Please Apple,step it up.

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
I partially agree. iOS has actually taken a step back from a dependability standpoint and its services leave much to be desired (especially Apple Music, which will reportedly have a refresh announced at WWDC). That said, iOS and OS X are still the highest quality operating systems in the business. Windows Mobile is on its way out; it's currently holding less than 2% of the market.

Close to less than 1% now. Its a shame too, it could be SOOOO much better than android. The hardware they had, NOKIA/Microsoft devices were top notch, etc. But Satya, Has no wanting to push it. All of the Microsoft execs use iphones. That's like the ceo of bmw driving a Mercedes. Don't make sense.

I am hopfull I can get used to ios again. my last iPhone was the 4. I swore I would never own another, oh well. The only phone that gets you ALL the apps that are available. plus all the wearables....and everything actually works. Android is terrible mess and I cannot stand even picking up an android phone. So Apple it is!

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've owned every model iPhone made along with every Galaxy and Note model ever made and that includes the S7 and S7 Edge.
I'm currently rockin a 6S (but I've also owned a 6, 6 Plus and 6S Plus) I'm a bit of a phone junkie.
Anyhow my 2 cents, its so sad to see Apple always trailing Samsung and it's such an absolute joke to watch the iPhone announcements every September acting like their bringing something great to the iPhone that has already been on Samsung phones for 1 to 3 years prior.
And the whole 16gb thing speaks volumes to what Apple cares about,,, my personal list of Apple screw ups is endless.
Thank you Samsung for basically forcing Apple to give us bigger screens and many other things.
Why do I have an iPhone 6S you might wonder, well I'm a pro musician and mating up my iPhone with my 13" iPad Pro and Air 2 is essential for all the music applications I need to use and share between devices.
I fail to understand why Apple is so slow to bring AMOLED screens ?
Are the giant huge bezels really that hard to trim down ?
Why not a camera as good as the S7 and S7 Edge or last years Galaxy's or Note 5 ?
And with all the leaks on the iPhone 7 Plus it would seem the sooner to be released new Galaxy Note will destroy the 7 Plus before it's even released.
Perhaps instead of working on tiny incremental improvements for each new iPhone, Apple might be better served if they work on bringing Steve Jobs back to life.
Cheers
Davyo

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a Galaxy S7 Edge to go with my 6S+. All I can say is the Galaxy is so far superior on the hardware side Apple should legit be embarrassed. It's over an ounce lighter, sports a much more manageable foot print, houses a bigger battery and has the same size screen (technically). I am really impressed. Apple has always created beautiful products, functional products. The iPhone has now been officially lapped.

If I could only put IOS on the GS7 Edge. I can't even imagine.

Please Apple, don't just go thinner and lighter. Set the bar once again.

except, its battery life can't even come near the iPhone's despite their smaller in specs mAH. iOS battery management is way better. I am no Apple Fanboy, currently rocking an HTC 10 but I will go back to my iPhone SE as I can get 3 days of usage on the iPhone SE with its small battery with my light usage while being on low power mode. I had a Galaxy S7 for a week and sold it as I had to charge the darn thing 3 times a day even though it has a 3000 mAH battery. Yes I did put all apps on doze but its standby time sucks. It's not always about specs on paper.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Close to less than 1% now. Its a shame too, it could be SOOOO much better than android. The hardware they had, NOKIA/Microsoft devices were top notch, etc. But Satya, Has no wanting to push it. All of the Microsoft execs use iphones. That's like the ceo of bmw driving a Mercedes. Don't make sense.

I am hopfull I can get used to ios again. my last iPhone was the 4. I swore I would never own another, oh well. The only phone that gets you ALL the apps that are available. plus all the wearables....and everything actually works. Android is terrible mess and I cannot stand even picking up an android phone. So Apple it is!

My Windows phone isn't that great of quality. I destroyed my first one trying to insert my SIM card. A SIM tray is such a hard thing to design? Plus, having to take apart my phone and remove the battery, just to replace the SIM card or SD card is really sucky.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I've owned every model iPhone made along with every Galaxy and Note model ever made and that includes the S7 and S7 Edge.
I'm currently rockin a 6S (but I've also owned a 6, 6 Plus and 6S Plus) I'm a bit of a phone junkie.
Anyhow my 2 cents, its so sad to see Apple always trailing Samsung and it's such an absolute joke to watch the iPhone announcements every September acting like their bringing something great to the iPhone that has already been on Samsung phones for 1 to 3 years prior.
And the whole 16gb thing speaks volumes to what Apple cares about,,, my personal list of Apple screw ups is endless.
Thank you Samsung for basically forcing Apple to give us bigger screens and many other things.
Why do I have an iPhone 6S you might wonder, well I'm a pro musician and mating up my iPhone with my 13" iPad Pro and Air 2 is essential for all the music applications I need to use and share between devices.
I fail to understand why Apple is so slow to bring AMOLED screens ?
Are the giant huge bezels really that hard to trim down ?
Why not a camera as good as the S7 and S7 Edge or last years Galaxy's or Note 5 ?
And with all the leaks on the iPhone 7 Plus it would seem the sooner to be released new Galaxy Note will destroy the 7 Plus before it's even released.
Perhaps instead of working on tiny incremental improvements for each new iPhone, Apple might be better served if they work on bringing Steve Jobs back to life.
Cheers
Davyo

AMOLED screens don't hold up with constant use and will fade over time. They are also more subject to screen burn in than LCD screens that Apple uses in the iPhone. I would take an Retina LCD screen with an iPhone over a whatever resolution AMOLED any day. I have over 20/20 vision with close up work and I think the Retina display is just fine with no need for higher resolution. Higher resolution just eats more battery.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
AMOLED screens don't hold up with constant use and will fade over time. They are also more subject to screen burn in than LCD screens that Apple uses in the iPhone. I would take an Retina LCD screen with an iPhone over a whatever resolution AMOLED any day. I have over 20/20 vision with close up work and I think the Retina display is just fine with no need for higher resolution. Higher resolution just eats more battery.

I tend to agree with you. In addition to the 'cons' you mention, while AMOLED has higher contrast than LCD, the very low black level is not that relevant for a mobile device which is typically used in a relatively bright environment, and the lower overall brightness is actually a disadvantage. I wouldn't personally be put off buying a phone with an AMOLED screen if it was otherwise attractive, but I also wouldn't see it as an advantage.

Also agree with you about resolution. Resolution beyond what the eye can distinguish is a waste of money and power.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I tend to agree with you. In addition to the 'cons' you mention, while AMOLED has higher contrast than LCD, the very low black level is not that relevant for a mobile device which is typically used in a relatively bright environment, and the lower overall brightness is actually a disadvantage. I wouldn't personally be put off buying a phone with an AMOLED screen if it was otherwise attractive, but I also wouldn't see it as an advantage.

Also agree with you about resolution. Resolution beyond what the eye can distinguish is a waste of money and power.

I forgot to mention consistency in color accuracy. The LCD screens Apple uses in their iOS devices are quite consistant with color quality and accuracy. I use my iPad as a second monitor to proof photos. AMOLED screens tend to vary wildly in accuracy.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Have the s7e and can't tell the difference between iPhone 6 screen and this except the color difference.
Waiting for the 7 already to come back. The grass wasn't greener on the other side after all.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Every time Samsung comes out with a new device especially the Galaxy and Note Series, there's this WOW feeling that comes over me, so much that twice I acted on this feeling. I went and purchased a SG3 and a Note3, and after approx 30 days when the WOW feeling wore off and reality sets in and I'm looking on my nightstand where those two devices ended up I've realized that the bells and whistles are just not for ME.
I do like the customization that Androids bring to the table, but I'm not willing to sacrifice that for the performance that Apple brings to the table. One day I might return to an Android phone, but not today.
The S7/S7 Edge does indeed look GOOD though.

U R talking 3yrs difference. The SGS7 is a fantastic device. The OS isn't the same as 3-4 yrs ago. Big changes, zero lag, it's just a great phone. I have the S7 along with the iPhone 6S and iPad mini 3. Have several Android devices, I'm always changing my SIM card, just a tech nut. There is so much more U can do with the Android OS. Hopefully IOS will relax and loosen up.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
U R talking 3yrs difference. The SGS7 is a fantastic device. The OS isn't the same as 3-4 yrs ago. Big changes, zero lag, it's just a great phone. I have the S7 along with the iPhone 6S and iPad mini 3. Have several Android devices, I'm always changing my SIM card, just a tech nut. There is so much more U can do with the Android OS. Hopefully IOS will relax and loosen up.

You are correct, my experience with Android (Samsung) was three years ago and I'm sure Samsung devices have gotten better over the years as with most devices.

ChrisS9938

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
BlackBerry thought their fans would never leave too. Until they were almost out of business. They rode that belief to the bitter end. I left BB and was wooed by the then-new 4g experience on the LG Revolution, only to be burned when LG refused to update the phone while my wife's iPhone got every new version of IOS. I got an iPhone 4s followed by my current 6. Apple was stable plus competitive. But the big 4 Android makers have settled and will largely support their premium lines, and those lines are starting to offer features that honestly embarrass Apple. No shatterproof screen? No waterproof? No wireless charging? A few years ago, Apple would be inventing these technologies, now they can't seem to catch up. I can use Android, but I prefer iOS. But I won't turn around in a year or so and pay for my 6 with nicer internals. It's got to be more than that.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully iOS will relax and loosen up.
It's already loosened up by a HUGE amount. Years ago we never imagined that iOS would ever lets apps talk to other apps and that Safari would allow for plugins, today we have that. Password managers can link directly into Safari and fill in our login details. Adblockers can be added to Safari to block the crap that many of today's web pages are filled with thus saving us mobile data. Apps can transfer data between themselves in a safe and secure manner.

iOS 8 and 9 is not your father's iOS man, iOS has evolved; it's far more open than it was years ago.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm not denying that Android is more open and that it does allow for the user to change a lot of stuff but outside a small circle of geeks, most people don't change a thing about their Android phones. Geeks like to say that on Android you can change your launcher, your default web browser, email client, text messaging app, image/photo viewer, music player, camera, phone app, calendar, and everything else under the sun. But let me tell you something... 99% of users that aren't geeks don't change a thing about their Android phones, heck... most people don't even change their ring tone for God's sake. Do you have any idea how many people still have the default T-Mobile ring tone? Yeah... lots of people.

For those people who really couldn't care one bit about how their phones work and just want it work, an iPhone is the best choice. It gives that category of users everything that they could ever need right out of the box with little to no tweaking or adding of things. If there is one thing that Apple excels at more than anyone else in the industry, it is ease of use. Everything a normal person could ever want is already on an iPhone ready to be used the moment they pick it up.

And the best part is, the device is supported. If you have a problem or a question and you don't know the answer and you would rather talk to someone and not just a faceless user on a forum, you can call Apple or walk into any Apple Store and talk to a Genius Bar person and they can walk you through on how to do something. There's no safety net for Android users and their devices.

And best of all, every iPhone no matter where you are in the world, no matter the carrier, it gets iOS updates the same day that everyone across the world gets it. If you ask me, that's a big huge plus in my book. Android is an absolute mess when it comes to software updates.

For geeks, yes, Android may very well be a better platform but for the vast majority of people who just want it to work... Apple is best. There's no arguing this.

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
The hardware is awesome of the Sammies. However they run Android, which is why Apple gets away with not upgrading the hardware. Plus, Android phones are a lot of flash and gimmick, not much substance other than the camera.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Android phones are a lot of flash and gimmick, not much substance other than the camera.
The Android ecosystem is so crowded that they practically have to shove every feature under the sun just to try and differentiate themselves from one another. Every couple of months a new device comes out and they shove new features into it just to say that they have something new to sell and to club their competition over the head.

Samsung: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. HTC and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
A few months later...
LG: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. Samsung and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
A few months later...
HTC: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. Samsung and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
A few months later... and the cycle starts all over again.

If you ask me... that's not how you run an industry. Basically, the Android ecosystem has come down to one thing... What can we put into our new device to clobber our competition over the head with? What can we do to make our competition look bad? If you ask me, that's not innovation; that's pure stupidity.

The new Samsung Note 7 has a retina scanner. So? 99% of users aren't ever going to use it. Just another example of a product feature to use to clobber their competition over the head with.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Have the s7e and can't tell the difference between iPhone 6 screen and this except the color difference.
Waiting for the 7 already to come back. The grass wasn't greener on the other side after all.

Android is such a mess to me. I am glad I jumped off that ship earlier this year.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Hopefully it won't. I want nothing like android which is way too open and it doesn't feel solid but like just a bunch of random ideas made up into one product. I find it quite a mess and I hope Apple doesn't go that route.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
The Android ecosystem is so crowded that they practically have to shove every feature under the sun just to try and differentiate themselves from one another. Every couple of months a new device comes out and they shove new features into it just to say that they have something new to sell and to club their competition over the head.

Samsung: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. HTC and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
A few months later...
LG: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. Samsung and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
A few months later...
HTC: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. Samsung and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
A few months later... and the cycle starts all over again.

If you ask me... that's not how you run an industry. Basically, the Android ecosystem has come down to one thing... What can we put into our new device to clobber our competition over the head with? What can we do to make our competition look bad? If you ask me, that's not innovation; that's pure stupidity.

The new Samsung Note 7 has a retina scanner. So? 99% of users aren't ever going to use it. Just another example of a product feature to use to clobber their competition over the head with.

The competition on the Android side has helped create the hardware you are seeing today. These companies you list, they are INNOVATING. Sure, not every idea will pan out and as a smart consumer you need to know which are legit and which aren't, but at least it's innovating. Apples hardware, if all the rumors are true, will be three years without a significant upgrade. That's horrible.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
What the Android OEMs are doing is akin to throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks. That's not innovation, that's stupidity.

You and I have a very different idea about what innovation is. Making something that only a small minority of people are going to use is a waste of development money.