Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Default Re: Please Apple,step it up.

Quote Originally Posted by fightcrazy View Post
    U R talking 3yrs difference. The SGS7 is a fantastic device. The OS isn't the same as 3-4 yrs ago. Big changes, zero lag, it's just a great phone. I have the S7 along with the iPhone 6S and iPad mini 3. Have several Android devices, I'm always changing my SIM card, just a tech nut. There is so much more U can do with the Android OS. Hopefully IOS will relax and loosen up.
    You are correct, my experience with Android (Samsung) was three years ago and I'm sure Samsung devices have gotten better over the years as with most devices.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

BlackBerry thought their fans would never leave too. Until they were almost out of business. They rode that belief to the bitter end. I left BB and was wooed by the then-new 4g experience on the LG Revolution, only to be burned when LG refused to update the phone while my wife's iPhone got every new version of IOS. I got an iPhone 4s followed by my current 6. Apple was stable plus competitive. But the big 4 Android makers have settled and will largely support their premium lines, and those lines are starting to offer features that honestly embarrass Apple. No shatterproof screen? No waterproof? No wireless charging? A few years ago, Apple would be inventing these technologies, now they can't seem to catch up. I can use Android, but I prefer iOS. But I won't turn around in a year or so and pay for my 6 with nicer internals. It's got to be more than that.
    Connert likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Hopefully iOS will relax and loosen up.
    It's already loosened up by a HUGE amount. Years ago we never imagined that iOS would ever lets apps talk to other apps and that Safari would allow for plugins, today we have that. Password managers can link directly into Safari and fill in our login details. Adblockers can be added to Safari to block the crap that many of today's web pages are filled with thus saving us mobile data. Apps can transfer data between themselves in a safe and secure manner.

iOS 8 and 9 is not your father's iOS man, iOS has evolved; it's far more open than it was years ago.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

I'm not denying that Android is more open and that it does allow for the user to change a lot of stuff but outside a small circle of geeks, most people don't change a thing about their Android phones. Geeks like to say that on Android you can change your launcher, your default web browser, email client, text messaging app, image/photo viewer, music player, camera, phone app, calendar, and everything else under the sun. But let me tell you something... 99% of users that aren't geeks don't change a thing about their Android phones, heck... most people don't even change their ring tone for God's sake. Do you have any idea how many people still have the default T-Mobile ring tone? Yeah... lots of people.

For those people who really couldn't care one bit about how their phones work and just want it work, an iPhone is the best choice. It gives that category of users everything that they could ever need right out of the box with little to no tweaking or adding of things. If there is one thing that Apple excels at more than anyone else in the industry, it is ease of use. Everything a normal person could ever want is already on an iPhone ready to be used the moment they pick it up.

And the best part is, the device is supported. If you have a problem or a question and you don't know the answer and you would rather talk to someone and not just a faceless user on a forum, you can call Apple or walk into any Apple Store and talk to a Genius Bar person and they can walk you through on how to do something. There's no safety net for Android users and their devices.

And best of all, every iPhone no matter where you are in the world, no matter the carrier, it gets iOS updates the same day that everyone across the world gets it. If you ask me, that's a big huge plus in my book. Android is an absolute mess when it comes to software updates.

For geeks, yes, Android may very well be a better platform but for the vast majority of people who just want it to work... Apple is best. There's no arguing this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

The hardware is awesome of the Sammies. However they run Android, which is why Apple gets away with not upgrading the hardware. Plus, Android phones are a lot of flash and gimmick, not much substance other than the camera.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seeyaiphone71 View Post
    Android phones are a lot of flash and gimmick, not much substance other than the camera.
    The Android ecosystem is so crowded that they practically have to shove every feature under the sun just to try and differentiate themselves from one another. Every couple of months a new device comes out and they shove new features into it just to say that they have something new to sell and to club their competition over the head.

Samsung: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. HTC and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
    A few months later...
    LG: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. Samsung and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
    A few months later...
    HTC: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. Samsung and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
    A few months later... and the cycle starts all over again.

If you ask me... that's not how you run an industry. Basically, the Android ecosystem has come down to one thing... What can we put into our new device to clobber our competition over the head with? What can we do to make our competition look bad? If you ask me, that's not innovation; that's pure stupidity.

The new Samsung Note 7 has a retina scanner. So? 99% of users aren't ever going to use it. Just another example of a product feature to use to clobber their competition over the head with.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts

Default Please Apple,step it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Truman82 View Post
    Have the s7e and can't tell the difference between iPhone 6 screen and this except the color difference.
    Waiting for the 7 already to come back. The grass wasn't greener on the other side after all.
    Android is such a mess to me. I am glad I jumped off that ship earlier this year.
    Truman82 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts

U R talking 3yrs difference. The SGS7 is a fantastic device. The OS isn't the same as 3-4 yrs ago. Big changes, zero lag, it's just a great phone. I have the S7 along with the iPhone 6S and iPad mini 3. Have several Android devices, I'm always changing my SIM card, just a tech nut. There is so much more U can do with the Android OS. Hopefully IOS will relax and loosen up.
    Hopefully it won't. I want nothing like android which is way too open and it doesn't feel solid but like just a bunch of random ideas made up into one product. I find it quite a mess and I hope Apple doesn't go that route.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #59  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trparky View Post
    The Android ecosystem is so crowded that they practically have to shove every feature under the sun just to try and differentiate themselves from one another. Every couple of months a new device comes out and they shove new features into it just to say that they have something new to sell and to club their competition over the head.

Samsung: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. HTC and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
    A few months later...
    LG: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. Samsung and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
    A few months later...
    HTC: "Look at us, we have this new cool feature. Samsung and LG don't have it, but we do! Buy our new device today!"
    A few months later... and the cycle starts all over again.

If you ask me... that's not how you run an industry. Basically, the Android ecosystem has come down to one thing... What can we put into our new device to clobber our competition over the head with? What can we do to make our competition look bad? If you ask me, that's not innovation; that's pure stupidity.

The new Samsung Note 7 has a retina scanner. So? 99% of users aren't ever going to use it. Just another example of a product feature to use to clobber their competition over the head with.
    The competition on the Android side has helped create the hardware you are seeing today. These companies you list, they are INNOVATING. Sure, not every idea will pan out and as a smart consumer you need to know which are legit and which aren't, but at least it's innovating. Apples hardware, if all the rumors are true, will be three years without a significant upgrade. That's horrible.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    libra89 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

What the Android OEMs are doing is akin to throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks. That's not innovation, that's stupidity.

You and I have a very different idea about what innovation is. Making something that only a small minority of people are going to use is a waste of development money.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

I'm not saying that coming up with ideas is bad, what I do have a problem with is coming up with half-*** ideas that don't pan out in the end. If you have a genuinely good idea, then go for it! But think about it first and if you don't think that a majority of users are going to use it, don't do it; let it die in the R&D lab instead of looking like fools in the market.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #62  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trparky View Post
    I'm not saying that coming up with ideas is bad, what I do have a problem with is coming up with half-*** ideas that don't pan out in the end. If you have a genuinely good idea, then go for it! But think about it first and if you don't think that a majority of users are going to use it, don't do it; let it die in the R&D lab instead of looking like fools in the market.
    Obviously these companies believe they have genuinely good ideas or they would be doing them. LG, must have thought modular add ons was going to be a success or they wouldn't have done it. I happen to think modular add on's is a total waste. I thought that when LG did it and now Moto. But these companies are fighting for market share which forces them to differentiate themselves from the competition. If you dont like it, you dont buy it. I would much rather have a choice in my purchase than be forced into what one company (Apple in this case) tells me what I need and what I dont (headphone jack anyone?).

I thought a dual camera was a gimmick (still do) but guess who is coming out with it? I thought a curved screen was a gimmick, but its awesome. I think an Iris scanner is a gimmick, but its getting solid reviews so far. Today's gimmick is tomorrow's most sought after feature set. The best thing these phone oem's can do is offer the features and let the customer decide.
    mariusfilip likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Obviously these companies believe they have genuinely good ideas or they would be doing them. LG, must have thought modular add ons was going to be a success or they wouldn't have done it. I happen to think modular add on's is a total waste. I thought that when LG did it and now Moto. But these companies are fighting for market share which forces them to differentiate themselves from the competition. If you dont like it, you dont buy it. I would much rather have a choice in my purchase than be forced into what one company (Apple in this case) tells me what I need and what I dont (headphone jack anyone?).

I thought a dual camera was a gimmick (still do) but guess who is coming out with it? I thought a curved screen was a gimmick, but its awesome. I think an Iris scanner is a gimmick, but its getting solid reviews so far. Today's gimmick is tomorrow's most sought after feature set. The best thing these phone oem's can do is offer the features and let the customer decide.
    I agree with this. I honestly thought Touch ID was a gimmick and I didn't need it because I didn't use a password. I was proven wrong, I love Touch ID.

I thought 3D Touch was a gimmick and so far for me it has been.

I like when companies try stuff because it if works out then you can have something great.

Honestly I think the black note 7 looks terrific and I really want one. But I know I will want the new iPhone next month so I'm not getting the note.

I just really hope the rumors are true and Apple releases a new black iPhone, close to the color of the note would be awesome

All I want is file management. That's it. I want to be able to download attachments, manage those files and obtain music from any source of my choosing. That's all I want. iOS will officially be the greatest and least flawed mobile OS in my book if/when that happens. I've been begging for that for years...I've stopped holding my breath.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,868 Global Posts

You can obtain music from wherever you want... It just has to be added to iTunes and synced via iTunes... at least half my iTunes library is non ITunes purchased...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts

My perfect phone will be Samsung phone with ios. Lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krazyatom View Post
    I was thinking about this recently. I love Samsung hardware, it's a beautiful phone, the screen is amazing, water resistant and I love the edge to edge screen. What brings the phone down is android with touchwiz overlaid on top of it. If it could run iOS, it would be damn near perfect.
    krazyatom likes this.
    iMore Newbie

I won't. I really hate the edge screen, it's just a waste of a goegeous screen. It is not good loking with any type of content... I like the Galaxy build quality overall but with the regular S7. If i do hope Apple will do something to trim down their bezels a bit, i really hope they won't do annedge screen

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    You can obtain music from wherever you want... It just has to be added to iTunes and synced via iTunes... at least half my iTunes library is non ITunes purchased...
    That's the problem. I don't want to have to be tied to a computer. Every other mobile OS allows local management and downloading of music files to be played in the native music player. iOS requires me to download a third party browser where all of those files will be held. The hardware is more than capable of what I want. It's simply whether or not Apple will do it.
    Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    39,512 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krazyatom View Post
    with a keyboard by BlackBerry! lol
    krazyatom likes this.
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    That's the problem. I don't want to have to be tied to a computer. Every other mobile OS allows local management and downloading of music files to be played in the native music player. iOS requires me to download a third party browser where all of those files will be held. The hardware is more than capable of what I want. It's simply whether or not Apple will do it.
    Then, maybe iOS isn't for you. I have no problem with moving my music around on my phone between apps. Of course the iTunes music directory is the whole point of music on an iPhone, just like an iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffypig View Post
    Then, maybe iOS isn't for you. I have no problem with moving my music around on my phone between apps. Of course the iTunes music directory is the whole point of music on an iPhone, just like an iPod.
    Sheesh. One grievance and now the whole OS isn't for me? Calm down. If you like every single thing about iOS and wouldn't change a thing then great. Apple won. Not everybody is as easily pleased. And once you've used every mobile OS it's easy to see things that you'd enjoy on your daily smart phone.

I didn't ask for a recommendation on whether or not Apple is for me. Nor did I ask you if you like the way the system is set up. I'm very capable of determining what is and isn't for me. I'm a big boy. Thank you though.
    krazyatom likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,671 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisforpm View Post
    I was thinking about this recently. I love Samsung hardware, it's a beautiful phone, the screen is amazing, water resistant and I love the edge to edge screen. What brings the phone down is android with touchwiz overlaid on top of it. If it could run iOS, it would be damn near perfect.
    This ^

That's why the Nexus is the closest thing to an iPhone Android experience.

Thanks to stock Android and no bloatware.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Get ready for bad writing . I even jumped ship, I just pre ordered a note 7. And I never pre order anything. I'm a iOS fan but apple has truly fell behind. Got to play with a s7 randomly at a bar one day and was blown away. I'll be a lost person for awhile on my note, but I think it's time to move on. smart phones have been around for awhile now and. Much like a child moving out of his/her parents house. I don't need apples parenting telling me what I can and can not do. Also I have a unlimited data plan apple I don't NEED wifi for apps or other big downloads.

iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Nexus phones are optimized like ****. Well maybe not **** but it's not good

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast