I had way too many scratches with my jet black so i changed carriers and got matte black
    05-14-2017 12:49 PM
    The confusion is, you are incorrect. A simple search would have given you the answer.
    #1 . Alcohol does indeed remove the oleophobic coating. It is also strongly suggested not to use common household detergents on oleophobic coated screens.
    #2 . It is also strongly suggested not to use alcohol on the Jet Black coating as it will cause deterioration of the clear coating. Basically the same concept as #1 .

Please do not let a discussion turn in to an argument with false information. Thanks.
    Respectfully, I disagree. While I can't speak for the Jet Black finish and it's coating, alcohol in itself is not a very good solvent. I have used alcohol wipes and household isopropyl alcohol to clean my screens many times. My wife does it all the time. There has never been any deterioration of the oleophobic coating. Also, it would help if you post a credible source. I'd like to see it.

Here is at lest one very credible iFixit member that agrees with my position. https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...+iPhone+screen

This matches every one of my observations on many phones owned over the years.
    Last edited by dejanh; 05-14-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-14-2017 07:21 PM
    Respectfully, I disagree. While I can't speak for the Jet Black finish and it's coating, alcohol in itself is not a very good solvent. I have used alcohol wipes and household isopropyl alcohol to clean my screens many times. My wife does it all the time. There has never been any deterioration of the oleophobic coating. Also, it would help if you post a credible source. I'd like to see it.

Here is at lest one very credible iFixit member that agrees with my position. https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...+iPhone+screen

Alcohol Is considered an abrasive chemical to apple I've been told.

Spencerdl and Not Quite Right like this.
    05-14-2017 07:57 PM

I don't believe alcohol on a one time use would damage the coating. I think constant usage would affect the coating over time. I, in the long run, would agree with apple on staying away from that type of stuff. I could care less what one reputable member of ifixit opinion is.
    05-14-2017 09:08 PM
    Maybe I'm sleepy but I read this twice and there is no mention of isopropyl alcohol. Also, watch out for compressed air apparently.
    I don't believe alcohol on a one time use would damage the coating. I think constant usage would affect the coating over time. I, in the long run, would agree with apple on staying away from that type of stuff. I could care less what one reputable member of ifixit opinion is.
    Constant usage of anything, including lint-free cloth, will affect the coating. Also, as stated above, there is no mention of isopropyl alcohol in the referenced material. Further to this, alcohol is not an "abrasive" and there is no way Apple is lumping it into this category. Finally, let's get back to the point here.

OP is inquiring about an issue not with the screen but with the Jet Black finish of the device. Seeing as whatever coating Apple put onto the device should not be susceptible to non-abrasives and seeing as isopropyl alcohol is not a paint thinner there should be no issue at all to use it to wipe the device in an attempt to resolve the issue OP is seeing. Excess rubbing, usage of abrasive cloth, etc., notwithstanding as it would certainly damage the already fragile Jet Black finish.
    05-14-2017 11:43 PM
    So i had a offer from a dealer here. They would swap me a brand new 32gb any color for my stained jet black 128. Good or bad deal
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    05-15-2017 03:48 AM
    So i had a offer from a dealer here. They would swap me a brand new 32gb any color for my stained jet black 128. Good or bad deal
    It depends how you use your iPhone. I personally take a lot of photos and videos of my family and have movies downloaded from amazon so I wouldn't do the deal. You could order a different color skin and that could be an option.
    Statik SA1 likes this.
    05-15-2017 05:05 AM
    Problem solved.

/thread
    05-15-2017 09:22 AM
    Depends on if you need the onboard storage or not. Otherwise I'd do it with a good iCloud subscription.
    05-15-2017 09:42 AM
    Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me, but as others have stated, it depends on my your usage needs.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    05-15-2017 10:33 AM
    http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...afa431a8b5.jpg
    That is with no direct light. Looks almost new.
    Guy tells a doctor, it hurts when I raise my hand above my shoulder. Doctor say, then don't raise your hand above your shoulder, and shine no bright lights on a Jet Black iPhone.
    05-15-2017 05:44 PM
    You can try taking it to apple but I'm not sure they'll replace it. If you have  care maybe try to use part of your warranty and come out like 80-100 bucks
    I've heard different results from takebacks at . They tell me they will refund my cash if I return the device within 14 days. After that, if they agree it's unfixable, and if it's no longer in warranty, they will allow a discount in a trade for the exact same phone (and that a refurbish). I think I paid $328 for a replacement 6 Plus out of warranty.

So how does my son waltz into an Apple Store on the east coast with a malfunctioning 6 Plus long out of warranty and walk out again with a refurbish after paying nothing?
    05-15-2017 05:55 PM
    I've heard different results from takebacks at . They tell me they will refund my cash if I return the device within 14 days. After that, if they agree it's unfixable, and if it's no longer in warranty, they will allow a discount in a trade for the exact same phone (and that a refurbish). I think I paid $328 for a replacement 6 Plus out of warranty.

So how does my son waltz into an Apple Store on the east coast with a malfunctioning 6 Plus long out of warranty and walk out again with a refurbish after paying nothing?
    Literally that is due to the 6 bend gate issue and battery issue that warrant them a free phone, most  stores just replace the 6/6+ with or without warranty I saw a guy at my  store with a broken camera on his 6 and they just replaced the whole thing LOL (I said most). Every  store is different, I told op he probably wouldn't get a replacement due to it being normal wear and tear from his end. If he had  care he could of used accidental damage warranty and get a new 7plus for 80-100 but he didn't have  care.
    05-15-2017 06:00 PM
    I don't believe alcohol on a one time use would damage the coating. .
    Then please explain to me how come after a long night at Lynette's Lounge I lost my denim jacket!
    05-15-2017 06:04 PM
    With a case being on for a long time and never being taken out
    I think you answered your own problem here. You stated that you never took it out of the case. During the time you have not, it's possible that dust has entered through and creating those marks. Also I heard that cases can scratch the finish of the Jet Black.
    05-15-2017 07:35 PM
    I standby my alcohol recommendation. SMALL amount lightly rubbed should not harm the device. I also agree it should not be a habit! For regular cleanings a microfiber cleaning cloth is best. You can find them on Amazon OR in Shop iMore....

3M Microfiber Cleaning Cloth - Apple iPhone Screen Protectors - iMore Store
    dejanh likes this.
    05-17-2017 03:47 PM
    I agree that an occasional cleaning with isopropyl alcohol will not harm the finish. As pkable said, use a small amount and dont go scrubbing it, you will be fine. Ive used 99% pure isopropanol to clean my phones, screens, glasses, many times and never had any ill effects. We use it where I work for cleaning many things, ordering it by the 55 gallon drum. Ive personally never seen any harm come from using it. Most isopropyl alcohol you get from any store is 70-91% pure.

Aside from that, I would leave it. If you can only see it while shining a light directly on it, I wouldnt worry about it.
    dejanh and pkcable like this.
    05-17-2017 11:30 PM
67 123