iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
It IS a beautiful screen, but I tend to agree - it feels like I am holding a TV remote after six months with an iPhone 7+. If you manage to open two identical browser screens, there is more text, top to bottom on the S8+, but it is "squished" horizontally by the narrow design. It is easier on the hand, but I'm not really seeing the value of a tall x narrow display.

For me, the real solution would be squeezing a 5.5" screen into the current iPhone 7 form factor (even make it a bit thicker if battery becomes an issue) - instantly easier to hold and more pocketable, but with a decent size 4:3 screen aspect ratio.

Last edited:

navlemz

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hold off on the booo's here, just want to get some discussion going :)

I've been honestly very impressed with the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Looks like a darn solid phone, and that display, well, it looks great.

My question(s) for you. Would you EVER consider switching to Android and pick up something like an S8? Or are you locked into the Apple ecosystem, LOVE everything Apple, and pick up an iPhone 7 or the next gen iPhone when it becomes available?

Certainly lots to talk about here. As phones get better and better and better.... you almost can't go wrong!!

I tried the s8, already noticed a flickering line in the display, also the red tint on the display, maybe 1 in a million, however, staying with my iPhone in any case

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
The S8 and S8+ are incredible hardware packed into an incredible form factor. That display! :heart: Bixbi is typical Samsung though, in fact the whole OS and touch whiz environment layered on top of android 7.0 is. My note 5 was still on 6.0. VZW never updated while I was on them. Very typical. Whereas on iOS, I KNOW I have the latest greatest as soon as it's available (10.3.1).

Meanwhile, back to the Samsung experience: 2 browsers, 2 AI engines (one of them crippled for the time being), 2 photo repositories, 2 app stores (google play AND samsung's own proprietary crap) along with a hardware button hanging off the side of the phone which currently doesn't do much and can't be remapped. There was a great review of the S7 last year which said "if it had iOS then it'd be the perfect phone" and that sums it up for me really. I adore the hardware but keep coming back to Apple's iOS and overall ecosystem. I eagerly await iPhone 8 this fall/winter/2018 and hope that it catches up with and/or surpasses Samsung's offering right now. If Apple would give me that display and S8 form factor with iOS running the show? SOLD! :)

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
There is another factor to IOS over Android... RESALE.. I can still get a good price for an Iphone 6 or 6S... Used Androids are hardly worth anything.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If it were a Nexus / Google phone, I might....MIGHT consider getting it. Like Apple, Sammy has apps on their phone that I never use and I can't delete them. Loved the Nexus phones as I was able to root and rom.

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
One thing I was impressed about with the S8 was how small it is. The lack of a bezel really does make a huge difference. It's just a shame it's still running a crappy OS.

dafmay

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
One thing I was impressed about with the S8 was how small it is. The lack of a bezel really does make a huge difference. It's just a shame it's still running a crappy OS.

I found the S8 too small...couldn't hold it properly without fear of dropping it. That plus the annoying Edge refractions and software hiccups and lag made me return it.

My iPhone 7 Plus still rules.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Have an Android and an iPhone and switch my SIMs between them depending on my mood that day. I will say if I had to choose one, hands down the iPhone would be it.

Just look at the apps between the two. Android apps are half baked in comparison. Take a look at the Ameritrade iPhone app and the Android app. Night and day difference. That goes for a ton of apps I use. The ability to use touch ID for many apps including banking apps just is not there with Android.

I prefer the notification delivery on iPhone. I get any notification and I simply look over at my iPhone on the desk. With Samsung is works with some notifications but not all. The drop down shade does not offer quite the clarity needed to quickly distinguish the message at a glance on Android as opposed to iPhone.

Another feature the iPhone has that to me is gold is the ability to go back with a swipe left to right. This allows one handed use even with larger screens. With Android you are distributing most of the weight forward to get to the back button which to me is not as stable than a simple mid screen swipe.

It's funny, when you watch phone reviews on you tube I notice most of the time the reviewers SIM is loaded in the iPhone. That also goes for the watch. The most common complaint I hear about iPhone is "i got bored and bought a Android". Here is the thing, it's boring because it works. I can tell you I am not bored with Android because I am always trying to figure out how to make things work correctly. For example, I was just on Facebook messenger talking to a friend. Every time he responded to me while in app the notification pops up top asking me to reply as if I was in another app. WTF? I just don't run into that shhh with iPhone.

I could go on and on. So why do I have a Note 5 along with my iPhone? Because iPhone is too boring. ;-)

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
So I've been spending a week as of today with the galaxy S8 plus. I actually stupidly sold my iPhone 7 Plus thinking that I was going to stick with this galaxy phone. Boy was I wrong.

First off you can't deny that the screen is absolutely gorgeous. Seriously is quite something to see. When I held my iPhone before I sold it up against the new galaxy S8, it really showed that Apple needed to catch up in the screen department. It's a beautiful phone and it looks amazing, but that's about where it ends. First off, it's android. I really thought that there would be much improvement but unfortunately its still fragmented as ever. So many different applications on that phone for the same thing. For instance when I downloaded the file it appeared in two different locations on my phone. Unnecessary. And of course after only about three or four days and literally about maybe 25 applications, the lag started to set in. It wasn't a massive amount of lag but for a phone that was literally opened up fresh out of the box only three days prior I felt that extremely unacceptable. There's a lot that I like it out android but unfortunately there's a lot more that I dislike about android and which is why I continue to come back to iOS. This was probably my last time testing the waters with android. I have done this almost every year since the galaxy S5 only to come back to iOS every single time. Android really has come a long way especially under the clutches of Samsung, but for a phone that has all that hardware packed into it it boggles my mind why it still performs the way it does.

And for those wondering why so my iPhone, knowing how my past has been with switching, I had about $300 left on my iPhone balance through my carrier. A coworker of mine offered me 580 bucks to buy it off me so I took that money and paid off the balance only to pocket the extra cash. With that said T-Mobile has been super awesome and sent me out a new iPhone 7 Plus product red. Instead of waiting for me to send the galaxy S8 back and wait for it to get to the warehouse before allowing me to place a new phone order, they took care of me and got me a new device so I wouldn't have to be without one.

It's very easy to get drawn in with the hype of these stellar looking galaxy phones, just know what you're getting into if you're a diehard iOS fan.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I was originally an android user then after switching to the iPhone (which I hated the first several days) I haven't been able to go back to android. I've flirted with it, especially because of the samsung devices, but I always end up back with the iPhone. I like "hey Siri" and I don't like saying "ok google". Strange thing, I know, but that's me. I also don't like the lack of apps on android supporting fingerprint scanning to log in vs iOS. Not a deal breaker, but still something I dont enjoy. For the way I set my phones up, the iPhone battery lasts me waaay longer than any Samsung device I've tried and I hate having to make my smartphone not a smartphone to get a full day out of the battery. Finally, the visual voice mail. It's part of the iPhone setup, but you have to pay $5/month to get it on android. No thanks.
Not knocking android here. I think it's an excellent operating system and there are plenty of people who happily use it and will continue to use it. It's just that for ME, iOS does more of what I want and nothing comes close to the battery life I get from my 7 plus. Never say never but it would take one heck of a goof on Apple's part, or some major changes to Android, to get me to leave iOS again.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Played with the S8 and S8+ in Best Buy. Just like the S7 Edge, I don't care for the curved edge display especially on a device that is Glass front and back. At least the standard flat display S7, you can get a decent grip on it without touching the display thanks to the thicker frame and slight bezels.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
It's very easy to get drawn in with the hype of these stellar looking galaxy phones, just know what you're getting into if you're a diehard iOS fan.

I don't think it's about being a die hard iOS fan, coming from many years of android (last iPhone was 5S for a few months) it's just wanting something that always works (iOS) versus customization/flexibility(android). I can see why so many prefer android over ios, but I was so exhausted by managing my device. As soon as I had it run very well for a month or so, some other issue would randomly come up (although less with stock).

For iOS fans, that tinkering gets old and I can finally say at iOS 10x and 7+ very much see the real appeal of iOS. I had a 3GS and loved it, moved to WP for a few years, got a 5S, wasn't impressed (aside from touch Id, was solid), bored 3 months after launch and then to Android. iOS back then was missing a lot, but I see now that this software and everything it does is so impressive and durable/fluid (animations and UI sell it best Imo).

To each their own, that's how I see it. Competition is what drives these companies to innovate. With the S8 Samsung really brought the design and display standard very high...I give that device kudos for how amazing it looks. Let's hope apple steps it up just as aggressive.

Even coming from the 6P, I was hoping 7+ would be slightly smaller but it isn't. I don't mind the weight but the wideness (not narrow like S8) is the same problem I had size wise with 6P. Thats my only sort of minor complaint I have with the device. That and I miss heptic feedback when typing (SwiftKey doesn't support it, lame).

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Just checked them out in store, lol Tommy Tall S8 + and that screen ratio, and people complain about the size of 7 plus, even though the screen is smaller give me the flat screen shorter phone 7 plus with bezels anyday.
And looking at photos on the stretched out curved screen is just TERRIBLE, don't know how people can stand it.
I gave up after that, TW is still TW too, a wolf in sheeps clothing.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So I've been spending a week as of today with the galaxy S8 plus. I actually stupidly sold my iPhone 7 Plus thinking that I was going to stick with this galaxy phone. Boy was I wrong.

First off you can't deny that the screen is absolutely gorgeous. Seriously is quite something to see. When I held my iPhone before I sold it up against the new galaxy S8, it really showed that Apple needed to catch up in the screen department. It's a beautiful phone and it looks amazing, but that's about where it ends. First off, it's android. I really thought that there would be much improvement but unfortunately its still fragmented as ever. So many different applications on that phone for the same thing. For instance when I downloaded the file it appeared in two different locations on my phone. Unnecessary. And of course after only about three or four days and literally about maybe 25 applications, the lag started to set in. It wasn't a massive amount of lag but for a phone that was literally opened up fresh out of the box only three days prior I felt that extremely unacceptable. There's a lot that I like it out android but unfortunately there's a lot more that I dislike about android and which is why I continue to come back to iOS. This was probably my last time testing the waters with android. I have done this almost every year since the galaxy S5 only to come back to iOS every single time. Android really has come a long way especially under the clutches of Samsung, but for a phone that has all that hardware packed into it it boggles my mind why it still performs the way it does.

And for those wondering why so my iPhone, knowing how my past has been with switching, I had about $300 left on my iPhone balance through my carrier. A coworker of mine offered me 580 bucks to buy it off me so I took that money and paid off the balance only to pocket the extra cash. With that said T-Mobile has been super awesome and sent me out a new iPhone 7 Plus product red. Instead of waiting for me to send the galaxy S8 back and wait for it to get to the warehouse before allowing me to place a new phone order, they took care of me and got me a new device so I wouldn't have to be without one.

I did that in 2013 when the Nexus 5 came out. I sold my 5S and used the Nexus I think for 2 days before desperately trying to trade the Nexus for an iPhone 5 LOL. After using Touch ID for 2 months and then using the Nexus drove me nuts LOL. Plus the look of KitKat at the time was annoying to me compared to iOS 7.

After that experience I've always kept my iPhone and then buy the Android phone I've wanted to try. Since then I've tried the Nexus 6, 5 different 6Ps LOL and now the S8+ and I can say I still haven't sold my iPhone every single Android phone has gone back to its maker haha.

Innerchild

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I too was a long time Blackberry user. I went with the Priv for the past year or so. After finally buying an iPad Last Christmas, i was won over to Apple. I really wanted an Apple Watch so I got the 7+ and watch a week ago. I'm happy with that decision. What I miss most is: notification led, placing icons on any space, and Blackberry keyboard where holding a key goes to uppercase. Otherwise it's all good! Love my watch!

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Hold off on the booo's here, just want to get some discussion going :)

I've been honestly very impressed with the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Looks like a darn solid phone, and that display, well, it looks great.

My question(s) for you. Would you EVER consider switching to Android and pick up something like an S8? Or are you locked into the Apple ecosystem, LOVE everything Apple, and pick up an iPhone 7 or the next gen iPhone when it becomes available?

Certainly lots to talk about here. As phones get better and better and better.... you almost can't go wrong!!
I did. And I truly love the phone. It's solid, the screen is beautiful and it's super easy to use the S8+ one handed compared to my iPhone 7 Plus. But I'll likely preorder the iPhone 8 as well.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I did. And I truly love the phone. It's solid, the screen is beautiful and it's super easy to use the S8+ one handed compared to my iPhone 7 Plus. But I'll likely preorder the iPhone 8 as well.
Have to agree. The 7 Plus is a great device but the S8 in my opinion just has a better ergonomic feel and the display... ermagerd!

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Have to agree. The 7 Plus is a great device but the S8 in my opinion just has a better ergonomic feel and the display... ermagerd!

I'll give the S8 a better ergonomic feel, definitely the 7+ is less comfortable to hold one handed.