Galaxy S8 Anyone?

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Just curious if anyone is getting an S8 for a second phone of dropping their iPhone completely.
IMO, the phone looks amazing but but besides that nothing is exciting me. After using android for so many year I kind of know what to expect later down the road with slowdowns, etc.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
No:

Slow if ever updates
Low resale
Poor customer service
Touchwiz ok when new soon becomes a lag fest
Oversaturated screen/colours
Curved Screen
Ugly back with case

I could go on and on and on and on.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just curious if anyone is getting an S8 for a second phone of dropping their iPhone completely.
IMO, the phone looks amazing but but besides that nothing is exciting me. After using android for so many year I kind of know what to expect later down the road with slowdowns, etc.
The Galaxy S8 definitely has a lot going for it. Unless you are all set up in the IOS ecosystem, it might actually be a nice upgrade for your daily driver It's just a pain to re-download and possibly re-pay for some apps especially when everything is currently working nicely.

I personally don't think I'll be getting one. Unless I somehow win one. Samsung is nice, but over time, it slows down and becomes sluggish. Whereas iPhones seem to last longer. Maybe thats just me?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have always been an Android user and Samsung customer. I made the switch in January and I am glad I made the move. I wasn't happy after the situation with the Note 7 and making the change to the Note 5 because I wanted to remain in the Note series. But after being promised to have the 64 gig and it was on back order for two months and shortly before I was to receive it, got an email saying it was cancelled by Samsung. They decided to stop production of the 64 gig and not move forward with it. I was told I could make a switch to the S7 or the edge...both of which I did not like. And to top it off the update released in Dec caused bad battery life even after doing a complete factory reset. I was just over it. Samsung released their smartwatch to work with the iphone and that made me jump on the Apple train. Using the ipad at work, I was familiar with Apple so I didn't go into it blindly. I am good at technology and wasn't hesitant in making the move. I do miss being able to customize but the stability of the iphone and the battery life really make up for it. I changed completely over to the Apple ecosystem. I am extremely happy with Apple.
There are good in both platforms and Samsung does make a beautiful device. I still have the S2 tablet although my iPad Pro 12.9 has taken center stage as well as my Mac Pro. But for stability and phone reliability am sticking with Apple. I just wish the antenna worked with Verizon LTE. It is weak in AZ and am just using the 3G data and not connected to the LTE. I learned this while at the Apple Store. They even said the antenna isn't working well with the Verizon LTE. Maybe one of these days it will but as long as my phone works, am ok with it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Nah! I'm content with my iPhone.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have always been an Android user and Samsung customer. I made the switch in January and I am glad I made the move. I wasn't happy after the situation with the Note 7 and making the change to the Note 5 because I wanted to remain in the Note series. But after being promised to have the 64 gig and it was on back order for two months and shortly before I was to receive it, got an email saying it was cancelled by Samsung. They decided to stop production of the 64 gig and not move forward with it. I was told I could make a switch to the S7 or the edge...both of which I did not like. And to top it off the update released in Dec caused bad battery life even after doing a complete factory reset. I was just over it. Samsung released their smartwatch to work with the iphone and that made me jump on the Apple train. Using the ipad at work, I was familiar with Apple so I didn't go into it blindly. I am good at technology and wasn't hesitant in making the move. I do miss being able to customize but the stability of the iphone and the battery life really make up for it. I changed completely over to the Apple ecosystem. I am extremely happy with Apple.
There are good in both platforms and Samsung does make a beautiful device. I still have the S2 tablet although my iPad Pro 12.9 has taken center stage as well as my Mac Pro. But for stability and phone reliability am sticking with Apple. I just wish the antenna worked with Verizon LTE. It is weak in AZ and am just using the 3G data and not connected to the LTE. I learned this while at the Apple Store. They even said the antenna isn't working well with the Verizon LTE. Maybe one of these days it will but as long as my phone works, am ok with it.

Interesting about the antennas. I haven't heard of this before but kind of makes sense because I had an iPhone on Verizon at first but returned it because of how slow the data was, I'm in NV, eventually the family got on a AT&T family plan and the data is speedy.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
The major issue with Android vs IOS in my opinion is the lack of backup / restore options. Even when I rocked and LOVED the Galaxy Note 7 before its untimely demise, you could sort of back it up using Samsung's own software but it was slow as Christmas and whenever you attempted to restore it may take several attempts to complete the process and then it wasn't a complete restore. As far as lag, I never had any issues, as a matter of fact the GN7 ran smoother than my iPhone 6S+.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
No I won't be getting the S8. I did consider getting the S8 plus to use as a secondary phone as I won't give up my iPhone. However ultimately I'd rather have another iPhone as I'd get more use out of it.

The S8 is a lovely looking phone but it doesn't run iOS and won't play with all of my other Apple devices (Apple Watch, iPad, Apple TVs and MacBook).

For the amount it costs I would like better long term support and customer service.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I promised myself that I would stop bouncing back and forth between android and iOS. The Note phones have always pulled me in, but then I come back to the iPhone. After switching from the Note 7 and being very happy with my 7 Plus, I said that would be it. No reason to switch again only to come back.

Now I see the S8 & S8+....they look and feel a lot like the Note 7 that I loved. The screen is beautiful, it feels really good in the hand and everything seems to run so smooth. All of those things sound and are appealing, but something is different this time. This time I stop and remember how I always come back to the iPhone. How I miss iMessage and FaceTime with my family and friends. How I miss immediate updates, the Apple Store, the best customer service, the integration with AirPods, Apple Watch, iPad and MacBook, the best apps with the best features and more accessories than I could ever use. I actually stop and think about all of that this time and I have no interest in leaving again. I don't know what Apple will do in the fall and if I will buy the iPhone 8 or Edition or whatever, but I won't be buying the Galaxy S8. I am very happy with my 7 Plus and if I have to stick with it for another year or so, that is fine too.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Not after reading this :p.....

5 ways the iPhone 7 is better than the Galaxy S8
5 ways the iPhone 7 is better than the Galaxy S8

The first three really have nothing to do with the device itself.

Performance comparisons between the two have always been silly, in my opinion. The two operating systems do two completely different things. They are two completely different beasts. Comparisons aren't really fair considering there's little consistency between the two.

Continuity is probably the only thing holding me back from trying the S8. It's a really good looking device but I have too many Apple products and I love the way they talk together. Losing that would hurt my workflow.

Guess I'll just have to gaze from afar.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The first three really have nothing to do with the device itself.

Performance comparisons between the two have always been silly, in my opinion. The two operating systems do two completely different things. They are two completely different beasts. Comparisons aren't really fair considering there's little consistency between the two.

Continuity is probably the only thing holding me back from trying the S8. It's a really good looking device but I have too many Apple products and I love the way they talk together. Losing that would hurt my workflow.

Guess I'll just have to gaze from afar.

But I think the Benchmark tests do prove which has a more powerful chip, efficiency and implication of software, etc.

Isn't it good to know that the iPhone 7 will still be faster than the most powerful and newest Android, even with less RAM?

Apple A10 iPhone 7 speeds past Samsung Galaxy S8, Google Pixel, LG G6 & BBK 3T (with 2x RAM)
http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.FkQTG

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Used to be s7 edge user, those curved screens were pain in reality as the error touches u got with it was so annoying.
Looked good tho.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
But I think the Benchmark tests do prove which has a more powerful chip, efficiency and implication of software, etc.

Isn't it good to know that the iPhone 7 will still be faster than the most powerful and newest Android, even with less RAM?

Apple A10 iPhone 7 speeds past Samsung Galaxy S8, Google Pixel, LG G6 & BBK 3T (with 2x RAM)

If I'm being completely honest...I couldn't care less. Lol.

That's just me personally. If the phone works and does what I need it to do, I don't care what tests and papers say. Nor do I care if my phone is more powerful than my neighbors phone. As long as my needs are met, I'm good.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal