsung screens are also known to over saturate the colors so as to make things pop out but at the same time it's not natural.

LostMyNarbles

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I am heavily considering it, but will wait until the unveiling and for Google to unveil their new Nexus phones. The decision will be to either get the smaller Nexus or an iPhone 7 depending on the pricing of the Nexus phone and how both phones compare to one another. Going off of rumors I'm not that impressed with the iPhone 7 since it sounds like the only worth wild feature is going to be the waterproofing, but I would like to imagine there will be more surprises at the unveiling.

The Nexus phone interests me, but Google still has some little quirks with Android and since it sounds like the phones are going to be even pricier this year it starts to drift into that "Well why not just get an iPhone" territory. They may surprise me price-wise, but if they are too expensive I'll end up in that mentality and probably get the iPhone 7.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If the rumored photos of the Space Black iPhone 7 are true, my decision to keep my current iPhone might change .....LOL
I've always wanted an all Black iPhone

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I am a serial early iPhone adopter...but I had sworn to some that I wouldn't just be an iSheep and buy a new iPhone that hasn't changed design for almost two years. I said I would keep my perfectly-fine 6s until the "new design" that hopefully will spell the end to the hideously big upper and lower bezels and the long-in-the- tooth home button.

But...I know I'll upgrade to the 7.. .I just can't help it.. :cant-watch:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am a serial early iPhone adopter...but I had sworn to some that I wouldn't just be an iSheep and buy a new iPhone that hasn't changed design for almost two years. I said I would keep my perfectly-fine 6s until the "new design" that hopefully will spell the end to the hideously big upper and lower bezels and the long-in-the- tooth home button.

But...I know I'll upgrade to the 7.. .I just can't help it.. :cant-watch:

I've always stuck to the 2 year Verizon plan. I've been ok with that. My 6s Plus will carry me to September 2017.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Even though it maybe true about not seeing pixels when you kiss your phone, yes the screen is good enough but when you look at a Samsung phone it really is a nicer screen to look at and it just feels more premiumn and the difference is big.If you look at a photo on the screen it actually looks like a photo it's that clear. Camera is better on the Samsungs too. Also they have the same size phone and manage to have a bigger screen! As far as i know a battery on a Samsung lasts longer too, the iPhone 6s battery is absolutely pathetic.

My point is, yeah the iphone is a good phone, no denying that but it's not worth the money Apple ask for them. They should only cost in the same price bracket as S7's when Apple update the hardware better...way overpriced for outdated spec.

I think i'm going to try an Edge or a Note for a year then see what Apple bring out next year. I have a feeling their sales will be down even further this year.

I may be mistaken but the videos I saw on youtube say the battery is horrible on the Note 7 compared to the iPhone 6S plus. I have no issues with my S Plus. The battery just lasts all day. I have hotspot on at work all day, do some pokemon during my lunch break, emails, texts and I get about a full work day of battery.

I'll go back and look at the youtubers that have posted about battery life.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
From what I've been reading you have to tweak quite a bit on the Note 7 to get anywhere close to decent and acceptable battery life. Some users have been saying that they need to kick down the screen's resolution to 1080p and some have even said that they need to go down to as low as 720p to get acceptable battery life.

What's the use in having a device with a 4K screen if you can't enjoy it without killing your battery life in the process? Um... yeah, about that... :rotfl: How's that 4K screen working out for you? Oh, did your battery just die? :rotfl: I'm sorry... on second thought, no I'm not. :rotfl:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...r-the-display-resolution-to-FHD-or-HD_id83817
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-7-power-saving-mode-707558/

Last edited:

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, maybe if you have a nuclear reactor or a Mr. Fusion in your phone you'd be able to have both. But right now? Nope, we're really pushing the limits of battery tech now.

MelCali82

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
OK, no offense to the people who are complaining about how Apple hasn't done anything with the screen but here goes. Here's some questions that I have for those people...

• When you take your phone and move it really close to your face, can you see the pixels?
  • Is the text, regardless of all small it is on the screen, still clean and sharp?
  • No jagged edges?
If you have answered "no" to the first question and "yes" to the last two questions then why are you complaining about the screen? The screen is good enough. The whole Android ecosystem has been pushing the idea that you need to have higher and higher resolution screens and for what? This is what I don't understand. There comes a time where you reach the point of diminishing returns and if you ask me, many Android OEMs have not only reached that point but they blew past it at Warp 9.

You kids and your high resolution screens, my God, I remember CRTs. Hell, I remember monochrome monitors as well. I remember the very first add-on graphics cards, EGA. And you know what? We liked it!

Hey kids...
View attachment 110701

Unless you are currently using a CRT screen, [redacted]. High res screens on these puny displays are amazing to look at. Especially here in the USA. We got so many damn obese fothermuckers eating double cheeseburgers its good to look down at your high res screen once in a while to relieve the strain. And if you do a lot of VR/google cardboard, then a higher res and better quality screen is so much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I really don't care about super high resolution screens. Hell, my computer monitor is still only a 1920x1080 resolution screen and my secondary monitor is only a 1600x900 screen. I don't even have a 4K TV yet and have no interest in getting a 4K TV. Why should I get a 4K TV? So I can see compression macroblocking in super-high resolution? Even the king of HDTV, DirecTV, compresses the crap out of their HDTV feeds to the point where I can see the obvious compression artifacts and macroblocking.

4K, 4K, 4K, I don't care. Come back and wake me up when the codecs get good enough that they don't have to compress the crap out of the HDTV feeds thus turning it into a muddy mess. Most pay-TV providers compress the feeds so heavily I can't even call what they provide HDTV anymore.

Michael#IM

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Rumours seem to be saying the 7 will still only have a 750 res screen LOL. For the first time, unfortunately, i won't be getting a new iPhone this year :-(

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I really don't care about super high resolution screens. Hell, my computer monitor is still only a 1920x1080 resolution screen and my secondary monitor is only a 1600x900 screen. I don't even have a 4K TV yet and have no interest in getting a 4K TV. Why should I get a 4K TV? So I can see compression macroblocking in super-high resolution? Even the king of HDTV, DirecTV, compresses the crap out of their HDTV feeds to the point where I can see the obvious compression artifacts and macroblocking.

4K, 4K, 4K, I don't care. Come back and wake me up when the codecs get good enough that they don't have to compress the crap out of the HDTV feeds thus turning it into a muddy mess. Most pay-TV providers compress the feeds so heavily I can't even call what they provide HDTV anymore.

I dunno, my DTV is sharp/clear. I usually have people over who comment on how good it looks. Maybe we're not videophiles :)

But that's another thread I guess!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro