iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
The S8 is a beautiful phone with some awesome features, but I don't think I'll ever pay that kind of money for an Android phone that gets the main Android update months after release and then doesn't get later updates at all. I like Android a lot and there are some great "mid-range" phones that are much cheaper than Samsung's flagships and almost just as good. For example, I'm coming to Apple from the Honor 8. It's a great phone for less than half the price of the S8.

The Honor 8 is a great example of a mid-priced Android that is as good (or better) than the Flagship S8

ab06deg1

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
But I agree that too often we "elders" are seen as stupid old people who can't handle new technology.

God forbid, that was not was on my mind!!! You're so misreading what i said, there were no innuendos, no categories made...the people are not so simple, the things are so not only black or white.
If my mother prefers to heat up something on the stove rather than in microwave doesn't mean she's stupid! She's a nurse and she handles all those medical equipments. She has absolutely zero interest in tech, but that doesn't make her stupid! Or anybody else. That's shallow and so not true. She just couldn't care less if there is a smart curved tv invented, she would never speak with intelligent assistant to put a timer for the stove. And I am absolutely sure that I would not put foot in a driverless car, and I will be an elder when those things will be on the roads. If that will make me a stupid old woman...so be it :)

MSUSpartan

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
God forbid, that was not was on my mind!!! You're so misreading what i said, there were no innuendos, no categories made...the people are not so simple, the things are so not only black or white.
If my mother prefers to heat up something on the stove rather than in microwave doesn't mean she's stupid! She's a nurse and she handles all those medical equipments. She has absolutely zero interest in tech, but that doesn't make her stupid! Or anybody else. That's shallow and so not true. She just couldn't care less if there is a smart curved tv invented, she would never speak with intelligent assistant to put a timer for the stove. And I am absolutely sure that I would not put foot in a driverless car, and I will be an elder when those things will be on the roads. If that will make me a stupid old woman...so be it :)

I apologize about the "stupid" comment. I should have used a different term. I wasn't necessarily referring to your earlier comment, as you had already explained that. I guess "stubborn" may be most appropriate. I've just experienced it way too often with younger people putting all seniors in one category.

Let's get back to the real subject. I too have gone back and forth between Android and Apple. I had the Galaxy s7 Edge and really thought it was just the greatest..for a couple of months. I got just too frustrated with all the Galaxy, Samsung, and android bloatware. It just slowed it down. So, my husband was due for an upgrade and I gave him the Galaxy and I got the IPhone 7 Plus. LOVE IT! It was really an easy choice since I have so many other Apple products. The camera is amazing, but most if all, as others have said, it just works.

mattkerwin24

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Was a dedicated Android user for years for my phone, but always preferred iPad for tablet.

I have had a 7+ for several months...and I'm actually missing android...I really prefer the home screen customization and actual widgets compared to the lock screen "widgets" iOS offers.

I may make the switch back to droid in the coming months.

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I switched to Apple in October and I love my 7+ but I just couldn't pass up the S8+. It'll be in my hands tomorrow. I say both!

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Typing this from an S8+ that I've only had for a day and I'm already wanting to put my sim back into my 7+. There's just so many little things that iOS does that add up for me to be a better experience. The mute switch is huge, 3D Touch on the keyboard is my most used feature, better quality apps in my opinion, fingerprint authentication in apps still vastly outstrips android, and handoff is the one killer feature Apple haves over Android oh also updates.

My s8+ has the pink hues on the edges which is annoying plus the fish bowl effect of the curved screen is also distracting.

Do not think I'll be keeping it. I'm just so much happier in my Apple bubble.

I think one of the best features about the iPhone 7+ that you left out is the reachability feature. I have small hands but always have a big phone and reaching the top of the screen always required two hands. With reachability I can use one hand and it's extremely handy!

MSUSpartan

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Was a dedicated Android user for years for my phone, but always preferred iPad for tablet.

I have had a 7+ for several months...and I'm actually missing android...I really prefer the home screen customization and actual widgets compared to the lock screen "widgets" iOS offers.

I may make the switch back to droid in the coming months.

I guess I'm one of the few who just didn't get the appeal of the widgets. They were fun/useful for a while but I never really felt the need for them.

Customization of the homescreen is nice, but not a necessity. My problem was that I was continually spending way too much time (ok, I'm retired so I should have lots of time) redoing my home screen. It was never "just right" for me.

I love my iPhone 7 plus. As I stated before, it just works. It does what I need it to do. But we all have different opinions, which is what makes the forums fun/interesting.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I had a note 3 before and something was wrong with it. Had to take it to att to get another one. It was refurbished. The problem I have is there is no Samsung store like an Apple Store to get things done. Plus, I have a 15" rMBP, IPhone 7 plus, and both iPad pros, it would be hard for me personally to have a phone that's not in the apple world. But that's just me.

Last edited:

lmarranzino

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying what you meant. I probably read it wrong too. I'm not easily offended and not really sure why I felt the need to respond. I too apologize for the misunderstanding.

Well you both gave me a laugh. In my late 50's. starting with Android and rooting. Now as of the 6 I am back and forth between.
IOS just seems to work no lag even after time.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I guess I'm one of the few who just didn't get the appeal of the widgets. They were fun/useful for a while but I never really felt the need for them. . . .
Ditto . . . . I was on Android (Galaxy S3 and then Note 4) for about 5 years but never used the widgets. I tried to a couple of times, but it was just screen clutter to me.

ab06deg1

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
The Notes are the only phones from "the dark side" appealing to me. S-pen is the only thing I miss. I really wish Apple "allowed" us to use the apple pencil with the iPhone...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I think one of the best features about the iPhone 7+ that you left out is the reachability feature. I have small hands but always have a big phone and reaching the top of the screen always required two hands. With reachability I can use one hand and it's extremely handy!

Oh yeah totally forgot to mention that.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Even if apple allowed you to use the pencil, where would you put it? MAYBE iPhone 10+ or something might have an iPEN like the note does. But who knows.

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hold off on the booo's here, just want to get some discussion going :)

I've been honestly very impressed with the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Looks like a darn solid phone, and that display, well, it looks great.

My question(s) for you. Would you EVER consider switching to Android and pick up something like an S8? Or are you locked into the Apple ecosystem, LOVE everything Apple, and pick up an iPhone 7 or the next gen iPhone when it becomes available?

Certainly lots to talk about here. As phones get better and better and better.... you almost can't go wrong!!

I would consider switching back to Android. However, I would need the rest of the family, at the very least my girl/fiancé to make the move as well. There are still those little differences beteeen the OSes such that switching might leave me missing a few things that I care about.

I will say that my iPhones, since fully switching over in 2015, have been more reliable, have lasted longer over time, offered better real life batter longevity, been more compatible with my other devices and cars, offered a better application experience, and have overall been more enjoyable devices than every Android device I have owned.

The latest iPhones, specifically the 7 Plus, have gotten the camera right enough for me not to look for Samsung or the latest Pixel phones for awesome cameras. I have no reason to do so.

He new Galaxt hardware though, it leaves little out to be desired. Samsung built a better phone than Apple. But, the software leaves me with the same questions that let me leave.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I prefer iPhones and their ecosystem. But from what I've seen in person I do like the Samsung screen. I would like the iPhone 7 Plus with a edge to edge screen.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I am a big fan of customization, keyboard and notifications on Android. So far iOS hasn't fixed these particular issues for me. Also attaching one item via email is a bit archaic. I use iPad and an Android device. 7+ is too big for the screen size.

I'm happy with my choice of phone and tablet and the difference in IS for each device type.

sekharchetry

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Lets be honest. The S8 plus is lot lot prettier and beautiful than iphone 7 plus.
I am shockingly amazed with S8 plus design and display. It has Excellent camera on any smartphone right now. Iphone is nowhere near S8 plus.
Second thing second is S8 is an instant hit and has taken Technology to the next level. Iphone 8 will be a disaster with no improvements at all except amoled display and curved edges both copied from Samsung S7 edge.
I love the innovation from samsung. Always adds something new and unique.
While Apple has lost its innovation. The same design the same hardware everytime.
Samsung has won its bet.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Lets be honest. The S8 plus is lot lot prettier and beautiful than iphone 7 plus.
I am shockingly amazed with S8 plus design and display. It has Excellent camera on any smartphone right now. Iphone is nowhere near S8 plus.
Second thing second is S8 is an instant hit and has taken Technology to the next level. Iphone 8 will be a disaster with no improvements at all except amoled display and curved edges both copied from Samsung S7 edge.
I love the innovation from samsung. Always adds something new and unique.
While Apple has lost its innovation. The same design the same hardware everytime.
Samsung has won its bet.

It's definitely a pretty phone, it's got the massive screen with that super amoled display. Curves and lack of bezels looks nice but after playing around with it I'm not sold on such a thin form factor. Now mind you I haven't used an iPhone since the 5S so I'm betting my tone might be different if I had every version that came out each year.

According to the S8 forums the camera is a mixed bag, some say the pixel and 7+ are still better than the S8. If you like over saturation and pleasing of eye more than natural colours than maybe it's right for you.

Samsung is trying to push the envelope no doubt, that super thin and extremely tall screen was risky but looks sharp and new. However with that said, I wouldn't personally call iPhone a slug compared to S8...maybe cause you're so used to iOS that android and what Samsung is offering is pleasing for you, that's great. But this weekend while at the store on my upgrade, I decided to pass on G6 and S8 for many reasons maybe we don't see eye to eye. If you do get it then that's awesome and let us know your thoughts.