(Sigh) back again - after a brief flirt with android

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm two phoning it for the time being. Apples advantage is the services such as iMessage. That's what keeps me, honestly. Otherwise, I absolutely love my S8. Thought I can't wait for the next iPhone release to see what they bring to the table. If they released iMessage on Android, I may be gone lol. That's the only thing I missed.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm two phoning it for the time being. Apples advantage is the services such as iMessage. That's what keeps me, honestly. Otherwise, I absolutely love my S8. Thought I can't wait for the next iPhone release to see what they bring to the table. If they released iMessage on Android, I may be gone lol. That's the only thing I missed.

Although there have been rumors about releasing iMessage to android, I can't imagine that ever going down. That and FaceTime is apples two things that keeps everyone buying their phones! If they give that up to other platforms Apple will crash. No doubt about it!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Although there have been rumors about releasing iMessage to android, I can't imagine that ever going down. That and FaceTime is apples two things that keeps everyone buying their phones! If they give that up to other platforms Apple will crash. No doubt about it!

Yea I definitely don't see that happening. It would hurt them, I'm sure.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
That's what I kept doing. I finally just decided, why am I torturing myself trying to like Android again when there's so many things for me that it doesn't do compared to iOS?

I mean I already see the people on AC in the HTC U11 forums saying they're going to sell their S8s for it, they're free to do whatever they want but sheesh for me buying a new phone every two months is crazy.

I actually liked getting a new phone and selling the "old" one every month but it got downright silly and too time consuming. I'm very content on the 7 plus now. I'm sure if I bought a s8 that I'd be head over heels...For about 2 months and then I'd want to be on to the next device, pixel 2..Note 8...iPhone 8? It's just too much it gets out of hand!

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree. I try to tell myself that I need to use something for at least a year, but that rarely works. Now I keep one of each OS (relatively current models) so I can cycle through them as I feel like it, but don't have the urge to buy the latest and greatest.

Rodzp

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I jumped from always having Android phones to a 6s Plus last year then to a Pixel for two months early this year. I honestly prefer a lot of the customization options in the Android OS and the Android OS in general. However, Apple's hardware quality is what brought me back. The LG and Samsung options are a no go for me because of VZW bloat and slow updates. When I switched back I sold the Pixel and got the 7 Plus, even though it cost me a small fortune it was the right decision for me.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm tempted to sell my Nexus 6, and Nexus 6P "back-up phones" so I won't waste so much time switching back and forth just to remember that iOS is the best fit for me. I think really it's just boredom with technology in general that keeps me doing it...

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I jumped from always having Android phones to a 6s Plus last year then to a Pixel for two months early this year. I honestly prefer a lot of the customization options in the Android OS and the Android OS in general. However, Apple's hardware quality is what brought me back. The LG and Samsung options are a no go for me because of VZW bloat and slow updates. When I switched back I sold the Pixel and got the 7 Plus, even though it cost me a small fortune it was the right decision for me.

I as well came from a pixel. I don't miss it and when I had it I can easily say that software wise it was the best android device I owned. I felt like I was using an iPhone with the android OS on it. Even though I could still customize it I said I might as well go back to iOS for iMessage and FaceTime with all of my family members, also gain ip67 and that amazing portrait mode feature.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I've had every iPhone since the Gen1 model, and I must admit that I've gotten a bit "bored" with iOS a few times over the years and have tried to test the water with something else. I've tried BlackBerry OS10 (I'm also a looooogtime BlackBerry lover)...but it took me so long to warm up to it, that it was almost over as an OS by the time I finally did. I tried Android several times with a couple of Samsung Notes (4 & 5) and a Galaxy 6...then tried BlackBerry's Android hybrid on the Priv. Each time I simply couldn't get comfortable with Android enough to make it my daily OS. Each time I came back to iOS, and immediately felt at home. It's simple, smooth & effective. It "just works".

I believe I'll stay around. :biggrin:

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I want an iPhone to toy with but I am in the opposite camp from most of you .. I know I will enjoy it but something will take me back to Android. I am just too used to the Android world and how it works from customization (yes I know everyone is tired of that reason but all I have to say is Nova + Gestures) and also I like how Google is tied in so well. Google is my main cloud platform so that is definitely useful that Android is built by .. well .. Google :p.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I want an iPhone to toy with but I am in the opposite camp from most of you .. I know I will enjoy it but something will take me back to Android. I am just too used to the Android world and how it works from customization (yes I know everyone is tired of that reason but all I have to say is Nova + Gestures) and also I like how Google is tied in so well. Google is my main cloud platform so that is definitely useful that Android is built by .. well .. Google :p.

IPhone is my main with occasional Android toys ha ha. I use Google cloud based services a lot and they work great on all Apple devices.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
IPhone is my main with occasional Android toys ha ha. I use Google cloud based services a lot and they work great on all Apple devices.
The only thing that I could never get to work with apple was the Google auto upload of photos. My Gf's iPhone still requires me to open the app for it to backup.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

If my first smartphone had been an Android phone and that's all I really knew then I may not be in iOS like I am. But from my time using the very first iPhone it was just magical LOL. Even when I switched to Android cause I did at one point get fed up with Apple and the lack of basic things like ringtones and copy/paste back in the day it was like coming home when I traded my Galaxy Nexus for an iPhone 4 now I've been happily back for 5 years.

Android repulses me now bahaha just can't get into. Yes Material design is beautiful but the lack of cohesiveness between apps and the design language is kind of annoying plus certain apps that even Google makes lack features compared to their iOS counterparts i.e. Fingerprint authentication for Drive and Wallet. Things like that drive me nuts. We can also say that Android is so far advanced that iOS can't catch up but theirs still things that Android doesn't have or is just introducing with O that iOS has either had from the beginning (Visual Voicemail built into the diaper app, most versions or forks of Android still don't have this or it's based on carrier which is stupid) , battery percentage next to the battery icon and notification dots! LMAO!!

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
If my first smartphone had been an Android phone and that's all I really knew then I may not be in iOS like I am. But from my time using the very first iPhone it was just magical LOL. Even when I switched to Android cause I did at one point get fed up with Apple and the lack of basic things like ringtones and copy/paste back in the day it was like coming home when I traded my Galaxy Nexus for an iPhone 4 now I've been happily back for 5 years.

Android repulses me now bahaha just can't get into. Yes Material design is beautiful but the lack of cohesiveness between apps and the design language is kind of annoying plus certain apps that even Google makes lack features compared to their iOS counterparts i.e. Fingerprint authentication for Drive and Wallet. Things like that drive me nuts. We can also say that Android is so far advanced that iOS can't catch up but theirs still things that Android doesn't have or is just introducing with O that iOS has either had from the beginning (Visual Voicemail built into the diaper app, most versions or forks of Android still don't have this or it's based on carrier which is stupid) , battery percentage next to the battery icon and notification dots! LMAO!!

I use FP for most of my apps on Android (banking, LastPass, etc.) and also Samsung Pay. The notifications at the top left help me know if I can ignore the notification from the app or if I should check it out. The VVM is kind of annoying. On Google phones it is built into the dialer. On my S8+ I just use the Verizon VM app and it functions the same. The battery % next to the battery icon I don't understand since .. mine is next to it just like iPhone :p.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Nova gestures are pretty awesome, but I just used them as shortcuts (double tap to open google) or easier methods (swipe down area to bring notification bar)...not enough for me to stay on android, personally of course. I do find that while googles Eco does work on Apple, it is much better on android and could see people completely devoted to it staying on the os.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I use FP for most of my apps on Android (banking, LastPass, etc.) and also Samsung Pay. The notifications at the top left help me know if I can ignore the notification from the app or if I should check it out. The VVM is kind of annoying. On Google phones it is built into the dialer. On my S8+ I just use the Verizon VM app and it functions the same. The battery % next to the battery icon I don't understand since .. mine is next to it just like iPhone :p.

I'm referring to stock Android mostly LOL. Since I had the battery percent too when I was using Android back in the day with custom ROMs.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Nova gestures are pretty awesome, but I just used them as shortcuts (double tap to open google) or easier methods (swipe down area to bring notification bar)...not enough for me to stay on android, personally of course. I do find that while googles Eco does work on Apple, it is much better on android and could see people completely devoted to it staying on the os.

Pretty much :). Just like those heavily invested into iOS / Apple's ecosystem find it hard to swap over. It definitely does.

I will say I do miss iMessage of course. That is probably the one feature of Apple's system that I loved 110%.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm referring to stock Android mostly LOL. Since I had the battery percent too when I was using Android back in the day with custom ROMs.

True :). That is the joy of Android though .. multiple different phones still running the base OS but you can get your feel from another manufacturer. TBH I have no real preference. I do like Google (had a Pixel) and loved it .. But this S8+ ain't bad. Samsung did well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox