I've had "Hey Siri" turned on since it became available but in light of recent news about government/hacker monitoring through smart televisions and other devices I'm beginning to second guess my decision. I generally trust that Apple is looking out for me but no system is 100% safe against intrusion.

Do you have "Hey Siri" activated on your iPhone? Have you thought about shutting it off? If you already have it turned off, why?

I'm interested in everyone's opinion!
    03-19-2017 12:31 PM
    I don't mind Hey Siri. What are they going to hear from me? All of my transactions are typically in Russian so they wouldn't understand any of it!

But seriously -- no worries here. Nothing shady to hide.... and I think if they can get into my phone anyway, they'll have browser history, etc., too. Plus they can probably hear through my windows with the right mic as well, so it's a slippery slope towards a tin foil hat!
    03-19-2017 12:38 PM
    I use it every now and again to set a timer for something...like when I'm cooking and my hands are still dirty or whatever.
    03-19-2017 12:47 PM
    I have mine activated on both devices. Siri & I don't get along too well on my 6s Plus but the male British Siri on my 7 plus is quite delightful There's nothing the government will hear from my end anyway. Plus I feel if they were surveilling me, they probably have other means to do so. With all this technology in place, I feel Siri is the least of our worries.
    03-19-2017 12:51 PM
    I would use it on my 7 plus but it never works properly, it takes ages to set it up and then it never responds to hey Siri, I don't think it likes my London accent
    03-19-2017 01:24 PM
    I've always had it off because I'm uneasy with the idea of my phone constantly listening for "Hey Siri".

Not that I have anything to hide, it's just a matter of principles, for me.
    03-19-2017 02:55 PM
    Never use it but I have it on so big brother can listen in on me.
    03-19-2017 05:17 PM
    I have it activated but I never use it. I don't find it very useful.
    03-19-2017 05:43 PM
    I have it on but I rarely use it.....Siri is a pretty pathetic virtual assistant.
    Torch4x4 likes this.
    03-19-2017 05:58 PM
    Never use it but I have it on so big brother can listen in on me.
    03-19-2017 06:44 PM
    I use it a lot! Love it! When driving I will simply say hey Siri play (whatever song) and bam it's playing in my car! Or, hey Siri text so and so, etc. There are times I have to tell her to change the text, but for the most part, I'm very happy with it.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-20-2017 12:34 AM
    I have Apple Music so any song I think of, Siri will find it and play it. The two work awesome together!
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-20-2017 12:35 AM
    I use it all the time. Especially when driving
    Annie_i6s and nikkisharif like this.
    03-20-2017 12:58 AM
    I like Siri. Easy to have her add to my calendar and let me know the weather. I can laugh by asking her silly questions . Ask her what she thinks about Cortana. It will make you laugh.
    SydAussie and nikkisharif like this.
    03-20-2017 01:05 AM
    Yea I do but it is annoying to ask it to identify music. When I say " hey Siri" and it opens to listen what I say next. It thinks the music in background is my speech and says that it can't understand my request.
    03-20-2017 01:07 AM
    And sometimes when watching some YouTube videos, the Siri interprets that voice as "Hey Siri" and it activates in middle of video.
    03-20-2017 01:38 AM
    Yea I do but it is annoying to ask it to identify music. When I say " hey Siri" and it opens to listen what I say next. It thinks the music in background is my speech and says that it can't understand my request.
    not sure if you're pausing like i used to but i learned its best not to. instead of saying hey Siri and waiting to hear that ding, indicating it's ready for your command, before you speak, what I learned to do was just say hey siri and the command in one complete sentence with no pause and it works every time. like 'hey siri read messages'. if you say hey Siri and pause and wait for that ding before speaking, it seems to guarantee that the background noise will corrupt the voice recognition; however with the same background noise if you just say hey Siri and the command in one sentence with no pause it seems to disregard background noise. this also works flawlessly when a Bluetooth headset is connected to the phone, like my jawbone era. when I say hey Siri and my command I hear the ding in my headset but it just goes straight into responding to my command. you might know this but i thought i'd throw it out there.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-20-2017 04:45 AM
    Mine always pauses, but I tend to use it mostly in the car with bluetooth.
    Truman82 likes this.
    03-20-2017 04:51 AM
    Mine always pauses, but I tend to use it mostly in the car with bluetooth.
    Yeah meant music played via car stereo, not phone
    robertk328 likes this.
    03-20-2017 05:45 AM
    Yeah meant music played via car stereo, not phone
    In that case it would still mute mine even if it is from the regular car audio.

It would be muted, switch to Bluetooth for Siri, and then proceed when it was finished. Does yours not do that?
    03-20-2017 06:06 AM
    I use the Hey Siri feature almost everyday. It's a valuable feature to me, especially when I'm driving. In fact, I'll be driving back from Kentucky later this morning so I'm sure I will be using the Hey Siri option a few times during my 6 hour or so drive...
    Rob Phillips and nikkisharif like this.
    03-20-2017 06:10 AM
    Used it earlier to send a text while my hands were busy and didn't want to take the time to pick the phone up and tap out a message
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-20-2017 06:53 AM
    I use it all the time! I use it to set my alarm when I go to bed. I used it to read a text when I'm driving. I use it to play music from a playlist. While she does frustrate me at times, overall, Siri & I have a good relationship!
    Last edited by Annie_i6s; 03-20-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-20-2017 08:09 AM
    I honestly don't use it at all. When I first got my 7 Plus I used it a few times but then I stopped. It's enabled. Do I like the idea of possible hacking by the government? Nope. But if it's going to happen there isn't much I can do about it. And they aren't going to find much of interested on my phone anyway.
    03-20-2017 08:24 AM
    I use it. Not often, but yes it does come in handy for situations that others have mentioned. Especially good for me during motorcycle season and I have gloves on. I can simply ask it to call someone, read text, play music, open maps, and all of the other useful features it provides.
    03-20-2017 10:13 AM
61 123