Returning to iPhone. (possibly dumb) iOS question.

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone 7 Plus is being delivered tomorrow. I switch phones every few months, and my last experience with iPhone was the 6 Plus. I'm excited. I'm looking forward to the camera and using iMessage again.

Apple does a lot of good things, but it's the little things about iOS that bug me. So I have a dumb question: Does anyone know why Apple won't let us put icons wherever we want? I can understand not allowing certain customizations (such as fonts/icons), but what's the big deal about being able to move icons to the bottom of the screen without the extra hassle of creating blank icons? I'm curious as to the reasoning. As petty as it sounds, that was one of the reasons I left iPhone.

But hey, I'm back (for now)!

Natalie Martin

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
You mean put whatever icons u want at the bottom instead of stock ones already there? Cause if u do then u already can. I have my Facebook Twitter etc at the bottom bar

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
You mean put whatever icons u want at the bottom instead of stock ones already there? Cause if u do then u already can. I have my Facebook Twitter etc at the bottom bar

No, not just the few icons in the bottom bar, but all icons. Right now they're stuck at the top. I like having the top half of the screen empty with icons in folders in the bottom half of the screen.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know why Apple won't let us put icons wherever we want? ...what's the big deal about being able to move icons to the bottom of the screen without the extra hassle of creating blank icons? I'm curious as to the reasoning. As petty as it sounds, that was one of the reasons I left iPhone.

My guess is Apple thinks (and rightfully so IMO) that it keeps an organized and uniform look to all iPhones regardless of user. Apple designs the iPhone to be simple and intuitive to anyone, albeit with sacrifices for someone who wants to really customize the springboard. That being said, I can see Apple letting users re-arrange icons more freely at some point -- we did eventually get folders!

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes, screen customization and widgets are definitely appealing. I feel like it's the only thing I miss about android. Not a big enough deal to sway me back. Hopefully some day!

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Rumors from a well respected mostly correct "leaker" said the other day iOS 11 will have visual changes. I'm hoping they give us some customization. We don't need to do every little thing but this would be top 5 for sure.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Nope those are not TRUE widgets. I'm not knocking IOS, it does a lot of things great but it's widgets and/or customization options suck.

A widget is an element of a graphical user interface (GUI) that displays information or provides a specific way for a user to interact with the operating system or an application.
So, iOS 10 does have widgets. And there's no such things as 'not true widgets'. It is or it's not

HBLEY

Banned
Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
iOS the most decent update was just weeks ago. This one you're definitely going to enjoy!

No you can't put icons everywhere, this is never going to happen. Although you can put icons of most used apps below the screen on the lower bar.

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
A widget is an element of a graphical user interface (GUI) that displays information or provides a specific way for a user to interact with the operating system or an application.
So, iOS 10 does have widgets. And there's no such things as 'not true widgets'. It is or it's not

Okay, I'll rephrase my earlier post... The current "widgets" in IOS aren't as useful as the ones currently available on the majority of Android devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'll rephrase my earlier post... The current "widgets" in IOS aren't as useful as the ones currently available on the majority of Android devices.

Let's rephrase......The current "widgets" in iOS aren't as useful [to you] as the ones currently available on the majority of Android devices. Right?...

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Indeed the usefulness of the "widgets" are purely subjective to the individual. Also let me say that I'm not hating on the iPhone as I love my Apple Black 7 Plus. As I said in a few earlier post... there's a WHOLE lot to love about the IOS ecosystem.

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
iOS the most decent update was just weeks ago. This one you're definitely going to enjoy!

No you can't put icons everywhere, this is never going to happen. Although you can put icons of most used apps below the screen on the lower bar.

That's my original question. What reasoning is there for not being able to put the icons where you want? Someone mentioned uniformity, but being able to place icons more freely doesn't seem like it would affect the uniformity of iOS. Why is it a "never going to happen" thing? It's not that big a deal and I don't want to drag out my point, but sometimes it's the little things that matter. Seems like the people who are defend the rigidity of this are only OK with it because Apple isn't doing it (yet). If they ever allow for it, I think others will appreciate the bit of freedom and convenience a little more customization provides.

HBLEY

Banned
Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
That's my original question. What reasoning is there for not being able to put the icons where you want? Someone mentioned uniformity, but being able to place icons more freely doesn't seem like it would affect the uniformity of iOS. Why is it a "never going to happen" thing? It's not that big a deal and I don't want to drag out my point, but sometimes it's the little things that matter. Seems like the people who are defend the rigidity of this are only OK with it because Apple isn't doing it (yet). If they ever allow for it, I think others will appreciate the bit of freedom and convenience a little more customization provides.

Yes and the reason I said "Never going to happen" is because I read it on macrumor and iphonedevdesk forums too. This isn't happening anytime soon.

Apple says this move is like Android.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
My iPhone 7 Plus is being delivered tomorrow. I switch phones every few months, and my last experience with iPhone was the 6 Plus. I'm excited. I'm looking forward to the camera and using iMessage again.

Apple does a lot of good things, but it's the little things about iOS that bug me. So I have a dumb question: Does anyone know why Apple won't let us put icons wherever we want? I can understand not allowing certain customizations (such as fonts/icons), but what's the big deal about being able to move icons to the bottom of the screen without the extra hassle of creating blank icons? I'm curious as to the reasoning. As petty as it sounds, that was one of the reasons I left iPhone.

But hey, I'm back (for now)!

I don't get it either to be honest. I didn't realize how much easier it is to use a phone with the icons at the bottom of the screen until I got a One M8 a few years ago. It's not like it taxes the system or anything. Apple prides itself on being easy to use, and one thing that would make iOS much easier to use is to have icons at the bottom of the screen. Especially on the Plus models. It made sense when the displays were 4 inches and under, but now it doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I love most things about iOS. This is just one that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. I'm 99% sure I'll be back to iOS when the new iPhones are released.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2