90 Days With My First iPhone From a Former BlackBerry Lover

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Wow! I can't believe that I purchased my first iPhone ever (7 Plus) just 90 days ago. It feels like it's been longer than that because I'm so use to my phone now. I've been officially converted to Team Apple. It's funny how I resisted an iPhone all these years only to finally take a bite of the forbidden fruit so to speak coming from BlackBerry...LOL! I didn't like the roadmap of BlackBerry which is now Android with some BlackBerry touches as it just doesn't fit my needs. I was the last holdout among my friends and family who all have had iPhones for years. FaceTime and iMessage are so convenient now that I don't see myself parting from them anytime soon. Plus it's nice to be able to track my son with iCloud Family Sharing and Find Friends. Oh and the apps for anything you can think of. I lived so long with workarounds that I forgot what normal apps are without having to port an Android version just to do something I need. The simplicity of everything working seamlessly without me having to tinker with anything is really nice too. I think what really helped me convert was I went in head first not trying to make my iPhone behave in ways like my former BlackBerry phone and just learned how to do things in a new way. Even though I miss my BlackBerry Hub (one center for all notifications), BB10 virtual keyboard (flick to type), and my blinking RGB notification LED light I can truly say I've fully adapted to the Apple way of doing things that I've almost forgotten my BlackBerry ways ;)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Glad you like it! I've got a 7 Plus also that I love. That being said, I'm not 100% sure you gave Android by BlackBerry a fair chance. You no longer have to sideload apps, since Android is the BB OS now the apps just work. And for the most part Android has all the same apps as iOS, with of COURSE Facetime and iMessage being the exception. There are plenty of cross platform solutions that do the same thing and more such as Whatsapp, BBM, Facebook messenger, Skype, etc.

BUT to each his own. :) Glad that you found a phone that you love and that is working for you. :)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. Glad you are enjoying your 7 Plus. I love mine as well. Like many people, I was a blackberry user too. I will always remember those years fondly. The last one I used for any amount of time was the Q10. Even then I was using android and iOS devices as well. If your family and friends are all iPhone users then you made a good choice. iOS and android are both very good and each with its positives and negatives. I can be happy with either but have been iOS only for the last 7 months.

Enjoy your phone, ask questions and give us your feedback. It's always good to have new people around sharing their experiences.

timee80

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 6s plus about a month now and loving it too. Like you, I was in love with bb10 and got a bit excited whenever a leaked autoloader popped up on crackberry. Those were the days! I always kept an android too so was familiar with that os as well and I admit to mocking the isheep people for a long time. While I still think that the cost of ownership is a bit high I now see the appeal of the phones. If you go into this ecosystem with an open mind I'm sure most people will at very least enjoy a lot about it. I really like 3D touch

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's great news, OP, and just know that a good deal of us are former Blackberry fanatics....

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I love iPhone 7 plus as well but bb10 is very good. If bb10 didn't have app gap, I would probably use bb10 over iPhone but that will never happen.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Glad you like it! I've got a 7 Plus also that I love. That being said, I'm not 100% sure you gave Android by BlackBerry a fair chance. You no longer have to sideload apps, since Android is the BB OS now the apps just work. And for the most part Android has all the same apps as iOS, with of COURSE Facetime and iMessage being the exception. There are plenty of cross platform solutions that do the same thing and more such as Whatsapp, BBM, Facebook messenger, Skype, etc.

BUT to each his own. :) Glad that you found a phone that you love and that is working for you. :)

Actually I did test drive a BlackBerry DTEK60 for 30 days and sold it. I didn't prefer the BlackBerry Android mix and tried to love it but in the end it just wasn't for me. I wanted to stay within the BlackBerry family since I was coming from a Z10 but no dice so I finally had to succumb to the Apple I resisted for so long.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Welcome. I used Blackberry yrs ago. The Tour. Then directly to Android where I remained married to Samsung and Android for a number of years. I switched in January. I have made the complete move over to the dark side. Apple Watch iPad Pro 12.9. Mac Pro

Can't forget my iPhone 7+ rise gold beauty. Hooked. Best decision ever made

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations OP. There will always be a special place in my heart for Blackberry as the 8330 was my very first smartphone and my introduction into this world. I'm glad you're enjoying your iPhone.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Love my Jet Black 7+. Came over from the WM world. Loved it for 10 years but MS decided they wanted to go in a different direction and I decide to do the same. Never had BB but did have a few Android models along the way.

My family is firmly entrenched in the Apple world and I'm getting use to it.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Love my Jet Black 7+. Came over from the WM world. Loved it for 10 years but MS decided they wanted to go in a different direction and I decide to do the same. Never had BB but did have a few Android models along the way.

My family is firmly entrenched in the Apple world and I'm getting use to it.

I'm still entrenched in the Microsoft world and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I definitely get the appeal of an iPhone and why the OP made the change but it's just not me. To each their own I guess. I'm still rocking my Pro 4/950 XL combo.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Warm welcome to #TeamApple and congratulations on your new purchase 😃 Blackberry definitely isn't for everyone and if it doesn't meet your new needs then it's import to look at other avenues.

It makes the process that much nicer when most of your family is also on Apple.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore I think you will find a good percentage of participants on this forum are former BlackBerry users I started with a 8820 pearl flip and stayed with them for many years however when they went to Android I came over to IOS and am quite happy with device, regular updates and good support are a few reasons I will stay and yes my whole family is a iPhone user and that makes it easier to stay connected .Good Luck see you around forums .

bluesqueen23

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad you're enjoying your iPhone. I love my iPhone 7 for my personal device. I'm still active on Crackberry as I use a BB Priv for my business that will likely be replaced by the KeyOne in a few weeks. I have several Apple Products, watch, Apple TV, MacBook Pro, iMac, iPod, iPad, and I enjoy all of them. One of the best things about owning Apple products is the support and the customer service. I know that if anything goes wrong with a device, that I can take it to the Apple Store to be looked at & fixed. Enjoy your phone and feel free to read the forums and ask questions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711