At what resolution will the iPhone 7 camera shoot?

I

iMore Question

Have they said what the resolution will be on the iPhone 7 camera? Are there any other cool feature coming with it?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing announced about the iPhone 7 yet. We all have to wait to be sure what the new features will be.

I'm curious about those features, too.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I would expect better low light photography but, as always, Apple does a pretty good job keeping it somewhat a secret.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the sexy megapixel update will be part of the S release.

Megapixels aren't sexy anymore.

That's why even Samsung downgraded the resolution of their sensor to 12MP from 16. That race is over, the same way the spec race is pretty much over these days (only fanboys are crying about spec i.e. 6GB RAM or SD821, etc.) in new phones.

Unless you want a huge camera bump like the Lumia 1020, you're better off keeping the resolution at a respectable level while increasing the pixel sizes for better low light imagers, and then improving the software.

I don't want a 20MP (or 16, or 18, or whatever) camera on a phone if the pictures are going to be noisy or over-processed.

It's also about time they allow these cameras to shoot DNG. Sometimes Apple's "watercolor" processing simply doesn't cut it. I'd rather do it myself, if they expect us to replace point and shoots with these phones.

There are many cheap point and shoots that embarrass the most expensive smartphones on the market these days...

The smartphones that could compete with them didn't have the ergonomics or form factor for mass consumer market appeal, or run antiquated platforms (Galaxy Zooms, Lumia 1020, Nokia N8, etc.).

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Megapixels aren't sexy anymore.

That's why even Samsung downgraded the resolution of their sensor to 12MP from 16. That race is over, the same way the spec race is pretty much over these days (only fanboys are crying about spec i.e. 6GB RAM or SD821, etc.) in new phones.

Unless you want a huge camera bump like the Lumia 1020, you're better off keeping the resolution at a respectable level while increasing the pixel sizes for better low light imagers, and then improving the software.

I don't want a 20MP (or 16, or 18, or whatever) camera on a phone if the pictures are going to be noisy or over-processed.

It's also about time they allow these cameras to shoot DNG. Sometimes Apple's "watercolor" processing simply doesn't cut it. I'd rather do it myself, if they expect us to replace point and shoots with these phones.

There are many cheap point and shoots that embarrass the most expensive smartphones on the market these days...

The smartphones that could compete with them didn't have the ergonomics or form factor for mass consumer market appeal, or run antiquated platforms (Galaxy Zooms, Lumia 1020, Nokia N8, etc.).

"Sexy" was meant as sarcasm. No one takes megapixels seriously in the iOS environment. iPhones perform well without them.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
"Sexy" was meant as sarcasm. No one takes megapixels seriously in the iOS environment. iPhones perform well without them.

Actually, the low light is pretty poor by current standards. And it degraded slightly in the move up to 12 MP cameras. iOS and the iPhone are not exempt from the laws of physics b

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The ability to do 16:9 still shots would be great to have on an iPhone, every other phone on the planet lets one take widescreen pictures, why can't Apple offer that instead of the current selections of SQUARE and REALLY SQUARE.
I'm sure the 7 will get the much needed improvement in low light.

Cheers
Davyo
(currently rockin a 6S and an S7)

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
The ability to do 16:9 still shots would be great to have on an iPhone, every other phone on the planet lets one take widescreen pictures, why can't Apple offer that instead of the current selections of SQUARE and REALLY SQUARE.
I'm sure the 7 will get the much needed improvement in low light.

Cheers
Davyo
(currently rockin a 6S and an S7)

I have 3 3rd party camera apps that allow me to do this.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Which apps do you have that will make the iphone shoot in widescreen ?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Davyo

ProCamera, Slow Shutter, Pro Shot, these are just a few that allow for custom camera aspect ratio. For video, I use Filmic Pro.

Last edited:

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
ProCamera, Slow Shutter, Pro Shot, these are just a few that allow for custom camera aspect ratio. For video, I use Filmic Pro.

Thanks, I'll check out those apps when I get the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus (I literally just got rid of my 6S in preparation to buy the 7),, actually I guess I could check out those apps on my iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro before the 7 gets released.
The only phone I have at the moment is my Galaxy S7.

Cheer
Davyo

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll check out those apps when I get the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus (I literally just got rid of my 6S in preparation to buy the 7),, actually I guess I could check out those apps on my iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro before the 7 gets released.
The only phone I have at the moment is my Galaxy S7.

Cheer
Davyo

Not sure if any of those apps are even available for the iPad, since you asked about the iPhone and i only use them on my iPhone.

I just checked and ProCamera has the ProCamera HD app for iPad. Pro Shot is available for iPhone.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if any of those apps are even available for the iPad, since you asked about the iPhone and i only use them on my iPhone.

I just checked and ProCamera has the ProCamera HD app for iPad. Pro Shot is available for iPhone.

Coolness,,, thank you for your help, very much appreciated.

Cheers
Davyo