Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By iOS Gravity
  • 1 Post By Davyo
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question
    iMore Question's Avatar
    Guest

    Default At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Have they said what the resolution will be on the iPhone 7 camera? Are there any other cool feature coming with it?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    There is nothing announced about the iPhone 7 yet. We all have to wait to be sure what the new features will be.

    I'm curious about those features, too.
  3. #3  
    iOS Gravity's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,965 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Just as good as the iPhone 6S if not better.
    Tartarus likes this.
  4. #4  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    468 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by gzharperleuang View Post
    i think it should at least just like 6s plus
    If it's just like the 6S Plus, then it's a no buy for me, because the 6S Plus isn't good enough, IMO.

    Particularly in low light.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    I would expect better low light photography but, as always, Apple does a pretty good job keeping it somewhat a secret.
  6. #6  
    AustinIllini's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the sexy megapixel update will be part of the S release.
  7. #7  
    TripleOne's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,552 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    I'm sure it'll be better, hopefully it is.
  8. #8  
    AustinIllini's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleOne View Post
    I'm sure it'll be better, hopefully it is.
    I would guess that the camera would be tweaked in such a way that the pictures are better, but they may not shoot at more pixels
  9. #9  
    TripleOne's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,552 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
    I would guess that the camera would be tweaked in such a way that the pictures are better, but they may not shoot at more pixels
    I think so too.

    I think Apple will stick with 12MP but with new and updated lens.
  10. #10  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    468 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the sexy megapixel update will be part of the S release.
    Megapixels aren't sexy anymore.

    That's why even Samsung downgraded the resolution of their sensor to 12MP from 16. That race is over, the same way the spec race is pretty much over these days (only fanboys are crying about spec i.e. 6GB RAM or SD821, etc.) in new phones.

    Unless you want a huge camera bump like the Lumia 1020, you're better off keeping the resolution at a respectable level while increasing the pixel sizes for better low light imagers, and then improving the software.

    I don't want a 20MP (or 16, or 18, or whatever) camera on a phone if the pictures are going to be noisy or over-processed.

    It's also about time they allow these cameras to shoot DNG. Sometimes Apple's "watercolor" processing simply doesn't cut it. I'd rather do it myself, if they expect us to replace point and shoots with these phones.

    There are many cheap point and shoots that embarrass the most expensive smartphones on the market these days...

    The smartphones that could compete with them didn't have the ergonomics or form factor for mass consumer market appeal, or run antiquated platforms (Galaxy Zooms, Lumia 1020, Nokia N8, etc.).
  11. #11  
    AustinIllini's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post

    Megapixels aren't sexy anymore.

    That's why even Samsung downgraded the resolution of their sensor to 12MP from 16. That race is over, the same way the spec race is pretty much over these days (only fanboys are crying about spec i.e. 6GB RAM or SD821, etc.) in new phones.

    Unless you want a huge camera bump like the Lumia 1020, you're better off keeping the resolution at a respectable level while increasing the pixel sizes for better low light imagers, and then improving the software.

    I don't want a 20MP (or 16, or 18, or whatever) camera on a phone if the pictures are going to be noisy or over-processed.

    It's also about time they allow these cameras to shoot DNG. Sometimes Apple's "watercolor" processing simply doesn't cut it. I'd rather do it myself, if they expect us to replace point and shoots with these phones.

    There are many cheap point and shoots that embarrass the most expensive smartphones on the market these days...

    The smartphones that could compete with them didn't have the ergonomics or form factor for mass consumer market appeal, or run antiquated platforms (Galaxy Zooms, Lumia 1020, Nokia N8, etc.).
    "Sexy" was meant as sarcasm. No one takes megapixels seriously in the iOS environment. iPhones perform well without them.
  12. #12  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    468 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
    "Sexy" was meant as sarcasm. No one takes megapixels seriously in the iOS environment. iPhones perform well without them.
    Actually, the low light is pretty poor by current standards. And it degraded slightly in the move up to 12 MP cameras. iOS and the iPhone are not exempt from the laws of physics b
  13. #13  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    607 Posts

    Default At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by iMore Question View Post
    Have they said what the resolution will be on the iPhone 7 camera? Are there any other cool feature coming with it?
    Apple hasn't even said there will be an "iPhone 7".
    Last edited by scruffypig; 08-21-2016 at 01:27 PM.
  14. #14  
    Davyo's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    249 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    The ability to do 16:9 still shots would be great to have on an iPhone, every other phone on the planet lets one take widescreen pictures, why can't Apple offer that instead of the current selections of SQUARE and REALLY SQUARE.
    I'm sure the 7 will get the much needed improvement in low light.

    Cheers
    Davyo
    (currently rockin a 6S and an S7)
  15. #15  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    607 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    The ability to do 16:9 still shots would be great to have on an iPhone, every other phone on the planet lets one take widescreen pictures, why can't Apple offer that instead of the current selections of SQUARE and REALLY SQUARE.
    I'm sure the 7 will get the much needed improvement in low light.

    Cheers
    Davyo
    (currently rockin a 6S and an S7)
    I have 3 3rd party camera apps that allow me to do this.
  16. #16  
    Davyo's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    249 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by scruffypig View Post
    I have 3 3rd party camera apps that allow me to do this.
    Which apps do you have that will make the iphone shoot in widescreen ?

    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Davyo
  17. #17  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    607 Posts

    Default At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    Which apps do you have that will make the iphone shoot in widescreen ?

    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Davyo
    ProCamera, Slow Shutter, Pro Shot, these are just a few that allow for custom camera aspect ratio. For video, I use Filmic Pro.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 08-22-2016 at 03:41 PM.
  18. #18  
    Davyo's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    249 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by scruffypig View Post
    ProCamera, Slow Shutter, Pro Shot, these are just a few that allow for custom camera aspect ratio. For video, I use Filmic Pro.
    Thanks, I'll check out those apps when I get the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus (I literally just got rid of my 6S in preparation to buy the 7),, actually I guess I could check out those apps on my iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro before the 7 gets released.
    The only phone I have at the moment is my Galaxy S7.

    Cheer
    Davyo
  19. #19  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    607 Posts

    Default At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    Thanks, I'll check out those apps when I get the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus (I literally just got rid of my 6S in preparation to buy the 7),, actually I guess I could check out those apps on my iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro before the 7 gets released.
    The only phone I have at the moment is my Galaxy S7.

    Cheer
    Davyo
    Not sure if any of those apps are even available for the iPad, since you asked about the iPhone and i only use them on my iPhone.

    I just checked and ProCamera has the ProCamera HD app for iPad. Pro Shot is available for iPhone.
  20. #20  
    Davyo's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    249 Posts

    Default Re: At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by scruffypig View Post
    Not sure if any of those apps are even available for the iPad, since you asked about the iPhone and i only use them on my iPhone.

    I just checked and ProCamera has the ProCamera HD app for iPad. Pro Shot is available for iPhone.
    Coolness,,, thank you for your help, very much appreciated.

    Cheers
    Davyo
    scruffypig likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. How large will the screen likely be on the iPhone 7?
    By iMore Question in forum iPhone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-17-2016, 10:09 PM
  2. What will the zoom be like on the iPhone 7?
    By iMore Question in forum iPhone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 03:37 PM
  3. With 3D Touch on the iPhone 7 is the home button going away?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 03:30 PM
  4. Enpass for iPhone and iPad gets redesigned sidebar, watchOS 2 support
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 02:40 PM
  5. Best Chromecast apps for iPhone and iPad
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions