Will there be a 16GB iPhone 7?

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
So many people say 16gb isn't enough and that's just not true for everyone. I recently bought my wife a 16gb SE. Her previous 5s was also 16gb and she never came close to the limit. For the basic user that simply calls, texts, browses, emails and takes a few photos, 16gb is still plenty. Not everyone fills their phones with apps, music and videos.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So many people say 16gb isn't enough and that's just not true for everyone. I recently bought my wife a 16gb SE. Her previous 5s was also 16gb and she never came close to the limit. For the basic user that simply calls, texts, browses, emails and takes a few photos, 16gb is still plenty. Not everyone fills their phones with apps, music and videos.

That is true but I think that the number of users who can get away with 16 GB is very quickly shrinking. If I gave my grandmother a 16 GB iPhone she'd be fine; most people wouldn't. Three years ago 16 GB would have sufficed for almost everyone.
So when we have people who come on here asking if a 16 GB iPhone is enough, we play the odds and tell them that it isn't for many users. Until you know your specific use case it's hard to make that determination. Even "basic" users often come back on here and tell us that they're glad they went with a larger capacity iPhone.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That is true but I think that the number of users who can get away with 16 GB is very quickly shrinking. If I gave my grandmother a 16 GB iPhone she'd be fine; most people wouldn't. Three years ago 16 GB would have sufficed for almost everyone.
So when we have people who come on here asking if a 16 GB iPhone is enough, we play the odds and tell them that it isn't for many users. Until you know your specific use case it's hard to make that determination. Even "basic" users often come back on here and tell us that they're glad they went with a larger capacity iPhone.

Just look at the upward trend over the years for the base model. 4 then 8 then 16. Now time for 32.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I heard a rumor that when the iPhone 7 comes out, it will not have a 16GB option available? Is this true?

Nothing official from Apple yet, but i would say there is north of 80% chance the base storage would be 32GB especially when the device costs $600 +

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It does look as though 32 gb will be the new start point. And while MOST users would still choose the 16 gb, the larger 32 gb capacity will be well served. But you can bet Apple is not doing it for the users benefit. Apple is doing it for Apple.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
But you can bet Apple is not doing it for the users benefit. Apple is doing it for Apple.

Yes, but it's mutually beneficial. If it didn't benefit customers there wouldn't be a demand for larger capacity. There's no such thing as a selfless for-profit company.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but it's mutually beneficial. If it didn't benefit customers there wouldn't be a demand for larger capacity. There's no such thing as a selfless for-profit company.

True, but their main consideration is Apple. Not the user. That's my point. If they do up it to 32, it won't be because of user demand.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. And my 32gb iPhone 5. Then my 64gb iPhone 6s. Looking at 128gb next.

I have a128 GB 6unlocked. Can never go back down. I'm screwed. Lol

I have about 40 GB remaining on a 128 GB 6s Plus. Depending on how pricing works out I may jump to 256 GB either in the fall or in 2017. That is, of course, if the rumors hold true that we'll see a 256 GB model.

ChrisS9938

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I agree. It's long past time we had a memory card option. It'll only attract new users. The people who want big memory will get it anyhow. The people who want super cheap will get it. And those in the middle can buy a smaller memory phone and upgrade later. I wouldn't even consider a 16gb phone any more. My 16gb 4s ran out of space even with the smaller operating system. I went 64 on my 6 and haven't regretted it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree. It's long past time we had a memory card option. It'll only attract new users. The people who want big memory will get it anyhow. The people who want super cheap will get it. And those in the middle can buy a smaller memory phone and upgrade later. I wouldn't even consider a 16gb phone any more. My 16gb 4s ran out of space even with the smaller operating system. I went 64 on my 6 and haven't regretted it.

Memory cards are actually on their way out on Android phones. It's highly doubtful Apple will ever use them on the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro